• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BDX Bumper Cracking Tunnel

S

superfast

Nov 26, 2007
Billings Montana
We have three sleds in our group with the bdx bumpers and all of them are tearing in the same spot and they were never landed on or anything of that nature just from lifting the sleds out of the snow and another buddy of ours that has the bdx did the same as christian

R
Jul 16, 2008
tunnel

I should have gone with ???

mseries%20lite%20parts%20003.jpg

http://vanamburgonline.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=48&products_id=232

i have this tunnel rear end on my 2008 M8 162 and it is suuuuuper strong no bending or racking once so ever and its lighter too so in other words spend the money and get it done right with the van emberg rear end ... polishes up nicely too all in all my kit consisted of VE rear tunnel extension, bumper, heat exchanger and runningboard edges and it came to 1200$ canadian with install

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
well i can see some plates to be made up for the inside of the tunnel a bit each side of the foot peg...i wonder if the bdx update will be offered before i get off my ar$e..this is serious stuff we are seeing here..feel for you guys already hurting..this is where stand up companys step up to the plate

G

Gibsons

Nov 26, 2007
saskatoon
i have this tunnel rear end on my 2008 M8 162 and it is suuuuuper strong no bending or racking once so ever and its lighter too so in other words spend the money and get it done right with the van emberg rear end ... polishes up nicely too all in all my kit consisted of VE rear tunnel extension, bumper, heat exchanger and runningboard edges and it came to 1200$ canadian with install

what is vanenbergs web site so i can look at getting one. I was looking at the BDX, but now i'm thinking not.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
There's one little thing which seems to be underestimated in BDX and Cat -09 tunnels:
The rear bumber needs to be mounted properly to the rear suspension brackets. Now there's a gap between bumber and bumper and bracket so only thing preventing tunnel collapsing is that 1.5mm thick aluminum (I mean tunnel). And you can imagine how strong that part of the tunnel is...

I did my -06 to -09 conversion by mounting rear bumper to the rear suspension bracket. Used slightly longer bumper and several rivets inside the tunnel and below footrests. There's still need for reinforcement between bumber and bracket.

IMG_0254.JPG

Dec 22, 2007
There's one little thing which seems to be underestimated in BDX and Cat -09 tunnels:
The rear bumber needs to be mounted properly to the rear suspension brackets. Now there's a gap between bumber and bumper and bracket so only thing preventing tunnel collapsing is that 1.5mm thick aluminum (I mean tunnel). And you can imagine how strong that part of the tunnel is...

You got it.. I looked at my brothers bdx bumper kit last night (About 5-600 miles on it) Where the foot piece and the bumper meet the tunnel is warped and fatigued. Its not going to last. When you lift up on the bumper, it pulls away from the foot piece almost an 1/8 of an inch. I see this being a big issue..

Dont wait to fix this!!! Or you also will have an air brake.

Last edited:
B
Dec 2, 2001
Billings, MT
this has happened to everyone that I ride with. They arnt tied to the running boards they all broke from just lifting the sleds. They are crap hope mike does something to help us all out.:mad:

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
Has anyone with an air brake contacted Mike at BDX yet. Mine tunnel is starting to go in the same location.

Jason

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
pics?

Does anyone have a picture of exactly where their tunnels are cracking? I'll have to look at my BDX conversion tonight...

jtt454

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Noth Dakota
I have had the same problem. Mine cracked after lifting the rear end of the sled last weekend. Ripped the tunnel and cracked both cooler lines. Here are some pics of mine:

DSC00573.jpg DSC00576.jpg DSC00577.jpg DSC00578.jpg DSC00579.jpg

S

sledhed88

Dec 13, 2007
Im guessing i was the first one to contact mike about this problem cause he didnt know one existed. But this seems like a pretty frequent/devastating problem!! Nothin like getting choppered out cause ur coolers broke

Im guessing i was the first one to contact mike about this problem cause he didnt know one existed. But this seems like a pretty frequent/devastating problem!! Nothin like getting choppered out cause ur coolers broke

Its an expensive fix if you are a not due it your self kinda guy...:eek:

I made some heavy brackets to compansate the weak area
will post some pics tomorrow

R

Rms Rydning

Sep 30, 2006
North Norway
Problem is not the BDX kit,but the stock cooler that akts as a claw when you do wheelies...Thats why it brakes.

I have a BDX kit but straighned a 07 CF cooler so i didnt run into this problems.

Premium Features