• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1100T ?

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
gearing

in my limited experience the switch between 151 or 153 and 162 or 163 doesnt change gearing.

It should though,, longer track,,, more rotating mass,, more traction,, more weight this all seems trivial but even though there's not really any rule of thumb,, any time you add to a drive train your wear to other components and load on the power plant will be noticeable.. Some say to just change weights or springs but that just adds to the problem. Sure gears and chain are more money,, so are belts and weights and springs and helixes,, one gear change can most of the time solve the problem rather than spending hours upon hours tuning the clutches. Shoot man with just the price of belts alone should be enough to consider a gear change rather than trying to figure out what clutch or spring and helix change will work. Not saying that there is not room for improvement in the clutch side of the equation just saying that when adding more weight and traction consider a simple gear change..

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
It should though,, longer track,,, more rotating mass,, more traction,, more weight this all seems trivial but even though there's not really any rule of thumb,, any time you add to a drive train your wear to other components and load on the power plant will be noticeable.. Some say to just change weights or springs but that just adds to the problem. Sure gears and chain are more money,, so are belts and weights and springs and helixes,, one gear change can most of the time solve the problem rather than spending hours upon hours tuning the clutches. Shoot man with just the price of belts alone should be enough to consider a gear change rather than trying to figure out what clutch or spring and helix change will work. Not saying that there is not room for improvement in the clutch side of the equation just saying that when adding more weight and traction consider a simple gear change..
i think you missed the bus on this one.. he was curious what comes in them, not should it be different.

almost all stockers run the same gearing for the mid and long track deals.. not ideal, but simplifies production..

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
UMMM

Did you not read the first sentence I wrote? I believe it reads something like this,,,,,,,, IT SHOULD THOUGH,, meaning that if these sleds come geared the same then they should be geared different.. Now I understand that putting different gear sets in is challenging,, for some of the highly skilled labor that has this task but I doubt the mt sleds come down the same line that the trail sleds are on... so,,, just sayin...

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
gears

i think you missed the bus on this one.. he was curious what comes in them, not should it be different.

almost all stockers run the same gearing for the mid and long track deals.. not ideal, but simplifies production..

Guess I don't receive the same posts as everyone else cause I didn't see any mention of what gears came in them.

dejadoo

Lifetime Membership
I am pretty sure that my 08 Summit XP 163 was geared lower than the shorter tracks from the factory.

Back when a 136 was the longest factory track, I always geared down when going to a 151.

What I am trying to decide is whether to order the 153 or the 162 since I am going to swap tracks anyway.
If the 162 was geared lower then that would be a + for going that way.
The base model with the 153 is $700 less and I get the color I want.

Last edited:

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Tough to say,, have you talked to any cat dealers? They might be able to find out from a rep.. Might be one of those wait and see things.

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
I had my 2010 TNytro geared UP when I went to a 174 from 162 - performed way better with the power the T Nytro has.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Did you not read the first sentence I wrote? I believe it reads something like this,,,,,,,, IT SHOULD THOUGH,, meaning that if these sleds come geared the same then they should be geared different.. Now I understand that putting different gear sets in is challenging,, for some of the highly skilled labor that has this task but I doubt the mt sleds come down the same line that the trail sleds are on... so,,, just sayin...

I did, and yes, they theoretically should be changed if a person was heading to a longer track, the fella was curious if they are so he could avoid buying something and imediately changing it.. but from what i have seen most mountain sleds are over geared from the factory, and going from 153 2.25 over geared up to 162x2.5 is gonna be WAY over geared..

and when i say mid length, i mean 153... a 144 is a shorty for who i ride with, so im betting both the 153's and 162's are using the same parts.... just like they did in they have been. should they be the same?? probably not, but thats how it is.

IMO, i would stick with the 162 sled already, then you dont have to drop more money on rails, tunnel extension... etc etc. that junk adds up fast. gearing is most likely gonna be the least $$ in the equation. and from looking at the sled already, there tunnels are rather short with a very angled flap, so going to a longer track is gonna stick out really far and be an annoyance when your stuck(trust me on that on, i got 1 like that) your always standing on the back of it trying to get it out.

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
I agree, why change your skid length, tunnel length etc etc when you could simply just change your gearing. Back2cat, I think you are approaching the idea of what you ultimately want from the wrong angle. If you have a thing for throwing money and time down the toilet or you just want to be able to say that you have a tunnel and rail extension, I would suggest that you do it the hard way as you have already planned. But if you have any sense at all you would buy a sled in the size you want and then worry about performance mods later. Doesn't make sense to plan structural changes to a brand new sled, especially before you even have the thing.

Just imagine yourself standing in the show room looking at a 153 and a 162 sled sitting beside each other and thinking to yourself, "ya know, if I bought that 153 and put a bunch of money and time into it, I could have myself the exact same sled as the one sitting right beside it". Am I making more sense to you now.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
I agree, why change your skid length, tunnel length etc etc when you could simply just change your gearing. Back2cat, I think you are approaching the idea of what you ultimately want from the wrong angle. If you have a thing for throwing money and time down the toilet or you just want to be able to say that you have a tunnel and rail extension, I would suggest that you do it the hard way as you have already planned. But if you have any sense at all you would buy a sled in the size you want and then worry about performance mods later. Doesn't make sense to plan structural changes to a brand new sled, especially before you even have the thing.

Just imagine yourself standing in the show room looking at a 153 and a 162 sled sitting beside each other and thinking to yourself, "ya know, if I bought that 153 and put a bunch of money and time into it, I could have myself the exact same sled as the one sitting right beside it". Am I making more sense to you now.

I agree but what Back2cat is saying is he wants all black and is going to change tracks anyway. so he can find some 162 rails and swap them out save $700 -rails / tunnel ext. he is spending the $ on the track anyway. if he wasn't gonna do that anyway might be different. just saying.

and KMMAC...I was joking around. I wasn't debating if they should have diff gears but was stating I didn't think they CAME with different gearing. This is actually one of the first questions I ever asked on here when i first joined. just saying.

And besides, I winked at the end. you shoulda known I was jokin. just saying. ;)

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
YA

I agree but what Back2cat is saying is he wants all black and is going to change tracks anyway. so he can find some 162 rails and swap them out save $700 -rails / tunnel ext. he is spending the $ on the track anyway. if he wasn't gonna do that anyway might be different. just saying.

and KMMAC...I was joking around. I wasn't debating if they should have diff gears but was stating I didn't think they CAME with different gearing. This is actually one of the first questions I ever asked on here when i first joined. just saying.

And besides, I winked at the end. you shoulda known I was jokin. just saying. ;)

YA,,,,,,,,,,, I KNOW,,,,,,,, Just a rider who hasn't been able too ride for far too long so all I get to do for now is ride in here.. It's all good

dejadoo

Lifetime Membership
YA,,,,,,,,,,, I KNOW,,,,,,,, Just a rider who hasn't been able too ride for far too long so all I get to do for now is ride in here.. It's all good

How long have you not been able to ride? I missed the whole season, 1st time since I started in 1974, broke my back and 4 ribs last December.
Being on Snowest just made it worse for me, but going to make up for it next year hopefully. Plan to buy two new sleds just for me to ride for next year, never did that before.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA

How long have you not been able to ride? I missed the whole season, 1st time since I started in 1974, broke my back and 4 ribs last December.
Being on Snowest just made it worse for me, but going to make up for it next year hopefully. Plan to buy two new sleds just for me to ride for next year, never did that before.

Did the splits riding up a ridge on Baker.. That was 99 didn't think it was as bad as it has gotten. Had to quit riding due to financial reasons by this time my hip had worsened from there work went great was planning on getting my hip fixed then we were swept up in this down turn so,,, no surgery no riding until something changes................. Can.t wait though!!!!!!!!!! Saw these proclimbs coming since 08......

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Is that when they arrive? Or will you be occupied until then? If it arrives earlier I could break it in for you!!!!

dejadoo

Lifetime Membership
Is that when they arrive? Or will you be occupied until then? If it arrives earlier I could break it in for you!!!!

It is complicated, I live in Indiana, buying the sled in Nebraska, storing and riding it in Colorado, after Christmas is my normal 1st trip.

Will take quite a bit of driving on your part to pick it up and ride it.

Premium Features