• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Review and Installation: PsychoSled "Super Secret Squirrel" Nytro Clutch

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Brian and Snake... We have a kit for all levels... Low engagement and cool clutches - boost or not. PS... The yellow Cat spring is TERRIBLE!

Sent from Moto's iPhad

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
I can attest that getting that secondary back on does take some force! Make sure the second guy is ready for when you get it set so he can get the screws on!

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Chris... As the SC is RPM dependent, you should see right at 10 lbs of boost once the clutching is spot on. If you were experiencing low 8000's most of the time, that would explain 9.5 lbs. Remove weight to get the clutching to around 88-8900, and the boost #'s will follow suit.

Sent from Moto's iPhad

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Chris... As the SC is RPM dependent, you should see right at 10 lbs of boost once the clutching is spot on. If you were experiencing low 8000's most of the time, that would explain 9.5 lbs. Remove weight to get the clutching to around 88-8900, and the boost #'s will follow suit.

Sent from Moto's iPhad

At 6,500ft on straight and level, I was turning 9,250 RPM in packed trail.
At 8,000ft, on a gentle INCLINE going uphill, I was seeing low 8,000s.
I was Not able to find a long flat surface with fresh snow on it to see what RPMs I was turning.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
The most common to see was 9.5 lbs. Peaking occasionally to 11 lbs but at wide open rev limiter hit it's 9.5.

(Typed for Christopher as we are driving off the mountain)

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
It's difficult to understand how boost #'s aren't linear based on RPM... I'm thinking the "good gauge" is telling you stories... Or...its because elevation will change max boost levels... Or, like most guys, it's hard to look at a gauge when pushing max boost... Or...

We gotta have food feedback from you guys to give you good advice!

Sent from Moto's iPharce 5
PsychoSled.com - Got snow?

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
He saw 11 lbs twice today while under acceleration, 10.5 three times under acceleration. And 9.5 every other time the entire day.

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Ahhhhhh.... Well then. I would guess that the bypass valve is leaking boost. Under hard acceleration vacuum vs. boost is at a premium, allowing the valve to close fully, and tightly. Under other conditions, the valve may be held slightly open, causing boost loss. This is often a byproduct of inferior valves that utilize a very weak spring to try to circumvent compressor chuckle.

On a couple of our test sleds, we consistently run 12 lbs of boost at peak RPM, with10 lb. pulleys. It has always been my "guess", but I believe the pulley combos are advertised with a bit of leakage factored in...

It's nice to see another sled that appears to lend credence to my theory... We'll send out one of our valves to see how it stacks up..The 11.5 would be a nice bonus if it was consistent all day; wouldn't it? :)

Sent from Moto's iPhad

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So on Saturday with the "new" gauge, I was running the display in AFR mode.

Today I switched it over to BOOST mode.

The gauge only displays in 0.5psi increments.

Anytime I held the throttle pinned, I would consistently see 9.5 displayed.

But a couple times, for JUST AN INSTANT, while going from ZERO to WOT, I caught the screen showing 11 or 10.5

But that was for just a moment and it would drop right back to 9.5

This was at 6,000ft on groomed smooth trail.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
CLEANING

Moto, you mentioned there was some specific cleaning for belt brake in you wanted me to do?

Please Expound....

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
A nice nylon bristled brush, dishwashin soap, and a good scrubbin' to remove any "stuff".

A break in on the belt is a good idea too... 10-20 miles of less than abusive use, good heat cycling, etc... Helps belt life, but rarely happens.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
A nice nylon bristled brush, dishwashin soap, and a good scrubbin' to remove any "stuff".

A break in on the belt is a good idea too... 10-20 miles of less than abusive use, good heat cycling, etc... Helps belt life, but rarely happens.

Cleaning the BELT or the SHEEVES or BOTH?

E
Oct 23, 2009
blow off valve

my nitro would leak past blow off valve until I tightened spring. now I am seeing 11-12 lbs boost and my pully combo was supposed to be 10lbs. so I have had the same experience with week springs

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
I clean clutches with scotch brite and brake cleaner every 2 rides. Belt only needs the cleaning when new.

As far as break in... It only benefits if you have good clutching to match.

Premium Features