• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cat forums

M
Nov 26, 2001
laramie wy
if your not even a paid member yet stfu about how its not even a big deal to pay $10 a month! your the type of "member" that made this site what it has turned into now!

M

MTnickmck

Mar 11, 2009
Missoula, MT
The fact of the matter to me is that most businesses that are making it in this economy are struggling. Any ways possible to decrease expenses and maintain revenue streams are taken. Some actions unfortunately taken with a huge sacrifice on the other end.

I would imagine SNOWEST is similar in the fact they probably took a revenue hit on decreased interest in marketing as most companies are slashing this line item. It seems SNOWEST is looking for ways to make some ground back up through support from all of it's loyal participants.

I'm appreciative of SNOWEST and understanding of their approach. The $10
fee without added value to me may have been worth questioning; however the $10 fee which includes all prior aspects of the site plus digital mag viewing alone is well worth the upgrade to me. Hopefully the mag businesses don't lose to much on that deal.

Good thread I'm going to upgrade right now. Thanks SNOWEST

A
Jan 16, 2008
The fact of the matter to me is that most businesses that are making it in this economy are struggling. Any ways possible to decrease expenses and maintain revenue streams are taken. Some actions unfortunately taken with a huge sacrifice on the other end.

I would imagine SNOWEST is similar in the fact they probably took a revenue hit on decreased interest in marketing as most companies are slashing this line item. It seems SNOWEST is looking for ways to make some ground back up through support from all of it's loyal participants.

I'm appreciative of SNOWEST and understanding of their approach. The $10
fee without added value to me may have been worth questioning; however the $10 fee which includes all prior aspects of the site plus digital mag viewing alone is well worth the upgrade to me
. Hopefully the mag businesses don't lose to much on that deal.

Good thread I'm going to upgrade right now. Thanks SNOWEST

At least this way you'll know you will be able to view the whole magazine, unlike like ones i get in the mail with with my paid subscription that are missing 20+ pages. No wonder they need a boost. they have a hard time jsut publishing the mag, the very thing that got them to this point in the first place.

Every try to read a computer screen on the crapper, its a little cumbersome.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
ok, we don't want to hear you "whine" about how a bumper that you installed wrong took out your sled anymore either....

OOOH... you being unhappy about that is different? Nobody beat you up over the fact that the info had been out there for over a year when that happened to you, but yeah, some of us are unhappy with how things have gone here. I would like to stay, but I will not pay for the site the way things have gone.

I'll get what I can out of my "free" membership & talk to friends that want to stay. I'm not berating them or you for wanting to pay, but you seem to think that now that you've paid, you're above us & it's ok to call us whiners.

well... we don't want to hear you whining about anything anymore....:face-icon-small-sho

Why dont' you go back to the post I posted and read it. Don't see how I was whining? Simple started the fact, not opinion, and a warning to others that have done this mod to be aware, that you may end up with a lot worse situation that a cracked tunnel. Show me one post that reported the cooler breaking and the engine going down. I also stated it would have been real nice if BDX would have sent something to their customers about the possibility of broblmes. My tunnel cracked already, and I didn't say boo about it, not until the cooler broke and I lost my engine. I also did state that it was my fault, wish I would have thought things through. I suppose all the other people that had issues with his mod installed them wrong as well? That being said, BDX had a responsibility in it as well.

It's costing me a hell of alot more than $10 to fix, and BDX has helped me out and in my mind made it right. I certainly didn't rant on about how I'll never buy things from them again either. Not sure how you can even compare the two? Must be the same type of mentality that you you won't even pay a lousy 10 bucks to be a member. I don't see the moderators deleting your thread even though you are bashing them.

Again, look at my post, just warning others. I actually think there has been a lot less BS on this site the last 6 months. But this kind of stuff jsut gets old, sorry if I offended you, but oh well. A third of your posts lately are devoted to bashing SW and it's moderators....I'm not sure why they put up with it, I sure wouldn't. Time to grow up, life isn't always fair! LOL:brokenheart:

Last edited:

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
This is a great site and it should be better for a fee. So, I paid. I am looking forward to an ever improving Snowest Forum and will re-evaluate at renewal time.

Good Sleddin!

O

OnTheEdge

Jan 10, 2009
Minot, ND
simple solution... Don't read them. Just like how easy it is to avoid a thread about $100 for tinting lights on a sled... just don't click.

Funny to have a 17 yr old tell us that we should be spending our money. I usually don't hassle people about their age, but in this situation, I just can't help it.

After a blown motor in my Subie, a broken septic line under my house, a bad lift pump & injector in my Cummins (all this month)... I've got better things to do with my money, it's called living, not spending it on a forum. EVERY dollar counts & any spare $$ I have will be spent on gas, not to go in Christopher's pocket.

ahahaha
hahahahahahahahahhahahaha you think i dont live? you think my daddy pays for my chit... well you can go f right the hell off. im sick of you and ive only known you for 2 hours. I took out the loan for my first second and third sled, my dirtbike, paid for my pitbike in cash, my first truck second truck and my car. i blew a motor in my civic at 15 and $3000 later i swapped it by myself. I just hit a tree stump under the snow on my sled yesterday ripping the whole front end off, you think daddy is guna pay for that mistake? I dont think so. I pay for my own food at school everyday, my own gas to drive 30 miles to school everyday, my own clothes. Ive held a steady job since I was able to hold a job. So don't start buddy.

oh and congrats, you learned how to use the search bar.

everyone rags on me cause my age for money and the knowledge to do it. but im not the average 17 year old.

you coulda been humble about the situation like me i was to my point and done, but you took it to another level

Last edited:

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
Why dont' you go back to the post I posted and read it. Don't see how I was whining? Simple started the fact, not opinion, and a warning to others that have done this mod to be aware, that you may end up with a lot worse situation that a cracked tunnel. Show me one post that reported the cooler breaking and the engine going down. I also stated it would have been real nice if BDX would have sent something to their customers about the possibility of broblmes. My tunnel cracked already, and I didn't say boo about it, not until the cooler broke and I lost my engine. I also did state that it was my fault, wish I would have thought things through. I suppose all the other people that had issues with his mod installed them wrong as well? That being said, BDX had a responsibility in it as well.

It's costing me a hell of alot more than $10 to fix, and BDX has helped me out and in my mind made it right. I certainly didn't rant on about how I'll never buy things from them again either. Not sure how you can even compare the two? Must be the same type of mentality that you you won't even pay a lousy 10 bucks to be a member. I don't see the moderators deleting your thread even though you are bashing them.

Again, look at my post, just warning others. I actually think there has been a lot less BS on this site the last 6 months. But this kind of stuff jsut gets old, sorry if I offended you, but oh well.

Haha neither of you guys are going to win this argument :) Maybe you can agree to disagree!
Moderators always get bashed in every site I go to, I am very bias on this, but I think the M-Series forum is one of the better forums out there. I don't think there is a lot of "Moderation" in here.....if there is something I missed that happened just PM me and let me know whats up. I am all about making this forum better, and I think we have made some steps to do that.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
hcs is good for f series stuff. and arctic chat is just ok all around. I don't know what site is gonna be better for m series stuff. honestly this just sucks.

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
Not another site that comes close to this one for AC (especially mountain sleds) in my opinion. It may or may not go downhill but it will have to go a long ways downhill before another site beats it. I suspect we'll lose more Doo & Poo riders as they have other viable sites. That will hurt in some other areas, like swap and general but I'll be surprised if a LOT of Cat guys move. My $.02

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
its really such a minimal cost... cut going out for supper for one night and its paid for.

W

W A O

Nov 3, 2009
WEST JORDON UT
Cost of a server

Hi guys I just read all of these replies and I am just a little puzzled. As I think this will go if you dont want all the tools this site will give you I thought I read you could just stay basic?
Now to my title, I am in the plumbing/mechanical trade and it just so happens that I am just finishing a internet server site that can handle up to 65,000 people at once.This is small time in the server industry.This server just cost the owner for just the mechanical part of his internet use 600,000 dollars and change. This is not for the computer side of the server,this is just to cool those computers. This is the pipe and the chillers and the cooling towers and the controls to keep this server cool so it can operate.Now think about all the computers still to buy($)?
Dont know how much snowest had to expand but it cost a ****load of coin just to let you log on.
Would you go to work and do a good job for free. I think not.Right or wrong they feel they need to charge to survive, so we can pay and enjoy or we can move on.I will pay, yes it sucks but it is what it is
just my rant,thanks
sean

B

bigcat_ak

Nov 27, 2007
North Pole Alaska
Sorry, but I have to disagree.

You've learned so much for the OTHER USERS, not from snowest.
Those other users now are asked to pay to post their info so we can read it.

I was going to stick around, but now I see we can't even read the CO forum without paying. I thought it was going to be the tech forums only...? What happened?

SNOWEST made this forum available for us to share ideas and info FOR FREE!!!! Now that it has gotten so big and needs some help the LOYAL members cry and leave. WHEN THE GOING GOT TOUGH, YOU ALL GOT GONE.:face-icon-small-fro $10 A YEAR??? That's all it took make people show their true colors. Had just as much fun when we only had 3000 members anyway. AHH the tetonice/BIG JOHN wars. :face-icon-small-hap

B

bigcat_ak

Nov 27, 2007
North Pole Alaska
Seems to me that some are missing a chance to make changes they want. If you are a paid member you have a voice. RIGHT? You can't change it from the outside! Is this new set-up prefect? NO. But I would like a chance to get closer to perfect.

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
I kind of feel like they are going about this wrong.

This entire site is covered in advertisement, almost every company that is involved with snowmobiling is paying for advertisement space on this site. I can't imagine that there is not enough advertisment money coming in to cover the operating costs and then some.

Heck, I have a free account at Pogo and can play games for free and have a chance every time to win cash money, it's all possible because of the advertisement they run.

The real big bummer for me is that there are all these new features that come with a mebership, that I do not need or would use, I would be perfectly happy with the same features I had when I signed up for my free account, or less even.

I feel like the smarter move would have been to have...
1. A low feature basic free account with full access, without the frills that most of us don't need.
2. A premium paid account with all the new features for those who would enjoy and use those features.

I don't see how making everyone pay is gonna weed out the garbage like I keep hearing, that's one thing I like about snowest, there really isn't a whole lot of garbage to weed through like you find on other sites.

I guess I'm on the fence, I enjoy learning and helping people here, but I wish they would have offered a basic free account with full access and low level features. It's just been so nice to be able to come free of charge and offer advise to those who need it, and learn from those who know more than I. It's always been about the sport and the friendship, not a service. I look forward to hearing others opinions on this.

I asked this question to Christopher, here it is along with his response:

Originally Posted by Snodawg
Christopher, I have a serious question that I believe deserves a serious answer. Many of use users, really don't have a need for or let alone know how to use many of these new features that have come our way, yet we still would like to have full access to all posts. So why don't we have two different paid memberships (as quoted from "m7ascent")

1. A low feature basic free account with full access, without the frills that most of us don't need.
2. A premium paid account with all the new features for those who would enjoy and use those features

I'm sure many of us would like to know the answer to this. So please respond. Thanks, Snodawg

Christopher:
if there is a thread running discussing this topic and I missed it, please accept my appologies. I have had somewhere around 500 e-mails and PMs today and just happen to be reading the very last ones right now.

Harris Publishing looked at many different possible combination's of user accounts.

In the end they wanted to settle on what they thought was pretty simple, and yet at the same time offer a strong motivation for users to upgrade.

Allowing a free user account with unlimited Read/Write privileges with the minimal feature set would simply be rolling the forums back to where they were last summer, and their goal was to no longer be in that place

Got a little chuckle reading the last post when you mentioned "tetonice & Big John" Guess it has been a little while....."The Good Ol Days"

C

ClimbHigh

Dec 4, 2009
Nampa, Idaho
I have learned so much from the M post this year and will pay the $10. But I am worried about the guys with good knowledge leaving or the new comer with knowledge not joining because he can chat for free some were else. I guess we will see this next year.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
snowmanx & on the edge...

My point was that you two want to talk about people whining, but WE ALL WHINE when we're not happy about something, we only like to call it whining when we disagree with what is being said.

Snowman, I'm in no way related to BDX, I've just installed a few of them & even after one of them flipping & trashing the bumper handle, it's still fine because of the way we installed it. What I was getting at was when you came on here talking about how this happened to you, people could have told you to shut up & quit whining, but nobody did that despite the fact that 99% of us knew it was an issue a year ago.

Empathy. You can have it or not, life is easier with it.

On the edge, same deal, you want to talk about how those of us that aren't happy should shut up & you don't want to hear it, don't click.

Your response is the reason I don't normally talk smack about someone's age, but it makes exactly my point... you just can't presume to know another person's situation. It goes both ways.

I'm not her to bash on you guys that have decided to pay, but on the other hand, just because you've decided you're ok with it, doesn't mean all of us will be.

wyoboy, offroad engineering, hatchers, montanasledder, bgreen.... there are tons of guys on here that have forgotten more than I will ever know & understand about a 2 stroke sled, much less a turbo!! These guys are the ONLY reason I would even consider sticking around, it has nothing to do with the forum itself, it's the people.

edit: btw, Kevin, thanks for leaving this up & letting people talk about it, kinda like how a forum should be... There may be hope after all.

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
ahahaha
hahahahahahahahahhahahaha you think i dont live? you think my daddy pays for my chit... well you can go f right the hell off. im sick of you and ive only known you for 2 hours. I took out the loan for my first second and third sled, my dirtbike, paid for my pitbike in cash, my first truck second truck and my car. i blew a motor in my civic at 15 and $3000 later i swapped it by myself. I just hit a tree stump under the snow on my sled yesterday ripping the whole front end off, you think daddy is guna pay for that mistake? I dont think so. I pay for my own food at school everyday, my own gas to drive 30 miles to school everyday, my own clothes. Ive held a steady job since I was able to hold a job. So don't start buddy.

oh and congrats, you learned how to use the search bar.

everyone rags on me cause my age for money and the knowledge to do it. but im not the average 17 year ol

you coulda been humble about the situation like me i was to my point and done, but you took it to another level

fullacrap

Premium Features