• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kurt's Polaris Gear Down Kit?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I put a new bottom bolt in periodically (every 500miles) as well as constantly check the torque on it (45ft/lbs). This bolt is coming loose even with blue loctite. Seen way too many of these break even on stock sleds.

FWIW; It appears that a lot of the '15's drive shaft splines got cut too loose! Causing the sprockets (regardless of who's) to rock (both axially and radially) on the shaft. No bolt is going to tolerate this, and no bolt is going to get rid of this extra play, regardless of quality or torque value. The only cure is to get the Drive shaft replaced with one that is in tolerance. Whether by warranty or your wallet. Definitely check the fit while at the parts counter. Don't accept a sloppy one! IMO this is the reason for the new rash of belt failures on the '15's. No bolt, belt or even chain will tolerate this poor Quality Control.

ISO 9001 is a bunch of bureaucratic BS, it has no real assurance of quality at all. Just another agency audit that critiques the quality of the paperwork associated with the company. Has no relevance to the real world products it produces. IME anyway, Sorry for the rant. Good Luck!

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
hmm

No problems in 300+ hard miles on my 15. Replaced the stock bolts when installed kit and torqued to 50 ft/lbs....????

I'll hafta take the gears off and check for proper fitment, don't remember any play in em...

Yes, that says 50....

Last edited:
P

prosledder

Nov 26, 2007
Boone, Iowa
TTT for anyone else familiar with Kurt's gear down kit and clutching. I'm thinking about going this route on my 2015 Pro. I ride at 10,000 feet but also ride around home (sea level)and I'm wondering if their clutch kit has the ability to accommodate both elevations. I called them today but they are closed on Mondays....I try them again.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
does the kurts kit come with new bolts for the sprockets?
do you reuse the factory bolts or just get a new set?

thanks

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
TTT for anyone else familiar with Kurt's gear down kit and clutching. I'm thinking about going this route on my 2015 Pro. I ride at 10,000 feet but also ride around home (sea level)and I'm wondering if their clutch kit has the ability to accommodate both elevations. I called them today but they are closed on Mondays....I try them again.

I would say not the same clutch kit will not work for 10,000 elevation and back home in Iowa. You will over rev like crazy at that lower elevation due to not enough weight in the primary. You would probably be able to use the helix in the secondary but I would definitely get a different spring and weights for back home. my $0.02

P

prosledder

Nov 26, 2007
Boone, Iowa
I would say not the same clutch kit will not work for 10,000 elevation and back home in Iowa. You will over rev like crazy at that lower elevation due to not enough weight in the primary. You would probably be able to use the helix in the secondary but I would definitely get a different spring and weights for back home. my $0.02

Thanks! I did hear back from Kurt's and they recommend using the lower elevation ramp on the helix and just using the appropriate stock weights for my elevation. I figured as much but wanted to double check. It actually really appeals to me because buying two sets of adjustable weights can get expensive.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
where are you guys getting new belts for the kit?
I need to get a couple 36mm belts.
I picked up the sprockets from a buddy, but need belts.

thanks

Premium Features