• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to Yamaha, need some tips, opinions

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Hey Im looking at picking up an 08 Nytro MTX 153 and doing a bit of work with it. It currently has 4250 miles on it but is in excellent shape.
I would like to put a turbo/supercharger on it to bring it up to around the 180/200 hp range, a lightweight rear skid, lightweight front end and a few cosmetic changes.
Do you guys think this would be a good buy? Is 4250 miles too much to put that kind of money into? What would be some suggestions for upgrades that I mentioned above? Anything that would need to be checked, replaced at that mileage like chaincase bearings etc...?

Thanks.

B
Dec 5, 2010
Mileage shouldnt be a concern as long as all updates are done and its in good shape. Turboing a sled with that many miles wouldnt be that big of a deal to be honest. If it were mine I would slap a turbo on there but maybe o a valve check and leak down test just to be sure but that is all quick and fairly easy to do just to make sure.

After that throw a camo x or peak track and timbersled rear skid, a skinz front end and be on your way, oh and a mcx 180 kit and you will be good to go.

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
I would ask if its a smoking deal? The upgrades you are talking about will run about 5-6k. There are alot of 10-11's out there that are already done the way you want to end up.

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
X2^^^^^ I sold a 09 mtx 153 for $6700 then bought a brand new 2011 mtx 162 for $9600. On the 08 you will want new skid,tunnel,front end. You can spend 5 to 6k very easy.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I agree with the other guys.
Wouldn't hurt you to do some HARD internet shopping and see if you don't find a brand new 2010-2011 already boosted for a great deal.

There were quite a few left over last year...

If you do go with the 2008, make sure it's had any recalls/services done.
Seems like there was an issue with the bulkhead being weak on that year??

And it wouldn't hurt a bit to do the leak down test before you boost it.
Cheap test to see if the engine has any obvious problems.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
The only real issue on the 08 is the sub frame will bend. You can add braces or upgrade to a newer year subframe.

IMO the only must do things are swapping the skid and track. That alone will make it a completely different sled.

Above that its all gravy!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

motojunkie101

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Now that I'm not on my phone....

You are on the right track for mods, but with a tick over 4200 miles I would be taking a look at just about everything.

Do a leak down and make sure the valves are sealing correctly. This really shouldn't be an issue, as yamaha doesn't even call for a valve adjustment for something like 30k miles. As long as it runs smoothly you are probably good.
Replace the jack shaft bearings if they haven't been done already
check the drivers - I've read about a few that spun at stock HP levels
Check the oil tank for cracks/leaks
Check the sub frame to see how bent it is. The easiest way to tell is that one ski will be farther forward than the other one. Plan on a new sub frame or bracing the old one.
Inspect the clutch for wear/tear and cracks. Several have came apart with less than 4200 miles.
Ball joints will wear out extremely fast on the stock A-Arms so check those out as well.

In stock form, run the limiter strap as tight as it will go. That will at least let you ride without wanting to sell it. If I did it over again, I'd toss the skid and track before the first ride. If money was no object, I'd spring for the new Skinz A-Arms, but I run the Timbersled arms and I'm happy with them. After that I'd work on things like a roll over valve, risers, and get it comfortable to ride. Honestly I'd ride it N/A for a season before springing for boost. With nothing but a track and skid change I was having no problems following M8's around so it isn't like you'd be getting left behind. After you learn to ride the beast, THEN boost it for about 200hp. I run my Boondocker at 10lbs with poor clutching and it is more than sufficient for 98% of what I want to do...and the other 2% I probably shouldn't be trying anyways. (My seat of the pants dyno thinks I'm pulling about 200/210HP @ 7 or 8 HP per lb of boost)

M

Mister907

Dec 7, 2008
ANCHORAGE ALASKA
i just wish i had 4200 miles on my 08. especially 4200 miles of MY riding! i think im around 1500 on it. but i can tell you the front end has been wore out, the track was wore out after 100 miles, the hot grips just took a crap the past ride, the running boards bent 1 1/2" in first 300 miles, poor vent locations causing 3 blown belts, imo a belt should last longer than 500 miles. id probly do like motojunkie said and make sure shes solid, tighten her up, n try her out for a year learning how to ride it (not saying you dont know how to ride). it is a different machine with the weight it carries. not sure tho being mine is still stock... do you turbo guys think you could have just made the switch to yer turbos (and still loved them) without knowing the nytro first? (just asking a question, not saying anyone is a pu$$y).

motojunkie101

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
You can still have loads of fun going straight to boost, but you also will not have the skills you would acquire from riding N/A for a season. Knowing your sled is extremely important once you are boosted because things can happen a lot faster.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
I might end up waiting until the summer to look for a 2010 or newer. Got to sell the rush first anyways. Anyone know what kind of hassle it is to buy a sled in the US and bring it into Canada? Looks like I will find the best deals there.

Premium Features