• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010/2011 Clutch Spider Breakage Poll

Have you broken a spider in a 2010/2011 M sled?

• Total voters

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
Sounds like it may last ~1000 miles.... ><

The "other 3" need to look at Yamaha's clutching...seriously, their doing something right if stock clutches can handle up to 300+ HP for 1000+ miles per belt...

Why must everyone [manufactures] reinvent the wheel, use what works.

Granted, I don't hear of too many Pol issues...but I've skimmed a few topics about broken posts/spiders from this season?

man im half way!! hahaha if it breaks i hope it destroys everything and makes my sled catch on fire so i can get a new one! hahhaah, jk but i hope it lasts!

azzkicker

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
2010 m8 sp 162

Spider not gone but lost a roller 1000 mi cat wont cover it so I had to buy a new clutch and weights Im an arctic cat guy but their on thin ice w me thats not worth losing a customer over IMO polaris has their sled out A/C doesnt and Im going to be buying screwing me on a warranty isnt going to help me stay on a cat!

MtSnodawg

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Butte, Mt.
clutch broke

1035 miles. Broken black-orange spring. Broken spider. 20 mile tow out of the mountains.
Cat warrantied

longrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
peace river ab. can.
spider

My spider just broke at 1368mi. My cat dealer warrantied it. Would anybody know if the clutches we are getting on warranty are updated. Not looking forward to knowing that my clutch could let loose again at any time after 300mi.

longrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
peace river ab. can.
spider

A billet spider would be good. The information I have is that the spider on a stock cat clutch does not come off very easily. Most times will wreck the threads. Is that true.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I work at a Cat dealer and so far this season...

I have only seen one spider crack on a 2010 and one on a 2009 as well. The 2010 had 1600 miles and the 2009 had over 3000 miles.

I have seen the rollers go bad quite often. Especially on the M7s.

I have not seen any 2011s go down yet.

Also, Fasttrax is also cutting Polaris clutches to Arctic Cat tapers. I'd be interested to see the results.

garciava

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
western colorado
It’s not only the 2010 and 2011 M8s. I have an 07 and an 09. I have had two cracked spiders and 2 bad rollers. last clutch wasn’t even a season old. Cat would not replace it even though it was less than a year old. This is getting very expensive. Arctic cat clutches are JUNK imo. Local dealer said cat will not recognize it’s a problem even though they know it is.
I bought a Billet spider from Serpreme tool inc. It’s a rebuild able spider. Rollers can be replaced. Kind of costly but cheaper then replacing clutches. First ride with it yesterday. so far good

if the Billit spider from FBP comes with rollers it will be a lot cheaper than the one from Serpreme tool inc. If not about the same price because the one from Serpreme comes with rollers

Last edited:

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
time for a new dealer.

If you dealer can not warranty that for you time to find a dealer that will take care of you. That's just plain laziness .

Spider not gone but lost a roller 1000 mi cat wont cover it so I had to buy a new clutch and weights Im an arctic cat guy but their on thin ice w me thats not worth losing a customer over IMO polaris has their sled out A/C doesnt and Im going to be buying screwing me on a warranty isnt going to help me stay on a cat!

Z
Dec 15, 2007
Archer Idaho
With parts flying around and the fact that when it breaks it locks on to the belt and keeps pulling the sled forward until rpm drops down would make you think cat would want to fix this before they get someone hurt or even killed. This is complete b.s. that we as consumers should have to put up with this. We would not accept this from Gm or Ford.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Glenville, Minnesota
My friends 2011 M8 spider exploded 300 miles on sled got a new one from cat on warranty I am also getting one on warranty because all bushings are wore out at 1500miles and that is BS cat I should put a polaris clutch on and be done with it!

After I took mine off to put on the new clutch my spider was cracked so the cat clutch was going to gernade soon :face-icon-small-sad

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
i am with MM too. it is the dealer that fights for warrantee coverages. cat is just the final we are giving you the parts, mfg/supplier. it appears the dealer you have chosen has decided that you are not worth their time to go to bat for. plain lazy.

time for a new dealer. protest with your pocketbook. believe it or not it does work.

i also believe if you open this up to other years, and have people put mileage down you would be suprized on the amount of these failures.

this is a mfg defect, poor design, cheap casting and assembly. the excuse is put off on the consumer. personally i lost 2 clutches on 2009 m8's both with less than 1400 miles. first one went at about 900, second went at approx 1400. i check, clean clutches EVERY TRIP.

THIS IS NOT LACK OF MAINTAINENCE OR EXPERIENCE ON MY PART. THIS IS A MANUFACTURER ISSUE.

CAT if you are keeping tabs on this... 21 failures so far, in a poll of 60 responses (to date). this is not a one off issue. this is A PROBLEM! and it should be rectified at YOUR COST, NOT THE CONSUMER. ski

Last edited:

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
i have no experience with the newer sleds but theres 4 '06 m7's in my group and all of them have lost the primary all between 1500-2200 miles. mine cracked the spider to where it would just spin on the threads and the other three lost rollers. we replaced the spider on one that lost a roller and the very next ride the moveable sheave cracked from the outside edge all the way to the center of the clutch. the other three we replaced with '08 m8 clutches and so far so good but i'm nearing the 1500 mile mark again on that clutch so i guess we'll see what happens.

M
Dec 1, 2007
oh $hit

2010 snow pro broken spider, engine mount bad,dd bearing gone south, code 17 flashing now. got every thing replaced under waranty. waranty ran out last week!! 500 miles on sled!!!! cant wait to see the fine machine they come out with next

Premium Features