• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Check out this BS

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
In that pic the washer looks like it's worn half way though the rail but in reality the washer is whats worn from vibrating up and down.

Maybe I'll do everyone a favor and delete the whole thread?

I am not sure what caused the failure. If it was moving up/down was the plastic adjuster worn out as well?

If so Fastlane makes a billet adjuster to replace the stock one. I may help prevent that.

I also replaced my rear axle with the BDX one piece axle, combined with the billet adjuster there should be no movment to allow wear.

Link to fastlane.

http://www.flaneinc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_25&products_id=34

Jason

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Vibration not spinning

At first, I thought this had to be from the washer spinning.

Then I opened up the photo in Photoshop and magnified the washer.

When I did that I saw that the washer was not uniform in thickness. It gets thicker (See edited photo "Circle") on the left edge. If it was spinning it would catch on the edge of the rail.

It was not spinning, it was vibrating...........

Taqke a look at my picture attached and tell me what you see.

bad rail edited.jpg

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
funny.ha ha

go polish the tunnel on your sled and ask some stupid question on how tight to tighten your handlebar bag. Then argue if the velcro goes on the inside or outside of the throttle cable.

while your at it spread some dumb pics of the 2012 that you'll be riding in 5 years... and make sure to tell everyone exactly what it weighs since you know...

BOOM

how did you know all that stuff about me?

that's funny right there.

danredig

Premium Member
Jan 20, 2008
Detroit Lakes, MN

When I did that I saw that the washer was not uniform in thickness. It gets thicker (See edited photo "Circle") on the left edge. If it was spinning it would catch on the edge of the rail.

Taqke a look at my picture attached and tell me what you see.[/QUOTE

ThIS is exactly what mhanson was talking about! People that are giving advise should really look and listen to everything before making comments just like Jeff C has done thanks Jeff!! cheers! :beer;. It happens way too often that people are too quick to offer advise before really looking at the whole situation closely and that is why mhanson has been so adamant about being right! I only wish that there were more people on this forum that had the same passion about the right answer as he does, maybe it would cut down on the numerous posts about the same thing. I know i really enjoy this forum and that is why i spent the money to become a premium member because i was hoping to cut out all the misinformed people giving their opinion instead of giving a true real world answer on topics that are brought up. Seems like there are way too many people too quick to reply to a post without thinking things through and i know it irritates me as im sure does other people!! So, hopefully all the people that have read this thread sit back and think a little bit before hitting the reply button in the future just to chime in and get one more post on their account!

oh and one more thing....... BOOM!!! :second: :beer;

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I'll decide,

The problem to me is that the washer tightened down on the axle rather than clamping down on the rail ( which one other guy mentioned), almost like the adjuster blocks are inset to far. Thus it feels tight and you would think all is good but it just vibrates until its really worn. If the axle was a faulty one or out of spec on how the adjuster blocks where placed then I would say warranty all the way, but if it was pushed in by someone running a impact on it or something like that then no.

mhanson, You where right and I agree with you standing up and fighting it, I do it all the time, When he was right instead of other people jabbing you should have said "my bad i was wrong" (which one guy basically did) and then jabbed for fun, because it sucks to be wrong. So thats how I think it should have gone, but then "mhanson" rather then seeing there lack of self discipline in others and lacking it also threw it right back and now most of you look like fools. So I'm always right and your all retreads:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;

"BOOM!!!"

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont

Taqke a look at my picture attached and tell me what you see.

That's exactly what I was pointing out....it didn't spin.

Actually...what happened is that the washer metal was so soft...it just got pressed into that shape from being over-tightened. :)

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I'll decide,

The problem to me is that the washer tightened down on the axle rather than clamping down on the rail ( which one other guy mentioned), almost like the adjuster blocks are inset to far. Thus it feels tight and you would think all is good but it just vibrates until its really worn. If the axle was a faulty one or out of spec on how the adjuster blocks where placed then I would say warranty all the way, but if it was pushed in by someone running a impact on it or something like that then no.

"BOOM!!!"

I will go along with this because the axle bolts were frigging tight when I removed them!

I sent pics to my dealer and he's sending them to Cat. Just hoping to get new rails out of it.

KABOOM!

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
For what it is worth, i am in island park and 2 of the guys in the group rented 2010 M8s. BOTH of them have this issue happening. One one of them one of the tensions bolts is broken, its now only 2.5 inches long maybe. We were able to get the track tight enough to stop ratcheting and ride.

BOOM !

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
Glad I read this thread. I'd noticed some black snow around my rear axle after the last few rides. Here is what I think is going on:

The axle is held in place by pinching the rail between the large aluminum washer and the black plastic. As the black plastic block gradually compresses, the big washer ends up being tight against the axle tube. When this happens, you are no longer pinching the rail and things get sloppy. I took an angle grinder to the end of the axle tube on both sides. This gives me more clearance and allows the rail to be pinched between the washer and the plastic blocks again. It is now solid again.

My $.02

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Seems to be a 2010 issue? The 09 M8 I had didn't do this nor did my big sled that I added a two wheel kit do this. Axles must be to long on these sleds? I'm definitely going to grind mine down a bit before I fix it. Adding a washer between the rear wheel and the black adjuster block might do the trick also?

I can't post on this thread anymore! LOL!

Last edited:
M

mhanson

Dec 12, 2009
i see the "boom" is catching on....
if i say anymore i'm sure i'll get edited...

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
hey hanson....both my washing machine and dryer both spin..yet one the clothes are wet and the other the clothes are dry..yet they both spin...zazazazazabbbooooommm...i don;t care whether your right or not...i would rather sleep with a wrong beauty then a right b!!ttch..i will let you fight the fight for the right to be right...but i bet you drink more beer alone then with company...

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
im not reading all the bs, but i can tell you that, for one the axel bolt was probably bearly loose. the axel was not spinning but loose enough to move BEARLY up and down to groove it.

a fix, get some aluminum sheed metal and cut a square out of it drill a hole in it and use it as a washer.

i didnt read all the posts cause it got into a fist match. but thats my educated guess, and what i would do to fix it. my 2010 m8 has 1500 miles on it with zero grooving.

-Aksnopro

M

mhanson

Dec 12, 2009
hey hanson....both my washing machine and dryer both spin..yet one the clothes are wet and the other the clothes are dry..yet they both spin...zazazazazabbbooooommm...i don;t care whether your right or not...i would rather sleep with a wrong beauty then a right b!!ttch..i will let you fight the fight for the right to be right...but i bet you drink more beer alone then with company...

WOW both your washer and dryer spin....what a thought

not even gonna comment on the rest......:lol:

danredig

Premium Member
Jan 20, 2008
Detroit Lakes, MN

oh too bad the thread is now past 75 so it can get back to the topic at hand and help people again. Most of all we won't have d-bags writing stuff like this trying to do a little rap and sound clever just because one person was right and so many others were totally wrong! Get used to it guys, its ok to be wrong once in a while but, maybe someday with enough time on this forum you will gain enough knowledge from other people that you can chime in on a thread and be the person with the RIGHT answer and not feel like a dumbazz and have to write in and attack the person with the right answers just to feel better about yourself!! good luck with that guys you know who you are. :lol: :focus:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
oh too bad the thread is now past 75 so it can get back to the topic at hand and help people again. Most of all we won't have d-bags writing stuff like this trying to do a little rap and sound clever just because one person was right and so many others were totally wrong! Get used to it guys, its ok to be wrong once in a while but, maybe someday with enough time on this forum you will gain enough knowledge from other people that you can chime in on a thread and be the person with the RIGHT answer and not feel like a dumbazz and have to write in and attack the person with the right answers just to feel better about yourself!! good luck with that guys you know who you are. :lol: :focus:

Thought you said it could get back to topic and then you wrote all that stuff:cheer2:

Anyway, I would be careful grinding the axle, if the axle is already tightening down to far it has to be pulling the back of the rails closer together putting extra stress on everything, you would be better off putting a washer around the axle to go in between the rail and plastic adjuster.

Premium Features