• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how many cat 800 (2010 to 2012 only please) motors have blown?

2010-2012 cat 800(only 800) engine failure rates

• Total voters

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
See i dont know which one i should vote on, i had a motor seize .8mile from the truck on its first ride cause the dealership that set it up didnt bleed the oil pump and didnt pre-mix the tank when they told me they did pre-mix it! if i had to choose one id say number number but i just dont think thats fair to purpose of the thread because it was not AC fault. But now with new motor not an issue to speak of, she has been running solid!

Well... I'd say the 12 failures & the fact that I included the 2010 motor here are the only thing keeping the poo motor even in the same realm. As it sits, with WAY more average miles, and a whole extra year for failures to show up, the pro motor is still showing about double the failures. Dealer setup aside, and comparing miles to miles I think it's more like 4x the failures at least.

M

mooseman800

Jan 12, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
2010 M8, 2100 miles, engine and diamond drive flawless, but whoever decided that primary got rich... 6 clutches, all warranty, and endless belts. it kills the mountain time and questions reliability of components, and Revy/Fernie trips become less fun coming fromSaskatchewan to have failure 40 kms outback in the mnts.. having a 2010 towed out by a 2008 M8 is alot of beers for my buddy..

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
2010 M8, 2100 miles, engine and diamond drive flawless, but whoever decided that primary got rich... 6 clutches, all warranty, and endless belts. it kills the mountain time and questions reliability of components, and Revy/Fernie trips become less fun coming fromSaskatchewan to have failure 40 kms outback in the mnts.. having a 2010 towed out by a 2008 M8 is alot of beers for my buddy..

That sucks. There has to be some other problem there. Properly set up M's don't eat belts. 6 clutches, that's ridiculous. I'd be giving that sled back. Lol

Last edited:

FreeAgent

Lifetime Membership
May 28, 2008
Hey man... just trying to be fair in the comparison!

Got 2500 boosted miles on my 11 DD btw, haven't even OPENED it. (and been through 4 belts, and I had a weight go loose & stick a primary.)

I see a number of people in that thread saying "they're all the same... they all fail, and I actually have honestly been wondering how they really compare for a while. I think the poo is about 5-10x more likely to fail from what I see, but I really just want an honest comparison to see. Maybe I just see all us trail riding sallies here in co riding cats & that's why I don't see them blowing.

(CO 2.0 is the only person I actually know who has had one fail since 07, and that was a skirt, his I feel was beyond what I expect from piston life on the FIFO laydown motors, but I'm conservative about pistons)

Well as you all know I'm a dealer ;) I have had 3 total failures in the 2010-2012 engines. Now these were honest to god failures one of them I might add is Co 2.0 so two that have not been listed here. I do know of one customer last year that had his motor cold seize at 6 miles but that was dealer set up there had been no heat cycles run on his engine before pick up. I deal with a lot of people and talk to a lot of guys and honestly being a Polaris and a cat dealer I see a lot more Polaris failures then cat. Many of the failures I see I will not count because quite frankly STUPID is not cats fault and should not be counted...

"What do you mean I can't run a 1000 clutch on my 2011 M8 it's the same taper?!". Just one example of many stupid failures NOT cats fault....

Shell

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
Guess we will see when they release the '14.
Cat is testing in Cooke. May try and get a peek.

I will put money on it.
the only yammi cat will be running for yrs to come will be the lawnmower engine in the 120.
yeah they spent and borrowed capital to buy out Suzuki,s 40yr interest in there company so they could not build motors in there new multi billion dollar plant in MN.because they figured they would just buy some heavy out of date slow 4 strokes from yammy.
do u people think this stuff out or just start typing?

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
my 2010 CF800 HO...3 blow ups as well.
first year ran like a top 1000 miles.
second season not so lucky...1st)pto cylinder de-lamination,2nd)pto cylinder heating issue oil or coolant,3rd)cooling issue classic 4 corners(proper warm up maintained) deemed possible thrermostat issue.
Cat/dealer was awesome covered all repairs.

2012 HC 800 top drawer so far 2800 miles and counting

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
evidently you havent priced out oem belts lately? they are all between 150 and 200 a peice..and some of these guys are getting a belt a ride..sounds expensive to me....

$200 a belt? Yeah right, I havnt seen any belt that much I paid 100 for a nice Dayco brand new not online where you can get it cheaper but at an autobody store. And blowing 1 belt a ride? Is there sled running 2000HP or are they just retarded and dont know how to set up a clutch?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
$200 a belt? Yeah right, I havnt seen any belt that much I paid 100 for a nice Dayco brand new not online where you can get it cheaper but at an autobody store. And blowing 1 belt a ride? Is there sled running 2000HP or are they just retarded and dont know how to set up a clutch?

You're not on a 2012... this isn't uncommon. Some guys are losing belts in less than 25 miles on a stock sled. Sad but true. btw, the belt for the 2012 (which we didn't get a replacement version of till late in the year) is about $200.

http://www.speedwerxstore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2858

Be glad you've got what you've got. The minor tuning issues you've got are gravy compared to the hell some guys have gone through on STOCK sleds with this chassis. I ride with a few of them, they're not making it up.

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
2500 miles still going strong, replaced all the bearings in the diamond this year had never had an issue. Never even changed the oil in the DD .... :/ lol bearings where still in decent shape. 1 primary at 1500 miles spider cracked, helix at 2000 miles (was machined wrong) besides that its been awsome!

Oh and uh upper/lower a arm right side, steering post.... Caused from collision with a highway sign..... Lol oops.

Honestly been the best sled I've ever had, I was a Polaris guy before but I love the m chassi. First belt I blew was at 900 miles. I change them before blowing now, pretty sure I'm on #4 :)

Paul27

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2008
Reno, NV
2011 HCR with 1200 miles. No major failures. Engine is running fine. Blew one belt at 1150 miles. Machined track drive shaft to protect the DD. All OK.

Premium Features