• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

help 580 ext wont start

R
Nov 28, 2009
i have a 1995 ext 580 mtn cat efi. i started it in october with no problems. today it wouldnt start i replaced the plugs and the battery and it still wont start. what do i do now? is there something im missing?

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
When you turn the key on or pull the kill switch do you hear the fuel pump run for about 3 seconds? If not start there. I would check the wiring and connections from the kill switch. It has to be pluged in or the jumper plug has to be installed, you can t just unplug the kill switch on those sleds. You also need to check for spark. If you have the fuel pump running and you have spark, there are 2 relays on the back side of the computer box. one runs the injectors. I have seen those get corroded and stop working.

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Efi

I had a guy bring me a 580 EFI just a few days ago with a dead fuel pump. I took the dash off and found one wire to the key switch had come off. Plugged it back in and it started the second pull. Also you can hook a battery directly to the fuel pump with jumper wires to make sure it works and then maybe help figure out where your trouble is.

Like Rixster said there are 2 relays on this sled one runs the fuel pump and the other is a power relay. If the relays get moisture in them they will not work and the sled will not start. the relays should be located on a panel near the ECU if I remember correctlly one should be blue and one should be brown. When you find them heat them up with a hairdryer and see if it starts.

Hope this helps Jeff

Premium Features