• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions on your 2010 M8

J
Oct 20, 2009
Anchorage
i have about 25 miles on my hcr and i like it but this is my first cat and one thing i noticed a few times is that that the seat is kind of slick, i like the look and feel of it, but it just felt a little slippery. were the old m seats as slick as these new ones?

OCDsledder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2003
Cheyenne WY
I'm very happy with my SP. I rode an '05 1000 summit so this thing is unbelievable. Almost the same HP and 60 or 70lbs lighter. I put 23 miles on the first ride and 58 mile on the second ride. I was only able to see 8100 rpm on one run. That was around 10,000ft. It does seem to idle a little fast, around 1750rpm. Very snappy when taking off. I love it.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
my buddy and i got 10's, mine is an le and his is a white sp. We left the 68's in for 6-9k and we are riding 8-11k, got 100 mile on each and the max rpm has been 8240 rpm. Think when it breaks in it will be perfect? Maybe i will shave off a gram or two but the 63's will rap out too much.

thanks ,,mabe I got ahead of my self tho some guys are only getting 8-8100 at 6-9ft hope I have a wed sled!!!!!!! I agree the 63 would be bad thats why I put in 65's

Dec 21, 2008
whats up with the guy who says his freind had a crank issue was wanting all the info i can get looking at picking up a 2010 m8 sp on saturday havent heard a hole lot on them seems to me a lot of dealears are really cutting the prices down low wondering if they just want them gone cause they know someting we dont

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
There are alot of them out on the snow already and I have not heard of any problems. I sold several that have 300 miles or more and zero problems. It is early yet but I think these sleds are going to be as or more reliable as previous m8's. If dealer are giving deals it is because of the economy not the product.

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
There are alot of them out on the snow already and I have not heard of any problems. I sold several that have 300 miles or more and zero problems. It is early yet but I think these sleds are going to be as or more reliable as previous m8's. If dealer are giving deals it is because of the economy not the product.

I agree with powder pounder...........it's the economy not the sleds. I will get my new 2010 M8 on the snow this weekend.........so excited I can't hardly stand it!! Hope all goes well. But while I have been waiting to ride I have been reading and researching as much as possible and I have heard very, very few negatives coming back on this sled.

Just like any new product..........there is going to be some things found on some of the sleds......production lines aren't perfect. Heck........going over my new sled I found a handfull of rivets that were loose / not set all the way or installed wrong. A half hour with a drill and new rivets and they were fixed.........it's just the nature of the beast when it comes to mass produced anything....... just my 2-cents.

Dave

C
Jan 24, 2009
Labrador, Canada
Anyone had theirs backfiring while trying to start? I had it happen once the day I got it and started it in the garage, had it happen again after my ride today when I started it after coming home and letting it sit on the lawn for 20min before putting it in the garage.

First time was nothing major, barely noticed it other then the little puff of dust that came up from the floor from under the exhaust, the one today sounded like a gunshot, scared the crap out of me, happened first haul, started next haul though.

R
Feb 17, 2008
Hilliard, AB
Anyone had theirs backfiring while trying to start? I had it happen once the day I got it and started it in the garage, had it happen again after my ride today when I started it after coming home and letting it sit on the lawn for 20min before putting it in the garage.

First time was nothing major, barely noticed it other then the little puff of dust that came up from the floor from under the exhaust, the one today sounded like a gunshot, scared the crap out of me, happened first haul, started next haul though.

Let your sled idle down for a minute or so. Your pipe, etc was still hot, and the raw fuel coming through the engine ignited in the pipe. At least it lets you know you have a good heart :)

C
Jan 24, 2009
Labrador, Canada
Let your sled idle down for a minute or so. Your pipe, etc was still hot, and the raw fuel coming through the engine ignited in the pipe. At least it lets you know you have a good heart

Haha neighbors across the road from me ended up looking out the window after the backfire. Good thing I've been working out like crazy for the last year else I might have had a heart attack.

G

GettnUnstuck

Dec 6, 2005
Prior Lake, MN
Had mine in Revelstoke a couple weeks ago. About 150 miles now and wow! This sled flat out rips. Impressed with the durability, minus the handlebars that I snapped. But I ran over trees and bounced off some more and it impressed me a lot. This motor is full of power. Not sure what the clutching is like as I cannot really see my gauge while riding. Super impressed. Here's a couple videos of some chitty riding. Not used to this chassis. It's new to me, I came off a '98 RMK 700.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iA0BTvyoV0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEqEyDYqYeg

Anything new is going to feel good to you coming off your previous sled:) J/K glad you are happy with the new ride!

so i put 50 miles on my new m8 today which puts her about 120 and i dont even know how to describe...i feel like ive switched brands..it a whole different sled ..i pounded through holes and climbed chit i wouldnt have on my 06 mod sled my buddies 09 was no match i blew through holes he was stuck in and right to the top im gonna have to learn what it cant do cause rigjt when i think im done ..it just doesnt stop ..power is there always...cant wait for more snow...cant wait to put it up ahainst my buddies modded 1000 i think i got him now

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
today was the first time I got into some DEEEP snow with mine and oh man I love it. It just keeps going and going. Its gonna be a good year!

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
I am to the piont of buying an M8 right now. Before Christmas. Is the 2010 worth the extra $$$ over an 09? I would be putting on the new seat right away anyway. But I'm not sure which way to go? Coming off an 800 poo with five motors in 1300 miles I am a bit scared of the new motor as it is unproven at this point Anyone have failry high miles on one yet?

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Fyi

The 2010 are great and wait until we get snow and they will prove them selves.
OK now the bad new cat over sold them and are out at the factory. They shorted me 10 m8 153 SP and I have 1 left I will be out of 2010 by jan 1 I have already been searching and no one is giving them up yet. I am going to see if I can get more but have to get them from dealers.

It going to be a good year.

sledr900

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
WSS, MT
Same as last year!

OK now the bad new cat over sold them and are out at the factory. They shorted me 10 m8 153 SP and I have 1 left I will be out of 2010 by jan 1 I have already been searching and no one is giving them up yet. I am going to see if I can get more but have to get them from dealers.

You posted this last year also. I just did a search "09 M8's Sold out" and found your post. I believe you that the factory is out, but I know of brand new 2009 M8s still sitting at the dealers.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta

I'm sure they will. I just don't feel like spending $14,000 on something that I don't know for a fact won't have issues. I believe cat makes good motors and they have proven that over the years, and I believe the 2010 will also be a really good motor, but I can get an 09, buy the new seat, slp pipe and other mods if I want, and still be thousands ahead, with a motor I feel totally save with. Yes the 2010 might still run stronger and a bit snappier, but the price alone is a turn off for me. Just the fact that I can buy a hold over 09 with cash, but would need to take $5000 loan for the 2010 is almost enough to steer me to an 09. :) They will both rip I'm sure.

C
I am to the piont of buying an M8 right now. Before Christmas. Is the 2010 worth the extra $$$ over an 09? I would be putting on the new seat right away anyway. But I'm not sure which way to go? Coming off an 800 poo with five motors in 1300 miles I am a bit scared of the new motor as it is unproven at this point Anyone have failry high miles on one yet?

A motor on yer' Polaris every 250 miles or so?

Wow.

I will be straight trippin' if that happens with my Skidoo!!

And probably heading towards a new Cat with you:beer;

HMC 399

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2008
utah
First ride yesterday, bit the bullet and bought a 153- (that way I can ride with backcountry). Motor was as tight as any sled that i've ever broke in,
after 20 miles started to loosen up. clutching seemed good going down trail but in 3 feet of powder in deep trees at 8800' would only pull 7840, pulled like a tractor though. Riding with a good running 09 162 slp and there was not much difference on top end, probably give the edge to the 9, with miles on motor and some clutching on the 10 it will be there or a hair above the piped 9. I did not like the engagement on the 10, it needed to be a little lower and smoother for the heavy tree riding I prefer, but the low and mid range power was impressive, this is where I felt it excelled. Seat was good but I like last years Boss seat better and it will be put on soon, if I didn't already own it i don't think I'd put down the $399.00 for the Boss, but the boss is definitely $100 better than the cat. This is going to be a good sled, will it stomp on a dialed in XP- no-way, beat it yes but not by as much as we would like to think. In my opinion after a 50 mile ride it's by far the best production sled I've ever bought. A gripe I continue to have with cat though is in the suspension department, please FIRE whoever is in charge, why should I have to spend another $200-$500 to get it to ride like brand x does out of the box. Does the suspension guy have pict,'s of someone high up at cat?

Premium Features