• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07/08 M1000 ECU Update Testing Results

M
Nov 16, 2009
ecu update

:mad:I run a 2008 m1000 D&d Y pipe with jaws can, and VF reeds with BD. Ran extremely well. No complaints at all. Did upgrade and ran like s--t. Tried everything, no success. Took ecu back for reflash. It helped, but now have other issues. Dies sometimes after start-up. Dies once and awhile when you hit the throttle in a tight spot, (Bog)specially when you need it- stuck!! Re adjusting BD constantly. What a mess. Wish I wouldn't have done it. Lots of other guy's are happy though.
My 07, stock with can was running great, very crisp throttle since new, had it flashed last week and it sucked, had a really bad midrange bog to about 5000 rpm, good top end, running pretty rich though, lots of smoke when I was on the bar.
I enquired and after checking with AC, the shop was told that the flash should not be done without the other mods. The extra shielding is because the pipe runs hotter and the extra air inlets are to lean it out and it will be great?
I am testing tomorrow, fingers crossed, this sled had run awesome since new, am wondering if I made a huge mistake!

M
Nov 16, 2009
ECU update

:( my update sucked. did it a secound time and it helped. Old quote: if it aint broke don't fix it.
Picked my sled up from the dealer yesterday. 08m1000
Have not ridden it yet but I did notice it idles at a higher RPM which is a plus in my book.
I am a little worried as my sled has ran great since I bought it.
Only issue I have had is after a long pull if I let it idle it sometimes wants to die... I have never had a bog or any other issue besides that. *crosses fingers*

In talking with the service manager he has noticed that on all of the used sleds he has had to reflash they would not go through (including mine)... Took 2-3 times on most sleds to get the reflash to take.
Where ALL of his new floor models took on the first try.:confused:
Is there a possiblility that during the reflash information from the ecu is being sent back to cat?
I will update as soon as I get a chance to ride it.
The dealer is curious as ALL of the sleds he has done have been far from stock.
My sled is the first stock sled he has reflashed.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
How do you know if the ECU has been updated on a used sled you bought? Right now mine has a orange triangle on the AC sticker on the ecu, but then it has a orange dot painted on top of the box too.

Aaron

Jeva

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Get your vin number and call a dealer, they can tell what updates are done on it.

D
Jan 3, 2008
Whitecourt, AB
stumbles and bogs

07 M1000 Timbersled intake, Speedwerx tunnel dump and Pure logic controller.
I've got the same bog and poor throttle response everyone is talking about:mad:. I just bought this and the previous owner says they had no problems with it ( they've got 3 others with no problems either) Ran great before update (video to prove it) just wondering how AC verifies the flash took and if maybe reflashing again would help sounds like some took more than once.

I'm really bummed that it runs like this the whole benifit of buying used was so the bugs would be worked out but I think the flash screwed it up.:(

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
anyway to get this update through the mail?no cat dealer within 300 miles anymore.

M

M1000Mod162

Nov 23, 2009
Colorado
How long does the reflash take? Do they have to send it to thief rivers or can they do it at the dealer? Should i even have mine done i am running a highly moded motor porting, head, pipe with bd box?

S
Jan 7, 2010
Read this whole thread with interest. I have an '08 X/F 1000 and when I bought it, it came with the '09 reflash. Put an Attitude box, Y-pipe and BMP can on it. Sounds like a cow giving birth when you whack it between 6-7K. But only sometimes.

Talked to BMP, Attitude and A/C.

BMP = "Get a fuel regulator and turn it to 40 PSI and adjust the box from there. It's way rich in the mid"

Attitude = Same as BMP but added "try to get the original '07 flash, that's the best". So I called A/C...

A/C = "We pulled fuel from the low and mid and did not change the timing much. BTW, we can't put the old flash back in. Send us the box and we will confirm the re-flash works". At least they called me back and were pleasant....lol

Bottom line from everything I've seen, heard, read and experienced...the mid is PIG RICH in the 6,000 RPM range. The only way you have to work around the issue is to drop the fuel pressure and then compensate the resulting lean spots with the box.

Mine better start running better or it's GONE! And the next one won't be a Cat...too bad, I really like this sled...I hope it works after I put the regulator on!

A

ak1000m

Nov 27, 2007
soldotna,alaska
do not do the reflash

Read this whole thread with interest. I have an '08 X/F 1000 and when I bought it, it came with the '09 reflash. Put an Attitude box, Y-pipe and BMP can on it. Sounds like a cow giving birth when you whack it between 6-7K. But only sometimes.

Talked to BMP, Attitude and A/C.

BMP = "Get a fuel regulator and turn it to 40 PSI and adjust the box from there. It's way rich in the mid"

Attitude = Same as BMP but added "try to get the original '07 flash, that's the best". So I called A/C...

A/C = "We pulled fuel from the low and mid and did not change the timing much. BTW, we can't put the old flash back in. Send us the box and we will confirm the re-flash works". At least they called me back and were pleasant....lol

Bottom line from everything I've seen, heard, read and experienced...the mid is PIG RICH in the 6,000 RPM range. The only way you have to work around the issue is to drop the fuel pressure and then compensate the resulting lean spots with the box.

Mine better start running better or it's GONE! And the next one won't be a Cat...too bad, I really like this sled...I hope it works after I put the regulator on!
the reflash from 08 then 09 will not work .cat has had problems down south with riders running in the lean spot at 5500 rpm area while cruising on trails for extended time. I have not reflashed:rolleyes: and yes they could flash it back but won't! the fix is a programer more money:mad:

S

sledfreak89

Apr 30, 2009
Milford, MI
08 M1000 ecu reflash

I dont know much about having the reflash done. Could anyone inform me on anything else that needs to be done? Do i just send it in to AC and put it back on and everything is good? Thanks for any help!

-Matt

Premium Features