• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cat I hope your viewing!

M
Feb 27, 2010
Ha, all you Whistler guys love the horizontal steering. "You steer with your shoulders". Personally I don't like it cause we don't have sick glacier riding where I live, we have to ride a ton of trees and it's just not the correct body positioning.

we ride more trees then glacier.the ice cap is just one zone there are tons of tree zones.i ride more trees then anything else.the bad part about the vertical is they always bent if you do any jumping or just hit a hole.te adjustable is the worst.i just replaced one in the backcountry yesterday.i hav had to replace over 10 this year.the recall on the a-arms is a joke because i haven't seen any of these hav issues.they need to recall the post and replace it with a one peice unit....no weld or atleast counter sink the shaft more then a half inch into the lower.every customer that has had theres break wants the horizontal.most of them hav all coverted from skidoo so they know what its going to feellike and they know it works.

I
Dec 4, 2007
sweden
Get used to the horizontal steering post and you love it. I hated my nytro stering post at first but now i would never go back to the vertical one. Absolutely hate my buddys m8 stering post. So please Cat. Dont take the horizontal post of just because of this thread. Then i have to cancel my order.:face-icon-small-coo

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Get used to the horizontal steering post and you love it. I hated my nytro stering post at first but now i would never go back to the vertical one. Absolutely hate my buddys m8 stering post. So please Cat. Dont take the horizontal post of just because of this thread. Then i have to cancel my order.:face-icon-small-coo

Dear Arctic Cat,

Please put in a vertical steering post on the M1100T.

Thank you,
CO 2.0

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
the bad part about the vertical is they always bent if you do any jumping or just hit a hole.te adjustable is the worst.

The issue with the vertical isn't the fact that it's vertical, it's the fact that it is implemented without any consideration for impact. (IE, the panzies who design them assue WE'RE all panzies too..) It's very easy to make the vertical post strong, they just don't do it.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
The issue with the vertical isn't the fact that it's vertical, it's the fact that it is implemented without any consideration for impact. (IE, the panzies who design them assue WE'RE all panzies too..) It's very easy to make the vertical post strong, they just don't do it.

agreed, a good deal will set you up with a solid post that doesnt bend before it leaves his shop!... but hey i have been through 4 posts in the past 2 years... hahaha i will take the vertical any day of the week and twice on saturday.

Z

zsnowshredder

Nov 30, 2007
Mancos, CO

I agree with every word. The key is to have the steering post be in a straight line with the riser,(like the Nytro) then the bars don't arc when you turn them. :nod:

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I can just see the threads next year on which is best.

"I just can't decide which to run, vertical or horizontal"
"My sled spit me off and my friend told me to switch to verticle steering"
"My sled spit me off and my friend told me to switch to horizontal steering"
"Horizontal set-up for sale"
" Vertical set-up for sale"
LOL

I hope I can position my standard M bars for my style when i get it (might be as early as May for the 800's. Yeehaw! We'll probably get to ride in June this year).

My respected source told me to pick the standard steering after his test rides, but who knows. He's only been riding Cat's in the back country since he was 5 yrs old and has more than a few trophys.

My point is the option is there ( and i heard the 1100's will be 38" and i can swap out that too) so don't fret. You can decide and wait for some one to decide the other way. Options are always good. I wouldn't put a ring in my nose but some do lol.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
ROFL...forums...got to love them...

So, we cant agree on vert, or not...

can we agree and speak loudly as mountain riders, on the 38"?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Options are good, but I'd say that it would be a shame to NOT have the option of vertical steering. I just think it's really cool that we may be able to ride the same sled & choose what kind of steering we want, hard to bitch about that too much!

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
I can just see the threads next year on which is best.

"I just can't decide which to run, vertical or horizontal"
"My sled spit me off and my friend told me to switch to verticle steering"
"My sled spit me off and my friend told me to switch to horizontal steering"
"Horizontal set-up for sale"
" Vertical set-up for sale"
LOL

I hope I can position my standard M bars for my style when i get it (might be as early as May for the 800's. Yeehaw! We'll probably get to ride in June this year).

My respected source told me to pick the standard steering after his test rides, but who knows. He's only been riding Cat's in the back country since he was 5 yrs old and has more than a few trophys.

My point is the option is there ( and i heard the 1100's will be 38" and i can swap out that too) so don't fret. You can decide and wait for some one to decide the other way. Options are always good. I wouldn't put a ring in my nose but some do lol.

What are you getting in may?

ridgelinerunner

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2008
Cat I hope your viewing

We were told they are working on a kit to convert the 1100's to a vertical style, I hope they find ways during the summer to loose weight. I am still dumb founded on no demo's, I know there is a chance of people that don't know how to ride them crashing expensive demos, but that's what sells sleds. Alot of us know guys that were on the fence and have decided to get one of those Pro's. I just hope they all get spanked this coming season and then polaris looses big on there 2013's, but then I think we will have to deal with a new skidoo.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Why is it so hard to figure out why no demos??? They dont have any ready!! They were late building them , thats the way it is.

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
We were told they are working on a kit to convert the 1100's to a vertical style, I hope they find ways during the summer to loose weight. I am still dumb founded on no demo's, I know there is a chance of people that don't know how to ride them crashing expensive demos, but that's what sells sleds. Alot of us know guys that were on the fence and have decided to get one of those Pro's. I just hope they all get spanked this coming season and then polaris looses big on there 2013's, but then I think we will have to deal with a new skidoo.
You think Doo is going to make a mountain specific?

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Why is it so hard to figure out why no demos??? They dont have any ready!! They were late building them , thats the way it is.[/QUOTE

They may not have built them yet but thats by choice, I saw these sleds on the snow last june.

They were not ready, built but not ready for preproduction even. All handbuilt units......

Alot of calibration and testing needed to be done yet, and the sleds were not ready to produce for demo season.

I would rather wait for a sled that is worthy to be ridden, than rush some out the door so people can ride them only to say the suspension sucks, or this was not right, or that was not right. THE SLEDS WERE NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in time to make the demo season.......

That negative REP can come back to hurt you......

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Steering

This might sound a little "back yard" but would it be possible to use a beveled gear setup? I hear a lot about the lack of space to add the vert post as it is on the pcm8 so, with the limited space two beveled gears would not take up much room and is a tough design. You could put a rubber boot around the gears like a cv joint on front wheel drive cars Just curious......

Last edited:
H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I did my part today...$500 down on a 1,100 T LE

I'll put my fate in their hands. Please if you [Cat] engineers think we'll like the virt. steering, put it on my sled also the 38'' width. I don't want to spend money to get it to work. I spent a fortune getting my King Cat right. I just want to ride this time.

Owen

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
I'll put my fate in their hands. Please if you [Cat] engineers think we'll like the virt. steering, put it on my sled also the 38'' width. I don't want to spend money to get it to work. I spent a fortune getting my King Cat right. I just want to ride this time.

Owen
X 2.

Premium Features