• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

manual chain tensioner? where/what to buy?

B
Mar 9, 2009
Minnesota
hey guys i have a 12 high country and i have had problems with the automatic chain tensioner and my chain jumping so i want to get a manual tensioner, but i am having a heck of a time trying to find where to order them from. Any help is appreciated.. Is one better than another?

Thanks

O

OLD SCHOOL

Mar 24, 2008
Alaska
Broken chain/tensioner

I broke a chain and tensioner this weekend and I think the tensioner was the cause. I think you can use the manual race sled tensioner, will look into it on Monday.

snosumitcsr

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trout Lake Washington
I pulled my chaincast apart last friday to change gearing to 19/50 and found the tensioner slider laying in the bottom of chaincase next to the chain. the roll pin fell out and groud into powder(apparently)no real damage to the chain,gears etc. the tensioner arm is junk, as the other roll pinthat holds the auto adjust is almost out all the way. I had no feeling of a chaincase problem and am lucky to have pulled apart my chaincase prior to major carnage. I think the 600 snowpro adjuster looks like a nice fix, i assume a hole needs to be drilled and tapped into the chaincase. how do u know where to drill this? Procedure for installing the 600 race sled adjuster?

Rod

O

OLD SCHOOL

Mar 24, 2008
Alaska
I am picking mine up tomorrow, will let you know what i find out.
I felt mine break while climbing, I hit a small jump and when I landed it kind of felt like it ratcheted the track but more metal to metal, something I have never heard before and never want to hear again! After the tear down I was really lucky to be able to limp the sled the 10 miles back to the truck.
Once again I am amazed at Northern Power Sports they had everything in stock! Unreal!!

B
Mar 9, 2009
Minnesota
yea i had the same ratcheting feel but more violent and my track was extremely tight because i thought thats what the problem was right away but i think my auto tensioner broke loose after i landed harded than i woulda liked off a jump. musta moved the arm up on the tensioner... couldnt believe how stupid the auto tensioner is set up, thanks for the feedback guys

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
So is the AC factory sno pro unit different or is Supreme Tool's just a copy?

Does the Supreme Tool require you to open the case to adjust? If yes it is not like the Sno Pro 600. The AC manual tensioner is adjustable externally. Also those who have asked...you have to drill the case but the block is threaded so you don't have to tap the case.

Woody

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
Yes, with Supreme Tool's tensioner you have to open the chain case to adjust.

So why have external adjustment? You can't see the chain to check tension unless the case is open right? Doesn't make sense to me?

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Yes, with Supreme Tool's tensioner you have to open the chain case to adjust.

So why have external adjustment? You can't see the chain to check tension unless the case is open right? Doesn't make sense to me?

You tighten the adjuster bolt finger tight and lock the jam nut. Of course opening the case and taking a look around is never a bad thing.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
I was concerned about the chain adjustment too until I thought about it a bit. On e the chain is broken in it never really needs much adjustment. When I've done it in the past I've barely tightened one up. I wasn't in love with drilling the cover.

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
If u didn't want to drill the case the $30 is worth it. In retospect I would probably go SnoPro if its made as well as Supreme Tools.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Backorder

Tried to buy the parts for the Snopro adjuster here in Canada and the main adjuster bolt is b/o till July. Same issue in States or is that some of your dealers stock them.

O

OLD SCHOOL

Mar 24, 2008
Alaska
Sno pro adjuster

I just got done installing the sno pro adjuster and 19/50 gears, pretty easy install and looks well built. I will test tomorrow.

Premium Features