• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2.6 Powerclaw Vs. 2.5 Camo Extreme. Which is better on our sleds?

S
Nov 30, 2007
cda, idaho
we hardly get days of pure fluff...maybe 2-3 per season.

usually our powder we call traction powder, yes it's untracked, yes you can get stuck, but gosh darn do you have some great traction...bascially our snow settles fast...not as bad and wet and heavy as the cascades of washington...we are in the middle of that snow and the pure fluff that colorado gets...

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
we hardly get days of pure fluff...maybe 2-3 per season.

usually our powder we call traction powder, yes it's untracked, yes you can get stuck, but gosh darn do you have some great traction...bascially our snow settles fast...not as bad and wet and heavy as the cascades of washington...we are in the middle of that snow and the pure fluff that colorado gets...

This statement is right on the money!

I have had both tracks but not on the same sled so apples to apples is very difficult but I find the PC spins far more than the CE did in our conditions.

K

kllongbrake

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 29, 2009
No matter what I think it all comes down to your style and where you ride. Very rarely for my style has the CE beat the PC, But that is on 2 different sleds and if the snow is harder the CE works better and better, although I can still get everywhere on with the PC but it is slightly faster going down. Ideally we 3-4 different tracks to switch to for each day and how we plan to ride, right. Suspension setup plays a huge role also from my finding, I think most would be happy with either track. unless you live on the west coast or where snow gets hard fast, then I say CE 3"

I second that. I'd love to have a 3" CE at Baker and surrounding areas.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
I found the PC (2.25) performed much better then the previous gen of stock tracks.

It was a single ply, its design and designer are from my back yard. I found the PC to really shine on its edge, sidehilling, carving, Boondocking. On its edge it hold better then anything else I have tried. I dont find the problems washing out on real steep sidehills that I felt on other tracks.

I think the larger 2.6 should be just as awesome, should be installed next week ;)

you pick your posin

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I was hoping one of the magazine editors, or maybe Dustin Panacheri would chime in. I bet they have experienced both tracks on numerous occasions while testing for the magazines.

I, like Spiced Wafer ride what could be considered in-between snow. Not the Cascade heavy wet cement snow but, certainly not the sugary, fluffy powder of Utah, Wyoming or Colorado.

I personally haven't noticed the Powerclaw being that bad when coming down steep hills. It probably has a lot to do with the water content of the snow in this area.

Once you get to a 2.6" track it has to slow you down when descending a steep hill like throwing a belt over your skis like we used to do when an 1 1/8" Kimpex Aggressor was all the rage.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I used to live on the WA ID boarder and out there I would take the PC (even old style over the original CE) very rarely did the CE take the upper hand. But after about 1200 hard miles the PC got soft and then the CE started to do better but I still preferred the PC for my style.
So to me its going to be a factor of how fast the new PC breaks down, If I could get a 2.6 90 duro I would go that route. But the new styles in the CE and compounds also play a role and the new suspensions are playing a large role also. So maybe a 3" is in order.
Best case, find someone else willing to try one, every one buys a different track and tests, then sell what you don't like.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Good post Wyomingboy!

I agree with your findings. I thought the Powerclaw was pound for pound head and shoulders better than any track I had tried previously (Camo Extreme included).

However, the design of the Camo Extreme has changed dramatically, going to a single ply design (so it's much lighter) and the paddle placement and design of the paddles are also completely different.

Now, the design of the Camo Extreme is much more like that of the Powerclaw.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Based on Wyomingboy's comments,

"So to me its going to be a factor of how fast the new PC breaks down, If I could get a 2.6 90 duro I would go that route".

I am now wondering if maybe an 85 durometer Powerclaw might be better than an 80 durometer (if I go that route).

The 80 durometer is what comes on the powder sleds and the 85 on the HCR I believe.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
That is what I'm hoping for, also it looks like the overall thickness of the lugs on the 2.6 are bigger so it should hold up better. Feels stronger also. Looking at the old and new PC I think the new one is going to kill the old one.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
At this point in the season with the new powerclaw, you are pretty limited in terms of options.

You either pony up and hope you like it, or wait till the snow flies and people get to ride them and give input. If you NEED a new track now, but are worried about the claw, snag an extreme.

I found some smoking deals on 153" 2.6 claws 80 and 85 duro (less than I could pick up an extreme for) PM me if your interested in where.

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
80 or 85 duro?

How much of a difference is there between the 80 and 85 duro? I think I'm going to pick one up just not sure which one yet. Would the 85 have better down hill braking on setup snow?

Last edited:
A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
How much of a difference is there between the 80 and 85 duro? I think I'm going to pick one up just not sure which one yet. Would the 85 have better down hill braking?

The PC tracks break just fine! But for some reason guy's can't figure out that it loads up faster/easier than other tracks. The key is to break MUCH lighter and pump the lever lightly. Super simple and it works. It'll work even better with the PC 2.6"

If you're worried about down hill breaking, you'd better buy a Camo Extreme.:usa2:

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
The PC tracks break just fine! But for some reason guy's can't figure out that it loads up faster/easier than other tracks. The key is to break MUCH lighter and pump the lever lightly. Super simple and it works. It'll work even better with the PC 2.6"

If you're worried about down hill breaking, you'd better buy a Camo Extreme.:usa2:

I like my PC. The only time I have issues with braking is when the snow is setup real hard. I'm wondering how much of a difference there really is between the 80 and 85 though.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Is there any kind of warranty on Powerclaw tracks ordered through an aftermarket vendor? If so, do they come with warranty cards?

The 2 year warranty on the Camo Extreme is hard to beat.

I found the 2.6" Powerclaw for $20 less than the best deal I can find on a 2.5" Camo Extreme, but if there is no warranty, is it worth considering the Powerclaw?

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Warranty? Fuc, this isn't the heckn polaris section! Just buy the fukn camo! Or go buy a fukn polaris!

Last edited:
Premium Features