• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MTNTK's Hot Air Eliminator AKA "THE BLOWHOLE"

Powderforlife907

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2011
if the fan fails to keep clutch tempatures down and a belt blows i would hope to get a new fan

its not like its going to stop me from riding...??? ok :crazy:

Well now.. What if your belt deflection was off causing excessive heat because of lack of maintenance by you? Why would he warranty the fan when it could likely be your fault.
Meh long day...

Last edited:
P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
Sooooo......, back on topic.....

I really like the idea of the blowhole and think it is a great product. My biggest complaint is actually the cost but they came up with it, no one else has offered an alternative, so it is what it is. Before this came out I had purchased a similar style fan and was going install it about in the same place to try to lower belt temps. Never got around to it and the MTNTK setup is a lot cleaner than I would be able to do, so more than likely I will be picking one up sooner than later. With that said I will absolutely be installing a switch so I can turn it off and on. I'm still surprised it doesn't come with on to begin with??

As far as performance goes I've thought about his quite a bit and I'm not sure if will actually lower belts temps while riding enough to make a huge difference. With the direct contact with the clutches and the amount of heat that is produced on those truly deep days (when you would really need the thing) I'm just not sure your going to see enough airflow to make a significant difference. Now what I think it will do is allow the belt/clutches to cool much faster once you stop riding and are no longer adding heat to the system. Compared to stopping every so often with your side panel open I think the blowhole will do a much better job. Plus you wouldn't actually have to completely stop as long as you were just cruising down a trail under a limited load it will help dissipate the heat faster. I'm actually really surprised we haven't seen some real testing with actually before and after data by either MTNTK or one of us nerdy consumers always interested in numbers. But hopefully I am wrong and it works better than advertised by making a huge difference in temps during actual riding under heavy loads. When/if I pick one up I'll be sure to post up my personal results.

PV

Last edited:

PMSPOLARIS

Premium Sponsor
Premium Member
Feb 21, 2009
Ashton Idaho
www.pmspolaris.com
Burning Ring of Fire!

I notice where the under hood air exits my knees are pressed up against often. How annoying is the hot air blowing on ones leg all day? Thanks

I HAVE RIDDEN with the Blow Hole FOR 3 YEARS IN THE TESTING END OF IT. Valid Concern, the hot air was not a problem for me, but then again my knees are not glued to the front of the sled all day I ride a ton standing up. But even the times I was on the trail ride home it was kind of nice to feel some warmth.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
I HAVE RIDDEN with the Blow Hole FOR 3 YEARS IN THE TESTING END OF IT. Valid Concern, the hot air was not a problem for me, but then again my knees are not glued to the front of the sled all day I ride a ton standing up. But even the times I was on the trail ride home it was kind of nice to feel some warmth.

More importantly, after three years of testing what are the temp difference numbers with and without the kit?

PV

go-on-two

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bc canada
Best and safest option for connecting Blowhole

What is the safest way to hook the Blowhole up to a 2013 Polaris pro, i have read a few posts that it may not be wise to run directly off the DC connection located above the clutch cover??

H

HOTRODREDNECK

Oct 28, 2008
COLORADO
i got mine shipped to me ( in 2 days by the way:face-icon-small-hap thx mtntk) the directions are on there web site but they dont show a pic of where to plug it in for power. anybody got a pic on how/where they connected it?

go-on-two

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bc canada
Maybe Mountainhorse will chime in, he has alot of very usefull info. He had mentioned in an earlier post i read somewhere to stay away from the dc pigtail above the clutch cover, saying it was connected to the Ecm. So whats is the best and safest way to power up the blowhole??

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Yea... don't use the DC Power TEST plug at the clutch cover...That is connected to the ECU and is intended for INPUT power for ECU testing.
(Regardless of what ANY aftermarket company will tell you).

I pulled the quote from another thread.

I'll look and see if I can find a link to the big DC power thread from a few weeks ago.

Here we go. This link has a ton of input on DC POwer on a PRO

Last edited:
R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
Help me understand why we are doing all of this air the way we are. We are working to keep clutches cool correct? If that is the case why do we pull the air out where the clutches are? From what I am seeing we are pulling fresh cool air from the mag side. Pulling it over a hot pipe, over a hot motor to try and cool our clutch with all the hot air form under the hood. What if the fan was on the other side pulling the hot air out that side?

Or is the vent on the mag side to let air out? I understand I maybe looking at it all wrong but I think about all of the under hood heat that we have and then we pull it all where we want to cool.....

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Help me understand why we are doing all of this air the way we are. We are working to keep clutches cool correct? If that is the case why do we pull the air out where the clutches are? From what I am seeing we are pulling fresh cool air from the mag side. Pulling it over a hot pipe, over a hot motor to try and cool our clutch with all the hot air form under the hood. What if the fan was on the other side pulling the hot air out that side?

Or is the vent on the mag side to let air out? I understand I maybe looking at it all wrong but I think about all of the under hood heat that we have and then we pull it all where we want to cool.....

actually there are input vents all around the clutches to push cool air in and hot air out both sides by your knees, with the fan on the clutch side to draw out even more hot air. many times those vents get covered with snow and ice, but the blow hole keeps removing hot air from the clutch compartment. Its not going to eliminate all the hot air under the hood but if it can reduce temps by 40 degrees thats huge. (* disclaimer i have no idea how much it reduces temps, but just know that it does reduce under hood temps)

This kit worked awesome in the deep snow, in the tight trees where you arent moving fast. When you are able to move fast and have airflow (climbing hills, fast side hills, etc) having some good panel vents will move more air across the clutches. For me the combination of 2 cool air vents and the blow hole covered every riding condition i encountered last year.

I dont have any temperature data, but I do have the grab a clutch and belt feel after playing in the trees getting into some of our secret stashes and the sleds with the blow holes are noticeably cooler.

R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
I don't disagree with that. I am just wondering if we can make it better. When I think about the clutches spinning and a belt with cogs on top that is grabbing air to pull around to help cool it- are we pulling the air out from under the hood in the correct spot. With all of the circular air movement where would it dump out the best. I know for a time people were putting a "Frog Skin" vent in front of the primary clutch. When that clutch is spinning you will have air coming out the front of the belly pan in the vent but once you are moving now you have the air trying to come in and the clutch spinning trying to push air out. Did we really gain anything with that??

I think the idea of the fan is great..... can we make it better? I think part of the trouble is the under hood area is so much smaller than it has been in the past and I don't think we are getting the air in like we did with the old hoods. Maybe I am way off!!

Premium Features