• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about a King Cat...

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
Hey guys, I'm thinking about a King Cat 1M 162" EFI as my first mountain sled. I grew up in the flatlands and rode the trails in New York. I now live in Texas and I want to start riding the mountains in Colorado (Wolfe Creek area to be exact). I'm coming off a Thundercat so I'm used to having plenty of go with the throttle. I'm also 6'2, 220lbs with no gear, 33y/o. I think I would like to do some boondocking and high marking although being new to mountain riding I'm not too sure about anything yet.

I've thought about 05-06 Poo RMKs as well but I think the King Cat has a pretty reliable track record. As an added plus, there's also a Cat dealer in South Fork, CO, which is right where I will ride. I don't know anything about the dealer's reputation. I'm pretty sure I want EFI since I may ride in various areas and I don't want to tinker with jets. I will also ride the sled once a year in NY (annual get together with the old flatlander buddies). I know a 162" will suck on the trail but I don't think they ride that hard anyway.

I'm pretty sure I'll need a bigger riser on stock 1M but aside from that, I'm in the dark.

Any suggestions? Should I scrap the idea and go to something like an M8?? I would like to stay under $6500.

Last edited:

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The king cat is an excellent sled. takes mods well, bullet proof chassis and you can pick them up for around 5000. I live in iowa and i use it to bang ditches a bit, just gotta be careful because it's not built for that kind of abuse. the 900 is an arm puller out of the box too. for the money you can't beat it. Even though it is a dinosaur now :D

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Best bang for the buck, even if it is outdated! The track is the only down-side. Strickly powder. A lot of used ones around that have different tracks on them and some of the guys just turned them around. Kings came with the attack 20 track. Best powder track made and also the worst hard-pack track. You will need scratchers for the trail and 3" risers for the bars.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
I see that on Cat's website they list the attak for '06 but was it on '05's too?

As far as the track goes, will it hurt it to run it on a groomed trail? I assume when you say "powder only" you mean that it doesn't hook up worth a darn on the groomed stuff.

I saw a leftover 05 on Craigslist in Orofino, Idaho for $6995. I assume that it could be negotiated down.

Do the cables have enough slack to put a 4" riser or do I need to lengthen them?

Thanks.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Throttle cable and brake line is too short for a 4". The track has 2 1/4" paddles that angle forward or back(depending on what way you are running it) and the tips a very soft. They lift great in the powder but you can barely move on hard-pack and they will slide sideways easily. That price sounds a little high to me. Look in the swap on here and you can find some low mile used ones with one to two thousand dollars in extras for less. They come with the speed-o in a box and a lot of them never got put on so it is not unusual to see them that way.

C
Jan 4, 2002
Riverton
I would take the new KK over a used M8 any day. At your size I think you enjoy the torque of the 900 over the 800, I know I did. (The M1000 is a different story.) The new M chassis is a little tricky to get use to at first because of the "Rider Forward" position and I personally don't like the new M chassis because I have not ridden one enough to get the hang of it. You should be able to talk the dealer down some more on price. If you buy the King, turn the track around to the hill climb position before it touches the snow and you will have a great all-around track. Just one more opinion.

Last edited:
J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
I have the same sled and now that it has a Camo Extreme, SLP can, 2" riser and running board mod (if you do this go with either the plastic ones or plan on powder coating aluminum ones, they are snow magnets) I love it. Kind of a gas hog though, I got 50 miles out of a tank yesterday playing in the trees. That price is high.

If you can find one go with the '06, they routed the exhaust out the shock-well and lost the dreaded right side deep snow bog.

W
Nov 26, 2007
St. Cloud, MN
My opinon I would go with the M8. I went from a 1M chassie and then to a M7 and love the way it handles. Granted it was a 600 to a 700 so it was a improvment in power but I'm not near as tired at the end of the day. I dont think you will be dissapointed with either. But the track can be a big problem if you ride trails or try to go up a hill that is hard pack.

P
Jan 15, 2005
ND
look for a good used ones with upgrades done , track , riser etc. Tons out there. sj

2nd that. Look for a used king or 1m 900 with all the goodies already done save yourself many thousands. THe aftermarket goodes really add up after a while. I think you can throw a dart at the used cat section in the swap meet and hit a king 3 out of 5 throws.

Older, but still a great sled.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
2nd that. Look for a used king or 1m 900 with all the goodies already done save yourself many thousands. THe aftermarket goodes really add up after a while. I think you can throw a dart at the used cat section in the swap meet and hit a king 3 out of 5 throws.

Older, but still a great sled.

Thanks PCDOC, now my screen is all messed up!

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Try it you'll like it...Name it after a dinosaur, 'cause everyone will tell you it is, but not too many will run with it.
There's lots of tips here on how to make it run well.
I'm still beating all my buddies with the new stuff, although I've got 200 hp and a Chall. Extreme track.

Good riding, Owen

watch ur paddles...

i would be concerned about knocking off some paddles back in new york..unless they get snow..think they are..have 2 900 king cats..and they are my first mt sleds...i love em..easy to boondock..climbs anything that i have the nerve to try..there are usually 3 or 4 on ebay..some with great mods..between 5000$ and 6000$..hit rock this weekend..ripped off my lower a arm...OUCH..!! dealer had both upper and lower in stock..fix thursday night..ride sat..

D
Nov 26, 2007
Tonasket Wa
Go with the 06 king cat; coming off a triple Thunder Cat with all that power you well be disappointed with any thing less in the horse power range. If you don't get a King Cat and decide to get a M series sled make sure it's a M1000. I think back when I rode my brothers Thunder Cat I start to get all jacked up. I ride a M8 know but at times wish I had got a M1000.

Premium Features