• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

B
Dec 27, 2018
IMO, the single ring will prove to be problematic as will the design of the piston as a whole.

The skirt coating is there for break in running and is designed to take some abuse.

Time will tell on the overall longevity of this engine as a whole. As it looks now, the cylinder is the best part of the engine. We'll see how the rest of the components last (or not).

Oil quantity and oil design is critical to any of these components lasting. I believe there is a new oil Polaris is recommending.
I did not mean what is the coating for. I meant, what are the circles on each piston with no coating on them for?

ADDIE

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2013
I did not mean what is the coating for. I meant, what are the circles on each piston with no coating on them for?

Two options as I see it:

1) This is where they hold the piston to apply the coating But that is just a guess.

2)It could also be a way for them to "quickly" see if the piston is OEM vs Aftermarket via Exhaust duct inspection.

ADDIE

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2013
#2 sounds possible. #1 wouldn't really make sense, since they should be able to grab on the pin side.

I agree, the only reason why #1 might be possible is because the same circle in on the intake side 180 degrees apart. Kind of like forceps holding it.

ADDIE

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2013
Could be designed to 'pool' extra oil during break in?

The coating is LESS than .0005" thick, it has next to zero thickness. It has no ability to hold anything.

It is there to provide lubricity incase it runs into a condition where oil is not adequate it MIGHT save the piston from galling. Prob won't, but it sounds and looks good.

The rings are doing all the "seating" the skirt does not do any of this (like kind of mentioned in this thread).

The piston stops and changes direction every stroke, when this happens the piston will "thrust" against the cylinder walls. Like anything that is thrusted, there is usually more force as a result. IMO, any skirt wearing (not falling off) is a result of this thrusting which is 100% normal in any engine.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
On flooding, there was a team tip in November. There were pins bent in some of the connections. Check all of them. Also a loose ground wire. Any or all could cause the issue.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Love this thread put 77 miles on mine today just about out of gas some trail blasting and meadow reading 8100 at 7700 ft was maximum. Late in the day I ran it pretty hard wide open for a good stretch 20 to 25 seconds in powder. Power seems good is smooth. Coming from a turbo it's hard to compare.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Love this thread put 77 miles on mine today just about out of gas some trail blasting and meadow reading 8100 at 7700 ft was maximum. Late in the day I ran it pretty hard wide open for a good stretch 20 to 25 seconds in powder. Power seems good is smooth. Coming from a turbo it's hard to compare.

You’re not out of the woods yet!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
You’re not out of the woods yet!

Yep when it goes down in woods I will just give it to a yeti and call my insurance. Resale will be great with a new motor and warranty this spring when I order a new one. Another thing mine does not seem rich on the bottom has not flooded out or fouled any plugs. Also running 1.5 oz of ski doo mineral oil per gallon in gas.

Last edited:

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007

I just bought a 2016 Axys with mtntk turbo and it is a total riot to ride. I have been pretty much ruined and I dont think I could ever go back to a naturally aspirated sled. Let two buddies with 850 skidoos ride it and they have been ruined as well.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Yep when it goes down in woods I will just give it to a yeti and call my insurance. Resale will be great with a new motor and warranty this spring when I order a new one. Another thing mine does not seem rich on the bottom has not flooded out or fouled any plugs. Also running 1.5 oz of ski doo mineral oil per gallon in gas.

Right on! I like your style!

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
The coating is LESS than .0005" thick, it has next to zero thickness. It has no ability to hold anything.

It is there to provide lubricity incase it runs into a condition where oil is not adequate it MIGHT save the piston from galling. Prob won't, but it sounds and looks good.

The rings are doing all the "seating" the skirt does not do any of this (like kind of mentioned in this thread).

The crank stops and changes direction every stroke, when this happens the piston will "thrust" against the cylinder walls. Like anything that is thrusted, there is usually more force as a result. IMO, any skirt wearing (not falling off) is a result of this thrusting which is 100% normal in any engine.

I hope you meant to say the piston stops and changes direction on every stroke, ... if it is the crankshaft it must be past my bedtime!!!

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
from what I see on those pistons with 1/10 of a mile on them they have already made contact with the cylinder as their is scraping vertically!! either the peaks are to high { hone is to aggressive} or the dealer left air bubbles in the lines or someone forgot to lube the cylinders when they slid those pistons in, either way scary to think what they will look like in 1 mile 10X that scraping if it continues. I have honed.... well deglazed my own jugs for years and if I saw that after the first 30 seconds I would take it back apart and get the judges fixed {fresh cylinders} as I would think the clearances was out of tolerance {piston to wall} or I ruined the jug when deglazing...

Texasron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Dallas, Tx
Hey Indy, I'm 76 yrs old and need T H E most reliable sled. Would 2018 800 155/163 be most reliable if I could find on. were the cyl/piston best on them?? Thanks ahead Texasron.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
GREAT QUESTION

Hey Indy, I'm 76 yrs old and need T H E most reliable sled. Would 2018 800 155/163 be most reliable if I could find on. were the cyl/piston best on them?? Thanks ahead Texasron.

And very complicated to answer.

My ( personal ) answer would be the 850 hands down my a country mile !

Reason is as follows. ( personal Answer )

On the 2018 800 motor I would ......

#1- would do polish Hone the cylinder so in trail form the Pistons will go 10,000 miles plus. 2500 to 5000 mountain miles.

#2 - remove the stock single OEM PTO bearing and switch it to a double Koyo set-up and machine a locker in the case.

#3 - machine 8 oil slots into the bottom of the rods

#4- remove the upper crankcase check valve and run without it.

The ( 2109 ) 850 I would ......

#1- polish hone the stock cylinder so so in trail form the Pistons will last 10,000 miles plus... 2500 to 5000 mountain miles.

#2- lock ring the factory PTO bearing and into the case.

#3- machine 8 extra oil slots into bottom of the rods.

#4- remove the center upper case check valve and run without it.

#5- machine 2 tiny groves into the crankcase area to get more oil to the 2 center bearings.

So you ask the question........ ( why pick the 850 if you are going to update both motors the same way? ) ?

The reason is the electrical system in the 850 is off the charts better then the 2018 and older 800's

The electrical system on the 2015 thru 2018 800 sleds is absolutely horse chit !!

And the 2015 thru 2108 8000 sleds have more dependability problems because of electrical demons then motor problems by a country mile.

SO MANY THINGS ABOUT THE 850 THAT ARE BETTER.

I LOVE THE 850 !!

Ohhhhhh..... I also found a few more details on the PTO crank seal that Polaris updated mid production.

I have pictures of both seals.... Big difference same part number.

Dan

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
from what I see on those pistons with 1/10 of a mile on them they have already made contact with the cylinder as their is scraping vertically!! either the peaks are to high { hone is to aggressive} or the dealer left air bubbles in the lines or someone forgot to lube the cylinders when they slid those pistons in, either way scary to think what they will look like in 1 mile 10X that scraping if it continues. I have honed.... well deglazed my own jugs for years and if I saw that after the first 30 seconds I would take it back apart and get the judges fixed {fresh cylinders} as I would think the clearances was out of tolerance {piston to wall} or I ruined the jug when deglazing...

Yes Sir..... You nailed it ( everything you mentioned is spot on )

The proof will soon show up..... And show its ugly head.

Dan

Premium Features