• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

secondary clutch wear

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
I picked up a pro rmk 2013 for a trip out west and it was only pulling 7800 rpm. dealer said it was good to go at 10000 ft. 60 gram weights black spring stock secondary setup for 2013 pro rmk 163. I will check compression soon but took secondary apart and noticed this?

Attachments

• clutch1.JPG
    clutch1.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 54
  • clutch2.JPG
    clutch2.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 55

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
This wear is not too unusual and only affects comming off the bottom end and is caused IMO by the setting of the belt free play by the hex and lock nut and that is necessary so check the belt free play and just reset if necessary and ride it like it is paid for. I have in the past taken mine apart and put them on the lathe and faced them off, but it comes back again in 800 or 1000 miles/ each year or two.
gtwitch in wyoming

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I don't know how warm your ride was, but warm springtime temps will suck 100 to 200 r's out of your sled. Many have found the stock black spring only worked satisfactorily to about 9,000', anything above that the black/purple was superior for maintaining proper running RPM.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
It's normal wear but really shouldn't be. I'd like to see a Torrington (Thrustbearing) in place and a different way to set belt deflection. Redesign.

Every one I take apart look like that and that sheave bushing I will guarantee needs to be replaced. It wears and allows the sheave to bind on the shaft. This will affect operation.

I still turn the sheave to clean that up and replace the washer and bushing in every one I take apart.

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
thanks for reply

I don't know how warm your ride was, but warm springtime temps will suck 100 to 200 r's out of your sled. Many have found the stock black spring only worked satisfactorily to about 9,000', anything above that the black/purple was superior for maintaining proper running RPM.

I ordered the blue pink slp for the primary and black purple for the secondary. I also just installed a x3 track with avid 7t drivers. I think i will try the 60 weights again on next trip and see how it goes. I have a call into indy dan to see if i can get a hone job on my cylinders. Sounds like he has it figured out.

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
agree

It's normal wear but really shouldn't be. I'd like to see a Torrington (Thrustbearing) in place and a different way to set belt deflection. Redesign.

Every one I take apart look like that and that sheave bushing I will guarantee needs to be replaced. It wears and allows the sheave to bind on the shaft. This will affect operation.

I still turn the sheave to clean that up and replace the washer and bushing in every one I take apart.
Seems they could come up with a better system.

Premium Features