• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CR500 cooling system design idea

M
Jan 14, 2004
If I wake up in the morning and feel like superman I reach for the 500 but if I wake up feeling like Pee Wee Herman I usually ride the 450. I seem to have more Pee Wee Herman days. LOL

M5

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
anyone have experience with oversized tank on the CR5? My compression release stuck in yesterday, the blow off hole melted a pin hole in the tank and dumped the gas. I can't believe I didn't go up in flames. Plugged it with a 10mm bolt and rode out... but need to replace the tank now. Just need to be sure the rubber boot for the head mount doesn't get wedged against it again when putting the tank on from jetting and plug checks in the future to avoid that crisis.

Clarke vs IMS 3.5 gallon? any votes on better fit? My decomp is rear facing and will clear any tank.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I have one here. I think its a Clark. I heated it up and clearanced it for the decomp. I wont be using it pm me if you need it. I may have a stock tank as well I need to check.

M5

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
Anyone find the ski pressure on the older chassis is outrageous? I consider myself to be well versed in fork rake, track ski balance, TSS sag, fork height in clamps, spring preload, air pressure in fork legs and all the tricks...

But the 500 is laid back pretty far (30 degrees) and the ski pressure on the ARO ski is unbearable. My arms are getting worked keeping it on the trail.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
interesting, I shoot for 30 degrees on the the fork legs off a plum bob on the KTM and Yamahas (all my previous builds) So that makes sense that the frame rake isn't giving me the same feel on the CR seeing it's so much different in the chassis - that gives me a place to work from to get this ride closer to what I'm looking for. Thanks for the info M5. I might try steepening this up 6 degrees to see how it feels.

M
Jan 14, 2004
It baffles me why the kit builders don't make the ski trail adjustable. Just make the mount adjustable pretty simple stuff.

M5

R
Apr 18, 2016
anyone have experience with oversized tank on the CR5? My compression release stuck in yesterday, the blow off hole melted a pin hole in the tank and dumped the gas. I can't believe I didn't go up in flames. Plugged it with a 10mm bolt and rode out... but need to replace the tank now. Just need to be sure the rubber boot for the head mount doesn't get wedged against it again when putting the tank on from jetting and plug checks in the future to avoid that crisis.

Clarke vs IMS 3.5 gallon? any votes on better fit? My decomp is rear facing and will clear any tank.

I run a steely frame with the big 4 gallon volcano tank, I love it. Yes it is more weight, yes the weight is up high where you don't really want it, but it is more fuel. Between that big tank and the 3.3 kicker that rides the tunnel, I have enough fuel to pretty much hang with anyone. I think we end up burning off the top half gallon on the trail getting to the good stuff anyway. I would not hesitate to run an oversized tank.

Premium Features