• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spot 1 versus Spot 2

F

fordpol

Dec 4, 2007
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Spot messenger origianl version compared to the Spot 2. Other than price! Thanks for any help!!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I have spot1. Haven't seen spot2 yet. Can't compare.

V
Nov 27, 2008
North Bend, WA
I have a spot 1, and plan on ebaying it. Spot 2 fixes everything I haven't liked about my Spot.

1. Size
2. Poor/long reception time
3. Better indicator lights for each feature
4. Extra button for custom message
5. Looks like the 911 button is covered to further decrease the chance of false alarm.

If you want to save some $, get Spot1 (or buy mine). I'll take a loss on this one to get the better features and smaller size.

F

fordpol

Dec 4, 2007
Thanks for the input. Looking at the web pages couldn't figure out the improvements! Sounds like Spot 2 it will be!

B
Nov 26, 2007
OKotoks, Alberta
I have a spot 1, and plan on ebaying it. Spot 2 fixes everything I haven't liked about my Spot.

1. Size
2. Poor/long reception time
3. Better indicator lights for each feature
4. Extra button for custom message
5. Looks like the 911 button is covered to further decrease the chance of false alarm.

If you want to save some $, get Spot1 (or buy mine). I'll take a loss on this one to get the better features and smaller size.

Ive heard spot is going to credit part of your purchase of the Spot 1 towards the spot 2.

K
I just bought the SPOT 2. Got it all set up and everything looks good.....except it recommends you only use Energizer Lithium Ion Batteries. These batteries are $4.00 a piece:eek: Oh well...small price to pay for safety in the back country.

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
spot 2

i here that they have stopped production on the spot 2, something about a light being faulty, wont be up and in production now till january , in the consumers hands beging of feb. just what i heard, was a good sourse but nothing in writing. anyone hear anything

giddyup

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
I have only come across website propaganda and hearsay. I have yet to see or hear of a real world comparisons. I have posted this numerous times. Anyone in central AB I would be glad to do some testing with my spot 1 vs spot 2.

The one I have heard (don't know for sure) is the SPOT 2 has increased the signal from the antenna (this is how they get faster and better connection with the satellites). Due to this increased antenna output, it chews thru batteries alot faster than the SPOT 1.

I own a SPOT 1, would like to upgrade to a 2 (mostly for size), but I am going to wait. I did talk to SPOT customer service and the would not confirm that they were going to do a buy back special for current SPOT 1 owners.

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
they just called me today about my account, my CC expired and I didn't update the account info so their auto subscribe deal didn't go through. I figured I would wait for the SPOT 2 and re-subscribe then.

The agent was named David, and he was calling from Arizona (I asked) and he offered a $50 discount on service (basic sub, tracking, and S&R ins.) if I renewed my SPOT right away. I told him my plan to wait for the new one, he said it would not be available until January after a 6th satellite launch. he also said there was a trade in deal at Best Buy and Cabela's worth $60 off the new price of the SPOT 2 coming up soon.

he said it was 90 degrees in AZ.

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
I would like to buy a "SPOT" but until they improve their transmission reliability I won't.
Too many reports of failed message transmissions.
The most important button for me is the "I'm OK", and when it often won't get through, what's the point.

V
Nov 27, 2008
North Bend, WA
I would like to buy a "SPOT" but until they improve their transmission reliability I won't.
Too many reports of failed message transmissions.
The most important button for me is the "I'm OK", and when it often won't get through, what's the point.

"I'm OK" has worked very well for me, never had to use 911. I found that the tracking feature wasn't very good, inside or outside of my pack. It has a hard time under tree cover. Worse than a normal GPS.

Premium Features