• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fire

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
So as of today I got the official SCREW YOU from Skidoo concerning my still under warranty 2017 Summit X fire. After taking it up the ladder, and getting the case reopened after they tried to pull the aftermarket can BS, they are refusing to do anything because "we are unable to determine the cause of the fire". Oh, they did offer 2,000 off IF I don't file an insurance claim, whoopi.

May be an Alpha in my future.
3fe123323f8b431a3e1c3d0edf32a963.jpg
37379e44a1f47cfc53e7c78f2aa3a5a8.jpg
66dda66fc64e1d0429784738df259867.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
Was just out riding, the sled died. After about 4 pulls it smelled a little like gas. Approximately 2 pulls later boom. Had been out riding around 4 hours. There was no damage to the sled and no, the brake wasn't on.

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Was just out riding, the sked died. After about 4 pulls out smelled a little line gas. Approximately 2 pulls later boom. Had been out riding around 4 hours. There was no damage to the sked and no, the brake wasn't on.

So after 4 pulls on an eTec you smelled gas and kept pulling?

Did it usually take that many pulls to start that sled?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Damn man, that sucks.

I wonder if your fuel line fell off the rail or something.

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
Damn man, that sucks.

I wonder if your fuel line fell off the rail or something.
That's all I can think of. On 850 Mountain on FB a few others chimed in explaining that that had happened to theirs in one form or another, just didn't catch on fire.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I was there and witnessed it, totally sucked and long ride out doubled up. I would not be brand loyal after a sled under warranty left me far in the backcountry after catching on fire.
I don’t like brand bashing but treating a loyal customer like this is sad! Ski Doo, I hope you are listening as I will now tell everybody I know in the industry this story and how you screwed a loyal customer.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Casey, I hope your insurance company goes after them to offset the loss! Sorry to hear about Ski Doo not taking care of a loyal customer with a low mile high dollar sled under warranty that caught fire and potentially put you in a life threatening scenario.

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
Casey, I hope your insurance company goes after them to offset the loss! Sorry to hear about Ski Doo not taking care of a loyal customer with a low mile high dollar sled under warranty that caught fire and potentially put you in a life threatening scenario.
State Farm said they will retrieve, access, and do research to see if this is common, at least fuel system failures, and go from there. As you saw firsthand however there's not much left to inspect.

Doo also stated that if something found they will send out their own guy. Basically they are hoping to skate and figure the ins guy will find nothing concrete to go on.

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Them talking about not filing an insurance claim seems really strange to get the discount seems really strange considering that would be the first normal step for most people who have insurance on something.

Either way the entire thing sucks.

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
That wreaks of "not the way to do business".
The whole thing wreaks that way to me. First claiming the can issue then backing off and today agreeing when I said we both know that had nothing to do with it and pointing out it was dealer installed. Then a measly 2G's? I even offered that whatever my insurance pays me, tho I don't believe I shouldn't have to claim anything, that that amount could go towards the complete purchase of a new snowcheck. That was not agreed to bc she said that if I'm "made whole" by ins company then its double dipping, so to speak, and if ins co goes after them they are then on the hook in that manner. I feel if sure of their conclusion then that won't be an issue and my offer is more than fair. They are just out profit really, still getting paid for cost of replacement.

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
Them talking about not filing an insurance claim seems really strange to get the discount seems really strange considering that would be the first normal step for most people who have insurance on something.

Either way the entire thing sucks.
I thought that also. I added "is that double dipping" so to speak and she said yes. I'm like what difference does it make. Your trying to help out a customer, and not much may I add, so who cares where the rest of the money comes from. Why would I accept 2G when ins will pay more than that by quite a bit??? I stressed to claims guy that I will do everything I can to help their investigation. He liked that lol

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
all sounds familiar....had the throttle stick on my '13 doo, which resulted in a tree crash and destroyed sled, not to mention broken arm and other injuries...skidoo did the same type of dance, from this reason to that reason, all bs, which is why they couldn't decide which excuse to use from one day to the next.....my insurance paid for the sled and i haven't bought a skidoo since, and i buy almost every year...their loss, plus any others who have changed their buy based on this type of story...:face-icon-small-fro

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
all sounds familiar....had the throttle stick on my '13 doo, which resulted in a tree crash and destroyed sled, not to mention broken arm and other injuries...skidoo did the same type of dance, from this reason to that reason, all bs, which is why they couldn't decide which excuse to use from one day to the next.....my insurance paid for the sled and i haven't bought a skidoo since, and i buy almost every year...their loss, plus any others who have changed their buy based on this type of story...:face-icon-small-fro
Sorry to hear esp about the bodily injuries. I really like Skidoo and they treated me above and beyond in another circumstance but will certainly have a tough time purchasing again. For them to say "we couldn't determine the cause of the fire" and use as an excuse just angers me to no end. There was an obvious fire and it's not my fault that they can't determine the cause and who's to say that's even true. Hoping insurance nails them to the tree.

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
The saga took a twist. The dealer called me after receiving a call from State Farm for the sled, what's left, to be picked up.

A few minutes later a got a call back from the dealer and to make a long story shortER, lol, the service manager was in training and the trainer is friends with the guy handling my case on the mechanical end. Feedback I got was that HE IS NOT done with his investigation and will be NEXT week.

So the head customer service person that handles claims tells me they are done BUT YET the guy DOING the investigation says he's not! WTH!

Needless to say this whole story is email documented and sent to my insurance agent. It's gone from fishy, money off offered if I don't file a claim, to downright crooked.

To me it sounds like the rep was either tired of my calling, I was always polite, or their policy is to stall then make up a story to rid themselves of the customer verdict be damned.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks for the updates, keep them coming.

This why people pay so much for new sleds for cryin out loud. Friggin warranties. They're pointless if they don't work.

Premium Features