• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ABS Avy Packs

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Humm . . . they tell you NEVER to roll up air bags. I have been instructed that these should be stuffed in the compartment like a parachute.

Also, it is wise to get an airbag that is powered by compressed air rather than nitrogen filled. A person can even buy a benjamin pump and fill the compressed air cylinders themselves. Believe me, it's difficult and takes a while to do this, but at least you can get er done. Here is a link to one - - - https://www.amazon.com/Benjamin-High-Pressure-Hand-Pump/dp/B00460IFPW

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Compressed Air cylinders are easier to find a place to refill them. One can also refill them with a benjamin pump and have the ability to refill right along with them instead of trying to find a place should they deploy an airbag.

If you have a dealer within 15 minutes, that's great :) But in the backcountry, or on a trip, unfortunately that is not usually an option.

L

Lopsangsherpa

Dec 24, 2015
Colorado
Or you can just have another cylinder on the trailer/truck in case you need one? Had lots of issues with BCA cylinders leaking. Went to ABS and haven't had an issue. If I get really neurotic I can weigh the cylinder and confirm that it is the correct weight and full since it is printed on the bottle.

GolfPineAcres

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
I really like the comfort level of some of the ABS packs. They just seem to fit and ride a little better than BCA. However, due to the cartridge support level in riding areas I went with the BCA. Not so much due to a real life deployment, but more on the accidental nature. We all know people who have set on off in tight trees, or whatever type circumstance. If your in the beginning of a trip and an accidental happens without carrying a spare filled cartridge it seems as if your screwed.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
There are a lot of airbag companies out there. pick one that rides well and is supported near you. ABS doesn't fit that bill for me. lack of confidence with handle failures and no support is what sealed the deal. our fleet of 75 vario units is getting whittled down quick. after a year of no support (maintenance/refills) abs is trying to setup their game back up in the U.S. but it's too little too late imo. too many other good packs and vests to chose from is a good thing.

Premium Features