• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Drill and tapping into KTM cylinder head.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
About a month back someone suggested I tap a 1/8"NPT port right into my cylinder head on a 2008 XCW300 = to get my source of handlebar heat. Has anyone actually done this with good results?

I think if I thread my 1/8NPT 1/4-turn ball valve directly into the head it will be a sturdier, cleaner place to start the handle bar cooling circuit but I don't want to chance splitting the head...it seems there's plenty of material to do this right on the head, around (or beside) where the nipple connects to the hose that runs to my thermostat...not sure about wall thickness though. I think the hose connector nipple has a 20 mm thread that could also be removed and replaced to source the heat but I do not want to make a special T-fitting, or splice into the hose for that matter, as the stock hoses are working great as a warm up circuit in conjunction with the thermostat, as is. Also, don't want to disrupt the cylinder cooling circuit by drilling in the wrong place.

Any suggestions as to the optimum tapping location in the head would be much appreciated. I presume the return line from the bars would go below the right side radiator, then one can throttle the heat with the ball valve?

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
I personally would not like taping my head... Don't think t would really hurt anything but you never know.

What T-stat are you running? Could you drill and tap that housing ? I drilled and tapped a second port out of my trail tech sensor to run my carb heater. It's only about 1.5" from the head, plenty hot.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
I wouldn't tap it either, but there is a threaded bleed port that could maybe used if there's room.

I'd rather get from the hosing/thermostat type stuff.

Premium Features