• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST FORUMS: Member Comments on "Letter to All Members"

Status
Not open for further replies.
K
Jul 29, 2009
wow..7 months from good to dead..scary......

It happened much quicker than that. It was pretty messed up. All of the long time users were so bitter that they started going back and deleting all of their old posts that had useful information in them. The mods eventually had to lock everyone out of deleting old posts. The archives of the site are so screwed up now with all the deleted posts you can't find anything useful anymore. It's a shame because there was a ton of great info on that site. I just hope the same thing doesn't happen here. Even though I mostly just a lurker I like this place.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Why not just have a moderation section so that the entire user group can see
who is moderating what and for what reason..

If everything a moderator moderated was visible to everyone, the abuse would end immediately. Just about anyone could be a mod and no one would have to run tell you something stinks...
And if everyone would just follow the long standing rules, we would have almost no need for moderators to begin with.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
<<I find it very hard to believe given what you've stated your past was/is, that ownership one day came up with all these new ideas and decided to make you the poster boy to take the wrath of being the red-headed stepchild.>>

I believe it all!!!!! BruuHahahhaa! (best Dr. Evil voice)

;-)
he he he.
Always liked that voice.
It a mixed bag.
When I came on board I presented them with a LONG list of all the possible things that could be done within the VBulletin framework. They got to pick and choose what they wanted or didn't want, what they thought would be useful and what wouldn't. Prior to that they were only running what had been provided in the most stripped down restricted implementation of VBulletin.

My mistake was that I under rated who close the servers were to max capacity, and it wasn't till we started seeing problems that we realized there was little or no overheard left available. Of course all of this was happening just as the sight was heading into it's peak season, so the daily loads were going up and up each night, and the problem quickly compounded itself into the massive slowdowns everyone has seen recently.

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
I'm going to pay. I just wonder if its going to turn out the way HP wants it to. Please dont take any of this the wrong way. I really like surfing snowest. been doing so since 2001.

But, it seems to me that there weren't any problems before all of the changes started taking place this year.

I find the statement that snowest.com has lost money for it entire existence to be very hard to believe. I'm sorry but nothing that costs money runs on hopes and dreams.

The magazine and snowest.com go hand in hand. How many people saw something in the mag and then came here to read more about it. Or read about a product then bought it. Then the vendor buys more ad space with the mag.

I've stated this before. I know nothing about running a website. I do how ever run a sizeable farm operation. A profitable operation at that.

I only even mention this because, if something is having trouble floating itself from a profitablilty stand point, it needs to be evaluated why. Just throwing money at issue doesnt usually fix things without correcting the root of the problem.

All of the forums that i participate in, the free ones always have more members than the member only or limited ones.

I just checked, dootalk.com has 63,000 members. Vs. 35,000 here. Could it be demographics? Brand site? I dont know. But I still think the question should be asked. why do they have two times the membership?

Myself, I think just a simple sled site is great. I'm not sold on all of these new features. Seems like alot of fluff to me. People dont come here for fluff, they come here to hang with old buddies, meet new ones, and talk sleds. And sell something in the swapmeet once in a while. Thats it. Its just that simple.

If it aint broke, dont fix it. It seems like adding new fluff to snowest.com and making the hardware in place work harder and consume up more server processing power, just the opposite should happen? maybe thats a sign that its a bad idea? Just talking out loud. Like I said, i dont know the first thing about runnng a website. But why not cut the fluff and get things stabilized on the current sytem, since HP is having a money issure with floating the site. I dont see how buying a bunch of new hardware and then having the maintenece costs to support the new gear helps the situation when money is an issue to begin with. Not to mention you now have to pay for the new gear just to be even with where you are now, not counting bringing a return on the investment.

I will pay to be a member. I just hope all of the greatness of this place doesn't evaporate. That would be a real shame.

Signed, dumb cow milker who likes to surf snowest.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Because people are tired of the heavily biased liberal viewpoints. On the other hand, The Wall Street Journal is doing well in both print and electronic versions.

Wow.

You really believe THIS is the reason huh? You're the visionary that print media needs right now.

This theory is beyond even being worth discussing.
You can twist reality to match your perceptions, but it's not a very effective way to go through life.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Because people are tired of the heavily biased liberal viewpoints. On the other hand, The Wall Street Journal is doing well in both print and electronic versions.

This is your response? Are you kidding me? If this is what you actually believe then this site is in real trouble. Based on you answer 'biased, lberal viewpoints" CNN, NBC, basically everyone beside FOX will be closing the doors soon?

After this response, I guess it doesn't suprise me you didn't respond to any of my other statements.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
HardCoreSledder.com

Our members have made a total of 4,830,305 posts
We have 60,723 registered members

Most users ever online was 4,252 on Jun 23 2007, 07:27 PM

Server platform:

img060.png

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I find the statement that snowest.com has lost money for it entire existence to be very hard to believe. I'm sorry but nothing that costs money runs on hopes and dreams.
While I can't prove it to you, I can say that I have been told the exact same thing by multiple corporate officers. So in all honestly I have no reason to think they are all misleading me.

The magazine and snowest.com go hand in hand. How many people saw something in the mag and then came here to read more about it. Or read about a product then bought it. Then the vendor buys more ad space with the mag.
I think thats a popular perception, but its really not true.

The magazine and the website have in fact had almost nothing to do with each other in reality. The staff of the magazine have had little or no interaction with the forums, there has been no dedicated staff, no cross posting of material, no content generated for the forums, ect..

In 11 years, these last 3 months have had FAR more interaction than ever before, and in 2010, for the very first time, the magazine and the forums will start to work together as we begin importing content directly from the editorial staff of SnoWest Mag.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
HardCoreSledder.com

Our members have made a total of 4,830,305 posts
We have 60,723 registered members

Most users ever online was 4,252 on Jun 23 2007, 07:27 PM

The numbers quoted for our site represent only 2 years of history, as everything prior to that was lost when they upgraded.

If I recall, the membership ID# on this site in somewhere around 70,000 and the cumulative past postings were in excess of 7 million??

But all of that is history, and unless someone one days finds an old backup tape, we can never bring any of it back. So, SnoWest as it stands now is a pretty young site.

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
While I can't prove it to you, I can say that I have been told the exact same thing by multiple corporate officers. So in all honestly I have no reason to think they are all misleading me.

I think thats a popular perception, but its really not true.

The magazine and the website have in fact had almost nothing to do with each other in reality. The staff of the magazine have had little or no interaction with the forums, there has been no dedicated staff, no cross posting of material, no content generated for the forums, ect..

In 11 years, these last 3 months have had FAR more interaction than ever before, and in 2010, for the very first time, the magazine and the forums will start to work together as we begin importing content directly from the editorial staff of SnoWest Mag.

I surely cant be the only one that see's a product in the print mag of snowest or modstock and come online and click search?

I really hope this all goes very well and i'm forced to eat crow on everything i've said. Outside of actually going sledding, the next best thing to me is reading about the tech stuff and other entertaining threads this site has.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Rankings: Big Boards

<<If I recall, the membership ID# on this site in somewhere around 70,000 and the cumulative past postings were in excess of 7 million??>>

Are you sure that isn't being recalled from another site with lots of features like video chats, malls, treadmills and business centers?

;-)

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I surely cant be the only one that see's a product in the print mag of snowest or modstock and come online and click search?

I really hope this all goes very well and i'm forced to eat crow on everything i've said. Outside of actually going sledding, the next best thing to me is reading about the tech stuff and other entertaining threads this site has.
Well, my point being, is that we hope to bring the two entities closer together in 2010 and give our members/readers a better combined experience as a result.

And I don't want you or anyone else to have to eat crow.
The goal, at the end of the day, is to make it work, and work well.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Have you ever considered pressing the BROWSE ALL button?

The BROWSE ALL does nothing for knowing where to put information and does nothing for information that pertains to 2 or more subforums.

The BROWSE ALL is the only thing that has kept me from bailing off completely.

sled_guy

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Perhaps I misunderstand the complaints.
In general, people are complaining that its too difficult to enter into a sled forum, and then have to go into each of the sub-forums to check for the daily posts. they say that the extra clicks on the mouse have destroyed the sense of community they had before they had to take the extra effort to drill down one level.

So we made the BROWSE ALL that allows you to view 100% of the forum contents in the exact same manner as before.

Your the first person to complain about posting troubles, or not knowing which forum to place your new thread in?

Give me some more insight into how the major categories they choose are making it hard for you to know where to place your thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features