• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HIGH MILEAGE TURBO??

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Hey there I’ve got a 2016 axys 163-3” with approximately 3500 miles on it. New top end about to go in.

If I don’t check a new 850 I’m considering throwing a turbo on the 16. Pump gas deal, I’m fine with 5 lbs, likely a Silber but BD or MTNTK are the other options I’d consider. (Still need to research which one will keep best bottom for my tree riding).

Couple questions:
- am I at a mileage I should maybe just pass on the turbo idea? Or so long as I pop pistons in on a regular basis will it matter?
- what kind of mileage have you seen on turbo’d Axys with decent reliability?

I have never owned a turbo sled but it seems gone are the days of unreliable turbo setups, from reading and talking around seems like pull and go turbos are here.
Thanks for any input.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
I wouldn’t invest in a turbo on a 3500 mile sled. My personal preference. Your gonna start having other issues even if the motor holds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I wouldn’t invest in a turbo on a 3500 mile sled. My personal preference. Your gonna start having other issues even if the motor holds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree. Unless you plan on tearing the sled down to bare tunnel by each individual component and go through it, I’d pass.

Turbo’s need good sound powertrain components (entire engine, clutches, computer control systems, wiring integrity) just to name a few.

A little wear in each adds up at the track and too often when there is an issue, the turbo kit is unfairly blamed.

I really don’t even run an NA sled pass 2,000-2,500 miles without a full complete tear down and nowadays as cheaply built as they are and as expensive as parts are, I have stopped doing that.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
You can get pretty good life from a turbo motor, figure around 500-1000 miles before a rebuild lmao in all seriousness I would not turbo a 3500 mile sled you are asking for problems. Best bet, new sled, good turbo system ride 1 maybe 2 years, sell, repeat process :face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Good compression good to go turbo it the issues are easily found answers for. IMO turbo makes the 800 pro motor more durable.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Depends your plans with the sled. If you are the "keep the sled until I die" type of guy, I think its fine to do it, assuming *everything* is in good shape. EG, motor mounts, clutching, relays, exhaust valves, crank runout etc.

If you are the "I sell my sled all the time" guys, then yeah, its money wasted.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Depends your plans with the sled. If you are the "keep the sled until I die" type of guy, I think its fine to do it, assuming *everything* is in good shape. EG, motor mounts, clutching, relays, exhaust valves etc.

If you are the "I sell my sled all the time" guys, then yeah, its money wasted.

Good advice

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Thanks for the input!
I’m generally the leave it stock and upgrade sled every 3 years guy. But the Axys chassis fits my riding so well and I’m at the point where the cost isn’t making as much sense to me to buy new, the cost of a turbo is pretty reasonable now, and I’d like to step up the power game a bit. I guess “a bit” would be a pipe and some easy mods really. The turbo question is more of a could I get away with a lot more riding with more maintenance to keep a turbo sled going for some more years. Either my 16 or a new 19 is going to stay with me for a longer time then I usually do is what I’m getting at, but want the power.

The smart choice I know is buy the 850 and run out the warranty.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Semi-unrelated, anyone looking for the best performance at lowest price, go buy a hold over 18. Turbo it. You'll be all in for less than the price of an 850, and run circles around it allllllllllllllllllllll day.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Carry over $9000.
Turbo $3800

12,800$

Less than half???? Run circles around it??? LMAO.

Where did I write less than half? :face-icon-small-con

I actually wrote "less than an 850". Thanks for the math to prove my point!

Anyone that thinks an 850 (840) motor at 8,000 feet is going to remotely compete with a turbo (all other things, most importantly, rider, staying equal) must have really struggled with basic arithmetic in elementary school...

Put another way, its pretty hard to tell me than an extra 40 horsepower (this is the delta 5psi will add) in the exact same chassis is somehow going to "perform the same as". Again, you must be using a different form of math!

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
I would just throw the turbo on with a new top-end and a good inspection/replacement of any worn parts! continue the regular up keep. I ride at 0-4000 ft 5 pounds and make a NA 800 look like a kids toy and not just on top-end but all the way through. I ride trees and lots of boon docking. their a few things you will need to get after the turbo IMO... clutch kit {worth every penny and save you a lot of cash in belts} lock outs for the skid {unless you are like me and dig carving through the trees with only 16 inches of your track in the snow} and a torque arm stop. and im with JJ the turbo will walk around that 850 all day and have you pinching your nipples and begging for more at the end of the day!!! as long as you keep up with the sled the new yes gone are the days of unreliable turbos.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Where did I write less than half? :face-icon-small-con

I actually wrote "less than an 850". Thanks for the math to prove my point!

Anyone that thinks an 850 (840) motor at 8,000 feet is going to remotely compete with a turbo (all other things, most importantly, rider, staying equal) must have really struggled with basic arithmetic in elementary school...

Put another way, its pretty hard to tell me than an extra 40 horsepower (this is the delta 5psi will add) in the exact same chassis is somehow going to "perform the same as". Again, you must be using a different form of math!

If you want to look at black and white... sure, but measuring the Axys is in a grey area.

Lets go back to the math first. 5lbs with a KPA, silicone tubing on pump gas isn't 40 hp......period. I know the math, my turbo elementary school as you call it started over 20 years ago.

Then you put a insufficient clutch set up to it and your getting even less to the ground. Then add on top of that a insufficient shock set up, and you have a sled that wont get out of its way no matter how much hp you add to it. You can add 14 lbs of boost, and it will still be a turd.

Then enter the grey area as I called it of the Axys, This sled was designed to be on edge and in the trees. Just like the pro's ride it. If you want to compare on a open hard pack flat, sure the turbo will win and run circles around it. Put them in the steep, tight trees. That's what the Axys was designed for. Put a stock 850, with proper shock and clutch set up, compared to the half azz turbo. The same rider will ride better and be faster on the 850.

Someday you will understand its not always about the math and HP numbers. Like I said before good luck.... maybe someday we will run into you on the mnt. and we can discuss it.

M

MOABNUT

Dec 4, 2012
I have to agree with buying a left over and putting a Turbo on it. I did this last year and I love it. Also put a Turbo on my Son's 16 Axys. He is a very aggressive rider! The crank went out at 1600 miles. Cost me $4,000. Warranty denied claim.
I think 2 years max on a Turbo sled then sell it!!

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Thanks for the input!
I’m generally the leave it stock and upgrade sled every 3 years guy. But the Axys chassis fits my riding so well and I’m at the point where the cost isn’t making as much sense to me to buy new, the cost of a turbo is pretty reasonable now, and I’d like to step up the power game a bit. I guess “a bit” would be a pipe and some easy mods really. The turbo question is more of a could I get away with a lot more riding with more maintenance to keep a turbo sled going for some more years. Either my 16 or a new 19 is going to stay with me for a longer time then I usually do is what I’m getting at, but want the power.

The smart choice I know is buy the 850 and run out the warranty.

If you go the turbo route, spend the money and get IS clutching with him doing a full rebuild. You will be way happier with the performance. Some clutching from the turbo dealers need attention. My experience was from a year ago, maybe times have changed.

All I can tell you, IS clutching is spot on without belt dust.

YB

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
If you want to look at black and white... sure, but measuring the Axys is in a grey area.

Lets go back to the math first. 5lbs with a KPA, silicone tubing on pump gas isn't 40 hp......period. I know the math, my turbo elementary school as you call it started over 20 years ago.

Then you put a insufficient clutch set up to it and your getting even less to the ground. Then add on top of that a insufficient shock set up, and you have a sled that wont get out of its way no matter how much hp you add to it. You can add 14 lbs of boost, and it will still be a turd.

Then enter the grey area as I called it of the Axys, This sled was designed to be on edge and in the trees. Just like the pro's ride it. If you want to compare on a open hard pack flat, sure the turbo will win and run circles around it. Put them in the steep, tight trees. That's what the Axys was designed for. Put a stock 850, with proper shock and clutch set up, compared to the half azz turbo. The same rider will ride better and be faster on the 850.

Someday you will understand its not always about the math and HP numbers. Like I said before good luck.... maybe someday we will run into you on the mnt. and we can discuss it.

First things first, no doubt stock sleds are amazing these days. They absolutely have their place and with a capable rider can go just about anywhere.

That said an Axys is probably the most user friendly 2 stroke turbo going. There are countless clutch setups to pick from, the skid doesn't need much to be setup for boost (stiffer RTS spring and valving), the static weight distribution makes the sled ride really well even at slow speed with minimal transfer and the 800 CFI with a turbo build power really really well. There isn't much of a learning curve to riding one (especially a low boost setup).

A turbo'd Axys is *the* most capable tree sled in the world, especially when things get deep. Literally every single Polaris pro has one. Why? Cause they rock! They are fun! They are incredibly capable! They are more capable than their stock 800 (and now 850!). Every pro I'm buds with rides their stocker at a 1/5 ratio, if that, compared to their boosted sled. So tell me again how my "grey area" math is wrong? If anything Polaris would prefer they ride their stocker more.

We can debate actual horsepower all you want, but I promise a sled with a good map running 5psi will outclimb, outperform and generally be a more capable sled, all other things being equal, *especially* when things get technical. Again, not saying a turbo is for everyone, but that's not the point of this thread. Just like in the car world, some people love the super linear power delivery of an NA engine. Some people love the pop of a turbo. Both require their own style! We are talking about what is most capable, and what is the best bang for the buck - I realize I got off topic!

No doubt I'd take a boosted 800 with nothing but a little clutch refinement over a stock 850. There are other chassis this can be a harder decision, as they aren't out-of-the-crate as easy to setup for boost (ski-doo - awful skid). In this case, I don't think its a very difficult decision if you are looking for straight up performance.

K
Feb 5, 2015
I have 60 plus days on one of my turbo axys with zero issues and never put a wrench to it for repairs. about your milage stock engine , reeds clutches ect. go through it and make sure motor mounts are tight add a set of drivers and throw a turbo on it. personally id do a drop in short block instead of a top end though 2-2500 dollars and lots can be bought with a warranty even if you are going to turbo it

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
what would be the "cut-off" mileage wise to not turbo?
I know, difficult question to answer

I bet at the end of the season my sled will have 1K miles on it. I am debating keeping it and throwing a silber on it or selling, picking up a left over '18 and turboing that one

Premium Features