• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

replacing chaincase chain and gears

J
Mar 31, 2012
Mancos, CO
I've got a 2012 Pro, which I bought brand new. I always try to stay up on my maintenance and parts replacement. I've been riding this sled the past 5 seasons and it has about 2700 miles on it. I've changed the chaincase fluid every season and adjusted or checked the chain tension. The chaincase fluid usually has some metal flakes in it when I change it. Should I be looking at replacing the chain or the gears? I would do the work myself so I'm not too worried about cost.

J
Mar 31, 2012
Mancos, CO
Yeah I also just bought a brand new 2016 Axys this past November, so I'm not really looking to spend that much money on the 2012. I want to keep it up and running as a back up sled, and for when I take friends out. I still ride it sometimes when I go riding with the girlfriend and I let her ride the new sled-funny how that happens.

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
I change the chain every year. Cheap insurance

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Ride an 11 PRO 163 and have changed chaincase oil each fall and reset the tension as per manual and after the frist two years I was surprised at how little slack in stock chain, seems to have stretched the first couple of years riding or 2200 miles and after that stretch was no longer a factor, just clean oil and ride it another 1000 to 1500 miles.
gtwitch in wyoming

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
I have a spare chaincase cover O ring/gasket and usually lay the machine on its side with chaincase up and take the cover off and you can get all or most of the oil out and clean, inspect and check tension and fill with new oil correct amount from graduated cyl or measuring cup and on with the cover (new or cleaned up used gasket) and you are good to go and I have not removed either drain or fill plug for years . Of course if any signs of leaking, check seals! I put new CAMSO 2.5 track last fall and replaced all bearngs and seals at that time and now has 5000+ miles on chassis and will get another ride or two as it has dropped 3" in the last 2 hrs here in town (Laramie) so mountains are getting plenty as we write!!!!!!!
gtwitch in wyoming

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
I don't think I could just change oil and keep on forever.. Factor in riding style, jumping and landing a bit on throttle?

Change oil and inspect, good. I would anyway change after a few thousand miles. Try holding the chain horisontal and see if it bows in an arc? Standing straight out means little wear in the links and good condition. Bowing down much, not so good.

RS

Premium Features