• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which top end?

Which top end should I put in? And should I do it myself or pay to have it done?

• Total voters

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I have a 2013 Pro with 1700 miles, I am going to do a new top end this summer. Wonder what people recommend for a top end kit? I am going to do one of three things- 1)RkTek drop in kit 2)MTNTK Fix Kit 3)Polaris Parts
I have heard almost all good about the RkTek kits, but that is the only option that will require a fuel controller, I don't have experience with fuel controllers and it adds $400-$500, bringing the kit total to around $1300. The MTNTK kit uses no fuel controller, but I have not heard as much about them, this kit will run $700-$800. I have had 0, yes 0 issues with my sled and motor up to this point, not even one hiccup, and that is why I am considering running Polaris parts, they would also be cheaper $500-$600.
What do you guys recommend?
The other decision I have to make is whether to put the top end in myself or have it done else where? I enjoy working on sleds, and can turn wrenches just fine, just not a lot of experience with motors, have never done a top end, but would like to learn. Is this something I should just dive into? I do have a shop manual. My main concerns are getting the pistons in the cylinders beings its a mono block, and refilling the sled with coolant.
Again, recommendations? Advice?
I will try to make this a poll. Thanks

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I run the Rkt drop in, great seat of pants power increase, overall happy with it. The downfall with it is more messing around with the fuel controller than I was hoping for mainly because I ride 2 different elevations. One area at 5000'-6500' seems to run good at one set of #s while the other at 7500+ likes another. Not that big of a deal but it took a little to figure both out.
If I were to do it again I'd go rkt direct replacement pistons and spend the rest of the money on a gear down kit and not deal with a controller. I'm more of a rider than a tuner. Lol

If you have a manual and some basic skills replacing a top end is easy IMO.

Doesn't the 13+ mtntk kit require a fuel controller as well?
Edit: No controller for 13+ mtntk kit

Last edited:
S

St0rm77

Oct 17, 2009
Fort McMurray, Alberta
i run the MTNTK kit in my 09 assault. still running it with 2000 miles on the kit with the last 500 or so with 8-10lbs of boost.... still looks very good internally!

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I run the Rkt drop in, great seat of pants power increase, overall happy with it. The downfall with it is more messing around with the fuel controller than I was hoping for mainly because I ride 2 different elevations. One area at 5000'-6500' seems to run good at one set of #s while the other at 7500+ likes another. Not that big of a deal but it took a little to figure both out.
If I were to do it again I'd go rkt direct replacement pistons and spend the rest of the money on a gear down kit and not deal with a controller. I'm more of a rider than a tuner. Lol

If you have a manual and some basic skills replacing a top end is easy IMO.

Doesn't the 13+ mtntk kit require a fuel controller as well?
Ok good information there, I ride elevations from 2000-12000' so that may equate to a lot of messing with the BD box, and no the mtntk kit does not require a controller on the 13 or newers.

Wyopowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2013
call most wanted performance talk to them about there solution it works

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
What is the most wanted performance solution?

1700 miles you should be doing a top end or at very least measuring clearances to ensure your not headed for a catastrophic failure. imo

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
Don't get the RK Tek Kit. There is nothing really wrong with it, but it has issues. The pistons and head are great. Kelsey has a good product, BUT.....The advanced port timing makes the engine very peaky. If you don't pull 8400 rpm its the same as stock. But if you can get you clutching dialed in, it rips. That being said, it is very sensitive to little variations. If the snow sets up a bit or the belt isn't adjusted properly or the temp warms up, it falls below 8400 easily. you will always be adjusting something.

My buddy has the MNTNK kit in his Pro and I find it make the same power as the RK tek kit but has more torque and over a longer power band. It makes really good power from 8000 -8250. So if a few variables change, he is still clutched right and can continue to ride.

Regardless of you not having any issue YET... why would you put pistons in that are cheap and known to fail, when a few hundred dollars gets you a better piston that is lighter and makes more power and runs smoother. Its an easy decision.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Put 60 miles on the Mtn Tek kit last weekend. Feels stronger than stock and that is even with adding a gram to the inner hole on SLP MTX before I left the garage. Turns same or a little higher rpm with the added gram than stock and the motor obviously is not broke in yet. Hope to get more.

Will say, I think it vibrates just as much as it did before. So don't do a kit in hopes that the vibration in the low end goes away.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I did the Mntkt about the same miles as you. Zero issues before like you but it was never stock. IMO a controller on a '13 adds power and life but you are the proof it can survive without it too lol.
My stock pistons were only 1 thou smaller than the replacements so my pistons did not collapse but the rings and lands were worn. I had ordered and purchased the kit before I took it apart so installed it. Had I taken it apart first I may have cleaned up the ports (reason for my ring failure not piston rock) and gone stock again. the CFI port configuration combined with excessive chamfer from the factory left very little ring support on my cylinders.
Doing the top end is fairly easy but in would be nice to have a second set of hands during monoblock installation. Bleeding the system is as simple as blocking up the front of the sled so the motor is higher than the heat exchangers and burbing it twice.

Couple of things; The pistons in my kit had a steeper crown (1 and a bit degrees) so stick with stock head or talk to MNTKT if that is in your plans.

I purchased my kit based on answers and experiences I got from phone calls. You should too IMO. Especially if you feel you might farm out the installation. Pick someone who has done a few. Things like deglaze, break-in, ring sizing are all just as important a not forgetting the piston pin c-clip lol. The tech or shop with more experience is a better pick no matter which kit they are using.

Don't be afraid of stock. Many top shops still recommend and use stock. Most of these shops are rebuilders not parts installers. After I took mine apart I think I saw why. Just remember the recommended mileage intervals. What you or your tech find (make sure they provide you this too, proves they are rebuilding not just replacing) when you take yours apart will tell you what you need to know for your intervals.
It has to make you think when you read about high milers but it might not pertain to your sled anyway. For instance My sled is the smoothest running twin I have ever had in a sled. But some vibrate from the get go.

Durability lol. IMO real information between the kits is not out there. Info like before and after measurements after x # of miles is real hard to find. Either techs and shops don't keep a journal or don't care to share. On the 'net anyway.
My phone calls showed the Mntkt kit to be out the longest and used the most with good results. Not measurements but comfort in #'s. That was my reason for pre-purchasing that kit.

Hope it helps lol but you are asking a very often asked question with a very un answered history

Last edited:
X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Remember RK also has just replacement pistons... Another option, and i think theyre around $350-400

Unless i trade up, im just gonna install new OEM or RK's pistons...

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
I am going to go with RK direct replacement pistons also. Like to keep it simple. No controller. Should be better than stock from what I read. $350 w/out gasket. Check it out on his website.

R

Rev Kev

Nov 27, 2007
Lapeer Michigan
Running Bikeman's Reliability kit on my 2011, bit over 500 miles, and no issues.

End of season update, 1000 miles, and not a single issue with the Bikeman kit, sled has 3100 total miles, and never had an issue stock or with the Bikeman kit, now for off season mods, a Bikeman head is in order!

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
TTT

Interested in more miles of use being thrown in too from users. I'm probably gonna be at a 1000ish with the MNTKT. Should I look inside LOL.
Interested in info from the RKT guys too.

Are we safe now lol.

Premium Features