• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sway bar torsion differences?

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Hey guys and gals. I recently picked up a beautiful 2004 700 switchback snowcheck. Years ago I had a 2003 800 RMK so I'm really excited to be back on an Edge chassis. I have lost quite a bit of weight since those days. ( not on purpose ) Anyway, I noticed just trying to tip it on it's side in the garage to install a skid plate was well impossible.

My question is does anyone have a chart or know of the different sway bar tensions? I know the one in the RMK was different than the switchback. I suspect the rmk wasn't as stiff.

I was entertaining the idea of just removing it, but the sled will see a fair amount of trails and possibly even just a couple of days of 2 up riding. So, I'm wondering if I could have the best of both worlds by running a lighter sway bar.

Any help is appreciated.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Has an 03 VE loved that sled. The struggle you are going to have is that chassis was designed to stay flat and maintain traction. All the trailing arm sleds didn't like being on their side. It can be done, but it's not easy. If you do remove the sway bar that will help, but you will need to tighten springs/replace with stiffer ones.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
XC and XC SP springs are available on EBAY. I have removed my swaybar and replace with XC springs. May not save much weight but I like the independent front suspension.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
The sway bar contributes to roll overs, because if you go over a hidden sharp bump in the snow on say your left ski, the sway bar transfers the upward movement of your left ski, to the right ski. Reducing the roll over resistance occurs by causing that right ski to simultaneously collapse from the loss of support caused by the upward thrust from the sway bar. Consequently, you increase the likelihood of the sled rolling over on the right side, and with you ending up pinned underneath it with a broken rib or two. Been there done that.

With an independent suspension, there is no change in supporting conditions from the right ski, when the left ski gets a sudden up thrust from something hidden in the snow. So there would be a lesser chance of a rollover with an independent front suspension. And it is a much nicer ride with only half the sled reacting to hidden obstacles and bumps in the road.

Last edited:
Premium Features