• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

174 turbo sleds

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
The clutch set up that came with my Silber turbo was less than stellar we'll say.
I'v tried Indy Dan's setup. I felt there was still more. Tested a couple of his helix and springs.
Helix mountain X & mountain 1&2. They very a bit.

I've tried Tony set up. I liked it more. More track speed and alot smoother engagement. Tried different helix and springs also. 1 change at a time.

I have talked with a quite a few of the guys on here about there set up and what, how,does and didn't work for them. Tabaugha,Sparky,Tony,AKsledder + others. Been in contact with a silent (on here)tuner. G Bakker. Cool cat. This is were it's been proven that these 154&163 set ups at elevation are different and may leave some performance or just drive right threw it.
I've tried lighter springs in the secondary. It powered right threw those. In the primary low engagement.

Stiffer springs raised engagement and held the secondary from shifting out sooner.

Here is what I have found to be the baddest clutch set up to date. My arms and shoulders are actually sore for once. I like tree riding and hill and chute climbs. Doesn't do bad racing your buddies across the meadow either.

Silber turbo & #7.. 174"-3"
Primary .. Dark green 140-330
Secondary... Black silver 160-280
Helix...46f-32f er
Original lightning weights....75 grams
Elevation.. 3000-6000
RPM 8350-8400 consistently on a steep pull.
Stock gearing with a tki belt conversion....2.34
Straight AV Gas.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The clutch set up that came with my Silber turbo was less than stellar we'll say.
I'v tried Indy Dan's setup. I felt there was still more. Tested a couple of his helix and springs.
Helix mountain X & mountain 1&2. They very a bit.

I've tried Tony set up. I liked it more. More track speed and alot smoother engagement. Tried different helix and springs also. 1 change at a time.

I have talked with a quite a few of the guys on here about there set up and what, how,does and didn't work for them. Tabaugha,Sparky,Tony,AKsledder + others. Been in contact with a silent (on here)tuner. G Bakker. Cool cat. This is were it's been proven that these 154&163 set ups at elevation are different and may leave some performance or just drive right threw it.
I've tried lighter springs in the secondary. It powered right threw those. In the primary low engagement.

Stiffer springs raised engagement and held the secondary from shifting out sooner.

Here is what I have found to be the baddest clutch set up to date. My arms and shoulders are actually sore for once. I like tree riding and hill and chute climbs. Doesn't do bad racing your buddies across the meadow either.

Silber turbo & #7.. 174"-3"
Primary .. Dark green 140-330
Secondary... Black silver 160-280
Helix...46f-32f er
Original lightning weights....75 grams
Elevation.. 3000-6000
RPM 8350-8400 consistently on a steep pull.
Stock gearing with a tki belt conversion....2.34
Straight AV Gas.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. The 174 is a new animal. Glad you got it figured out.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
Primary. I've tried pink, almond, silver, couple others. I settled on almond gold (Polaris) for a while till Gregg suggested the green 140-330 A while back. Primary looked untouched but the secondary was showing signed of excessive slippage now.

I'd be glad to.
125-175. Blew right threw it like a junk B&M converter.
140-220. The secondary sheaves were noticably warmer to the touch. Belt marks started about halfway down the secondary sheaves. It didn't hold clutches engaged to well going downhill. Throttle,brake, throttle,brake. Had to stay on top of it to keep engaged.
155-222.. It was a little better. Backshift a little better. It would still upshift really fast creating a (lazy) feeling.
I jumped to a Black/yellow 180-260. Back shift was great. Nice and revy in the tree's. Very good throttle response. Careful throttle control when getting unstuck. Aggressive. It would stay engaged and actually slow you down going down hill. Good bottom end. Snappy). I felt I was leaving some on the table as far as top end goes. I like racing across the meadows and lakes also. It felt like it kept me at a 2-3 shift longer. Always ready for instant throttle response. I was liking it.

Last sat in the snow park waiting on my crew I threw a black/silver 160-280 I had in my bag of hopes and dreams. Oh boy. Very noticeable difference. Throttle response is great. Great backshift. It did stay engaged down hill maintaining my speed. Very responsive on the bottom end also. On off throttle is instantaneous. Top end is nuts. Blurry, Shakey nuts!!!. My pidd top speed was 87mph now it says 130mph.. OOOF. My buddy had his boosted Doo with a 66 aerocharger @7#. 163"-3'.. He would get out the hole a little bit. My Ski tip to his rear bumper and I'd real him in and bye bye. I'm leaving this in. At the end of the day both sheaves were spot less. I could still see the scratches from the scotch bright. Not shiny and polished. No color or haze on the belt. This was a first for both sheaves.

Note.. At every spring change I scrubbed (very lightly) the belt and took red scotch bright to the sheaves.

I thought I would share my findings with others that shared there's. Please excuse the automotive terminology. I tried to keep it to a minimum.

Last edited:

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
No problem Tony. I'm leaving for Revelstoke next week if I get that secret spring from you before I leave I'll definitely take it with me and I'll give you an update up there.

If any of you guys reading this thread want to see it in action be up in Revelstoke next week Wednesday through Saturday.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
It did for my set up and style. I'm at a lower elevation which makes a huge difference on final set up. Getting where I'm at has been a while coming due to my work schedule.
I ride the Sea 2 Sky area so roughly same elevation as you. 17 Axys 174 X3 with MTNTK kit at 9 LBS. Geared to a final of 2.32. TRS. Helix 46 32. 140/310 140/220 secondary spring and a Gates Carbon belt. Very interested in your results. We should be very close to the same. TRS has a Secret Spring?!?!. Please share the info. Thanks

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
I ride the Sea 2 Sky area so roughly same elevation as you. 17 Axys 174 X3 with MTNTK kit at 9 LBS. Geared to a final of 2.32. TRS. Helix 46 32. 140/310 140/220 secondary spring and a Gates Carbon belt. Very interested in your results. We should be very close to the same. TRS has a Secret Spring?!?!. Please share the info. Thanks

Nioce. My junk is a 17 axys-174"-3" as well. Silber turbo @7#. Final gear ratio is 2.34 with a tki belt drive conversion. Gates carbon belt also. Noticably a bit more grippy. Here is a list of what I have done to waste money in the search for elusive unicorn.

Primary.
Zollinger lite wt package. Billit cover, titanium bolts, titanium pins, lt wt starter cup and lt wt bolts. I'm going to lighten the flywheel this summer. Indy Dan balanced it and recut sheave angle and shimmed the weights. I filed the edges off the spring ends. No more sharp edge digging in. Almost forgot. Fastrax helped me get my belt to sheave clearance to .025...

Secondary.
Indy Dan lightened and balanced and recut the sheave angle. Zollinger roller bearing under the cup. Took it out on last testing. Sanded the bottom side of the cup where the 2 punch holes are. No more sharp edges. Filed springs also.

Last but not least. What I learned from my friends at Roosterbuilt when I rode Doo. The best Doo set up. A clean clutch is a happy clutch. Curt at Fastrax has been my P85 maintenance instructor. Stay on top of the weight bushings, button shims and your good.

Last edited:
N
Jan 11, 2008
Spokane, WA
I run the 140-220 on my 12 turbo assault 155 2.6 and I've often felt top speed lacked. I don't run over 6000' and run 7-10 psi on a kpa silber turbo. I don't feel much top speed difference with higher boost I wonder if that black silver would help?

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
I run the 140-220 on my 12 turbo assault 155 2.6 and I've often felt top speed lacked. I don't run over 6000' and run 7-10 psi on a kpa silber turbo. I don't feel much top speed difference with higher boost I wonder if that black silver would help?

Is there black belt marks on the inside bottom of your secondary? That spring will shift out quickly.
What primary spring?
Weights?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY

You may be running out of gear.

N
Jan 11, 2008
Spokane, WA
Ive got the same 46-32 helix with a red spring from indy 155-310ish i cant remember exactly. Running 74 gram TRS prototypes or the Indy Turbo 3's at 75.8 grams (1-3-2). 19/43 gearing with stock 8 tooth drivers and my clutches always look clean. I just red scotchbrited them recently. Highest speed I've ever seen is 24 mph which for some reason with the silber reflash ecu is off. Its about 3x off so 24 is roughly 72 mph? What should my sled top out with my gearing?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Ive got the same 46-32 helix with a red spring from indy 155-310ish i cant remember exactly. Running 74 gram TRS prototypes or the Indy Turbo 3's at 75.8 grams (1-3-2). 19/43 gearing with stock 8 tooth drivers and my clutches always look clean. I just red scotchbrited them recently. Highest speed I've ever seen is 24 mph which for some reason with the silber reflash ecu is off. Its about 3x off so 24 is roughly 72 mph? What should my sled top out with my gearing?

7 tooth or 8 tooth drivers?
Curious what are the markings on Dans helix?
We have been running 20-43 gearing here at elevation.

Premium Features