• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to Turbo question

A
Aug 5, 2018
Idaho Falls
A question for you all... As you can tell from my post I am not very mechanically inclined. haha
So I just had our local dealer install the BD Sidekick on a 2017 Axyx 163. (very excited to ride btw)
My question is about the change in throttle response. No snow yet, but getting it in and out of the trailer for various reasons the sled seems quite hard to get going. Meaning RPMs seem to need to be quite a bit higher to get the sled moving. Kinda reminds me of the brake being on. Is this normal after a Sidekick is installed? Would the dealer have done something with the clutch that maybe I wasn't aware of?

Thanks in Advance!

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
Yes engagement rpm will have been changed.
Just guessing but it's probably now at 4100? Hopefully not higher. But sometimes turbo kit manufacturers go to 4500 rpm. Which gets really obnoxious.

Until the turbo starts to spool a bit, It's hindering power.
So they up the engagement to get past some of the bad area.

A
Aug 5, 2018
Idaho Falls
Yes engagement rpm will have been changed.
Just guessing but it's probably now at 4100? Hopefully not higher. But sometimes turbo kit manufacturers go to 4500 rpm. Which gets really obnoxious.

Until the turbo starts to spool a bit, It's hindering power.
So they up the engagement to get past some of the bad area.

Ok gotcha. Thats very interesting. Thanks for the response. Is that done thru the clutch?

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Ok gotcha. Thats very interesting. Thanks for the response. Is that done thru the clutch?

Not sure what spring BD is speccing these days but it has everything to do with the primary clutch spring.

Give it a try, if its not to your liking, drop your starting rate down some (buy a new spring).

I'd call BD if this is what you decide to do...

A
Aug 5, 2018
Idaho Falls
Not sure what spring BD is speccing these days but it has everything to do with the primary clutch spring.

Give it a try, if its not to your liking, drop your starting rate down some (buy a new spring).

I'd call BD if this is what you decide to do...

Cool. Thanks for that. Im sure it will be fine. Being new to it, i just thought maybe there was a problem. Good to know its normal.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
BD sends the "almond" primary spring with their kits. It's specs are 165-327.
So with that initial rate, your engagement will be higher than if you had the stock spring.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Cool. Thanks for that. Im sure it will be fine. Being new to it, i just thought maybe there was a problem. Good to know its normal.

I have a feeling there is no major problems. Just need to get used to the new go fast parts. Most turbo kit builders bump your clutch engagement from stock. Stock engagement is right about the transition period that boost is coming on. When the clutch engages in this transition period as it builds boost, it can create a bunch of tuning issues. Getting past that point creates a more easily tuned sled. End result for most is a crisper feeling sled.

Clutch engagement is affected by primary spring rate, clutch weights(amount of weight and profile)and elevation. Assuming you unloaded at home. As you go up in elevation the engagement will settle down.

A couple things you can check. Does your sled have a new belt??? You may want to check your secondary belt deflection. If you take your sled directly to BD, that is one of the first things they check. Second thing that is a simple check would be your belt to sheave clearance. If the weights altered your belt to sheave clearance it(it shouldn’t have) you may need to reshim. It maybe was off to start or your belt is wore. I will try to find some vids for you to better understand what I am talking about. Those are simple checks.

If I was you, I would leave the clutching as is. Everything you change has a given reaction. You have stated you are new to sleds. Stick to the basics. Plus then you are on their baseline. Second question BD will ask is do you have our supplied clutching installed.

Typically these kits are bolt up and smile. Could be the odd crazy thing like installer left rag stuffed somewhere. All kits are checked over and controllers tested before they leave. Odds are you just need to get used to the boost.

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
They recommended a team orange for my dragon.
165-310. It might stop some bogging at times.
But I prefer a SLP blue/yellow 140-310 much nicer for loading and other slow situations.

Maybe someone can post what the whole kit they install with a sidekick is.
Then we can suggest an alternative.

What is the engagement now? (When the track starts to turn)

Any mass produced 75 gr lighting weights yet?

Premium Features