• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M7 Project Sled....More pics to come

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
I had very little time to work on the project this weekend, but I did manage to get some done. The boards came out awesome. I ended up painting them, eventually, they will be dipped clean, and sent to the powder coater. But until then, this is what I ended up with. Got the rear section of the tunnel wrapped. I ended up following the same weave I started with. Next is to cut out the existing board and fasten in the new ones. Oh and I painted the hangers for the skid matte black. Its starting to look like a sled again!

photo (41).jpg photo (42).jpg photo (43).jpg photo (44).jpg photo (45).jpg

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
I cut out the old running boards tonight. Used a cutting wheel on a grinder. Right side is nearly complete, I have a few more rivets to install.

photo (50).jpg photo (51).jpg photo (52).jpg

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
I managed to get this side of the sled completely done. I varied between some matte black and gloss back to give some contrast between the boards, foot guards, and hoop. All rivets are in place on this side. Feels much much stronger than the stock boards already. Once everything was tied together there was absolutely no flexing in the running board area. All the rivets I used were 3/16 S.S. Now to move on to the other side!

This is slightly off the running board topic, but what are everyones thoughts on the BDX Chromoly A-Arms? They shed some weight and look really cool. Only downfall I can see is if I wipe one out, I have to buy a whole set again? I am in need of an upper and lower A-arm already, and for a little more money I could go this route. Let me know what you guys think.

photo (53).jpg photo (54).jpg photo (55).jpg photo (56).jpg photo (57).jpg

D
Mar 10, 2009
First off, this is turning into a very sharp sled. :face-icon-small-coo

As far as bdx arms, why? If you can build boards it really isn't any different to build arms...

Jul 22, 2009
Well done on the build. Truly impressive! As for BDX arms the cost to upgrade is minimal when you sell your old arms (although you only have one side), the fit is perfect, they do do shed some weight (2.5lbs I believe - I did a post on this recently), and the service you get from BCIL/BDX is second to none. Also, on the replacements they will sell individual parts and it actually ends up being cheaper then buying stock parts! It's only by a couple bucks but still....!!!!

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Well I haven't had anytime to work on the sled...I just moved down to Washington from AK and between getting my house/garage/life setup and everything else I just haven't had time...BUT I do plan on getting back on it here in a week or so.

I have been doing a lot of research on guys making extra motor mounts for these sleds and have been kicking around the idea of doing something similar. I saw on thread where guys were putting an additional mount on the cross tube of the bulkhead that ties into the front of the motor. Is this one of the areas you get the most movement out of?? Any other threads about this topic that I missed?

Another interesting thread I read on here, (can't remember where it is) was a topic of HP vs. weight savings. One of the arguments was that when you shed weight off your sled, your increasing its all around performance in the snow. ie. sled rollls over easier, handles better, etc. Versus dumping a bunch of money into adding say 25 horsepower, where the only gain that is "more power"

A combination of the two would be the ultimate I suppose, but I have to say, that I am in much favor of the weight savings vs. HP additions. I never really thought about it in this manner. So instead of figuring out how to pump more juice outta this baby, I am going to attempt to shed every extra ounce of weight that is on this sled. Just a little input on what I was thinking today while cruising the forums :)

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Well I haven't had anytime to work on the sled...I just moved down to Washington from AK and between getting my house/garage/life setup and everything else I just haven't had time...BUT I do plan on getting back on it here in a week or so.

I have been doing a lot of research on guys making extra motor mounts for these sleds and have been kicking around the idea of doing something similar. I saw on thread where guys were putting an additional mount on the cross tube of the bulkhead that ties into the front of the motor. Is this one of the areas you get the most movement out of?? Any other threads about this topic that I missed?

Another interesting thread I read on here, (can't remember where it is) was a topic of HP vs. weight savings. One of the arguments was that when you shed weight off your sled, your increasing its all around performance in the snow. ie. sled rollls over easier, handles better, etc. Versus dumping a bunch of money into adding say 25 horsepower, where the only gain that is "more power"

A combination of the two would be the ultimate I suppose, but I have to say, that I am in much favor of the weight savings vs. HP additions. I never really thought about it in this manner. So instead of figuring out how to pump more juice outta this baby, I am going to attempt to shed every extra ounce of weight that is on this sled. Just a little input on what I was thinking today while cruising the forums :)

Do both. Lighter and mo powa

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
I went the lighter route with mine. I'm really happy with it. I built a tunnel dump muffler which was half the weight and also moved the remaing weight rearward about a foot.

However, I am wanting a higher compression headset for it. Maybe next year.

FORDpickupman

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
So while I am waiting for some material to arrive, I decided to tear apart my diamond drive and see if the previous owner actually ever changed the oil. To my surprise, the oil wasn't bad at all. I still wanted to make sure I didn't have any surprises when I go out for the first time so I split the case and pulled it apart. All seems well, but my god, the gear set in this thing is rediculously heavy. I know BDX makes a light weight gear set, is that my only option or is there another manufacturer? IS this mod worth the $$$?? How do I know what my current gear ratio is?? Would it be best for me to change up my gear ratio? I am running a 10.4" secondary. Also I know you guys are running other oils besides the AC oil, what lube are you guys recommending??

photo (71).jpg photo (70).jpg photo (69).jpg

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
57/63 is what the cover says. It's been apart before, but i dont think they swapped anything out. Would the 55/65 be a good match for a boondocker on/off throttle style riding?

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
That 3M Carbon Vinyl sure is bad a$$ lopkin! We have wrapped a couple of sleds up here with it, and yes it is awesome to work with!!

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
That 3M Carbon Vinyl sure is bad a$$ lopkin! We have wrapped a couple of sleds up here with it, and yes it is awesome to work with!!

It is awesome stuff! I have never used it before but I won't hesitate to use it again.

So if it's close to a crossfire 500 is that a standard on all M7's? Seems to me if it were the same as the crossfire, it would geared much to low. I think I have that right. Is their a significant weight loss to be gained with the black diamond gears? I can't find weight reduction numbers on the gear set, only the xtreme "high torque" set.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
It is awesome stuff! I have never used it before but I won't hesitate to use it again.

So if it's close to a crossfire 500 is that a standard on all M7's? Seems to me if it were the same as the crossfire, it would geared much to low. I think I have that right. Is their a significant weight loss to be gained with the black diamond gears? I can't find weight reduction numbers on the gear set, only the xtreme "high torque" set.

I meant the 55/65 is close to a crossfire 500. THey are like 54/65 or something, cant remember off the top of my head.

Premium Features