• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 Low End Bog

C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
Could it be secondary issue? Has anyone tried fixin the problem with shift assist? I assume the bog shows in on/off type driving?

No, the bog is only off idle. In fact if I blip the throttle a couple of times (but not enough to engage the clutch) then I can pin it to the bar or roll into it however I want and there is no bog at all. That's why I originally thought it was a fueling issue. I guess the same symptoms would also point to an over oiling issue too.

If you have less the 300 miles on it your shooting in the dark. the performance will increase. these new motors need the backpressure from the stock can as well. look at slps pipe dyno, more hp with stock can. they are probably running to much oil from the factory to. The 09 oil pumps a lot of the time didn't look like the stuck but if you disconnect the cable and flip the pump back and forth you can feel where it binds causing over oiling once in a while. My 09 m1 did the same as yours, put on a bdx oil delete and felt like I added 30hp off the bottom. crisp and snappy

The problem is it has gotten worse as I've put more miles on the sled. My first ride (0-60 miles) I only noticed it a couple of times. My second ride (60-130 miles) it was happening about 50% of the time. I'm planning to continue putting miles on it but I wanted to see if anyone else was seeing the same issue on the 2010 motor.

I'm going to take a look at the oil pump, but there is no way I'm ditching the oil injection. Premixing sucks.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I put the HPS can on mine and dropped the engagement down to 4000RPM and no bog,,, you grab the throttle ant it just GOES!!!!!!!!!!

thekrust

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Okanagan
I've got my engagement down to 3600rpm's. I believe this contributes to the long compression braking issue as the clutch stays engaged all the way down to 3200rpm. Seems to load up a bit and requires a few pokes of the throttle to get it back up and going. If you stay in the gas a little bit it doesn't bog at all.

C
Dec 13, 2007
Colorado Rockies

Well, if it is brand new, I would take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it. Is it still under warranty? Or have you modded it to where the warranty no longer applys? Im not a hunderd percent on this, but I believe M serier to be lean on the bottom end before the power valves open up. At least this was the case with the older sleds, not sure about the 2010. My 2006 M6 hade the same problem. adda a boondocker box and added some fuel and away we went. From what I am reading, Yours is doing the EXACT same thing as mine was doing. Just a thought....

B
Mar 9, 2009
Minnesota
i recently bought a 2007 M8 with 1600 miles and it also does the same exact thing... if you get off the throttle, stop for more than 20 seconds and try to hold it wide open off a dead stop it will just bog down.. but a few burps on the throttle and its clear as a bell again... i also think it seems like it loads on fuel which is making it bog down

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
hm

my 2010 m8 153 sno pro didnt bog one time first tank of mixed gas, second tank it boged twice. im used to this issue so i know how to ride around it by feathering the throttle before you do something that it might bog. my 08 m8 did the same thing... this definatly isnt a 2010 specific issue and something to consider is the throttle sensor, i know on my last sled it happened all the time when i had my goldfinger throttle on. but even removing it i still never got it to go away fully but definatly didnt happen as much.

hoping someone comes up with a fix, its really rare, but sometimes it will screw ya if your expecting to pin it and it bogs hard, (i went over the handlbars one time) expecting all that power and got a nice bog!! lol i dont think this issue has anything to do with the exhaust bog, cause its not always in deep pow, the intakes clean and the exhaust is open, it will still do it.
-Aksnopro

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
if it gets worse with more miles I would say try a new belt and play with the belt tension. or the oiler is sticking more. Maybe even get a 44/36 helix and a shift assist. have your clutching alignment checked also it may have went off do to the mounts loosening up, not a bad idea to check PV cable adjustment early too( not that it would cause this problem)

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Had mine out today for its first real full day of riding. It ran great! It did bog once but that was it. Consistent the whole rest of the day. I have an HPS can.

J
Dec 4, 2007
Northern Sweden
Is anyone else getting a little bit of a bog right off idle?

It doesn't do it all the time but it's pretty frequent. It's almost acting like its getting a little too much gas or loading up. I can usually clear it up if I blip the throttle a couple of times before taking off. Once I just pinned it when it bogged off the line and the machine fell on it's face until I let off the gas, which is partly why I think I may be getting too much gas. My only change to the machine has been the can and I've got about 120 miles. Other than the bog (about 25% of the time) the machine runs like a top. Amazing low mid and top power.

Thoughts?

back to the dealer.. maby the tps sensor is off just i bit.. but i can say to you that the problem has nothing whit clutching to do!

C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
back to the dealer.. maby the tps sensor is off just i bit.. but i can say to you that the problem has nothing whit clutching to do!

If only it were that easy. Unless they can duplicate the problem (which they can't unless they take it out and ride it) they won't fix anything and I'll be without my sled for a few weeks. No thanks.

J
Dec 4, 2007
Northern Sweden
If only it were that easy. Unless they can duplicate the problem (which they can't unless they take it out and ride it) they won't fix anything and I'll be without my sled for a few weeks. No thanks.

at last thay can check that tps is correct adjust to factory settings.. that do not take not alot of time.. max 1h

tps setting is really important for right A/F air ratio and it sounds like a A/F ratio problem you have..

dont know how severe the problem is but 120miles is really not so much breakin time so maby after some more miles it goes away.. it would be easyer to help you if i could hear it in IRL..

trying to help you my A/C friend :beer;

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
my 2010 m-8 also has a bit of a rich fuel gurgle just above clutch engagement....i notice it if i'm doing a slow turn around and just need a little throttle, mostly at higher elevations above 8500' or so....i'm sure it's a fuel mapping problem, not a clutching problem (although having a low engagement will make it more noticable)....it doesn't as yet create a serious problem, as it's just a bit of a gurgle that cleans out immediately with more throttle, or a blip....my engine/exhaust is stock, 150 miles on sled, no oil in tank, good premium fuel....it has done it with stock clutching and also with my clutch changes.....not something a dealer is going to be able to fix, as it's an ecu mapping problem....as several people are reporting this, it's not likely an individual sled problem....if cat should want to re-map my ecu, i will say no thanks, 'cause otherwise it runs fantastic!!! :)

C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
at last thay can check that tps is correct adjust to factory settings.. that do not take not alot of time.. max 1h

tps setting is really important for right A/F air ratio and it sounds like a A/F ratio problem you have..

dont know how severe the problem is but 120miles is really not so much breakin time so maby after some more miles it goes away.. it would be easyer to help you if i could hear it in IRL..

trying to help you my A/C friend :beer;

I appreciate the help but don't have a lot of faith in the local AC dealer to get my sled in and out quickly.

B

Bullcamp

Dec 6, 2007
WY
Not been on my new m8 yet. So far, no bog. Have been riding for about 30 years now, and what I read just makes me wonder what you all expect from a sled. It's a 2 stroke. It's a tempermental bastard. It's amazing what has been done to make them run as well and as problem free as they do. If you need to blurp the throttle or check the oil injection once in a while then do it. I can remember if you made a 20 mile ride without pulling back one or 2 sleds it was a problem free day. If GM had to built a car that ran all day at 8000 RPM and got the driver home at the end of the day they wouldn't be bankrupt. What we're riding today is amazing. When I started riding, without an Alpine you didn't get anywhere. Saw alot of country from half a tunnel, leaned how to change a belt and be patient watching other folks break trail. Love the new sleds. Don't have to wait on anything execpt my own inexperience. Stop ranting about a bog once in a while and learn how to ride around little things like that. If it ani't dead it'll get you home.

B
Mar 9, 2009
Minnesota
whoa big guy MOST people come on here to talk about problems they have to see if anyone has had the same problem or find some help from other snowmobilers... not to complain...

Premium Features