• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Firecat 2004 700, Good sled for a begginner?

I
Dec 8, 2016
Colton
Hello everyone, recently saw a 2004 Arctic cat F7 700 EFI Sno-Pro upgraded that I could purchase for $1800 and wondered if it would be a good sled for going riding in the mountains? I don't know much about sleds, drove a 95' Polaris Indy XLT in some of our fields a few times but this sled looked pretty nice for a beginner sled, was just wondering if it would do alright in the mountains. The guy selling it says it has 4400 total miles and the top end was rebuilt 1300 miles ago. Supposedly the clutch is in good shape and the cylinders were compression tested at 124 psi. I asked about the track and he thought it was 138" which was one of my main concerns riding it in the mountains, I've heard that you want longer tracks if you get off the trails? I'm a pretty big guy (270 pounds) and was worried how it would perform in the mountains, obviously I wouldn't do anything too crazy my first few times up there. Looks like a nice sled to a novice like myself in the pictures though and I'm going to check it out in person here in the next few days...any thoughts?

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
The f7's are a trail sled so unless you want to ride the trails in the mountains I'd look for a M7-M8 with a 153 or 162 track!

I
Dec 8, 2016
Colton
I guess I forgot to ask if it would go off road at all and struggle or if it can't cut its own trails? I'm fine with something that is slow pulling out of something steep but if I'm likely to get stuck as soon as I drive off the main trails that's no good, basically would be practicing on it anyway this first year, could probably sell it next year and buy something bigger if I got good enough?

D
Oct 1, 2017
Some of my friends have an F7 and haven't heard any complaints from them. It is a reliable sled as long as you maintain it.

R
They do have a narrower track, 13 inches I do believe. They are quite hard to find if you have to replace, basically buy a full size and cut it down.
A 140hp sled is not really a beginners sled, definitely a rocket but for fields and ditches, banging ditches. That motor was very reliable, 5000miles easy.
I have two buddies that took theirs with us to Cooke City, they work in the mountains, if the snow is right, but not a mountain sled.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
We had a 2004 F7 Firecat that got around alright up to about 18" of fresh snow, but it was the "EXT" version. They came with a 144 track from the factory instead of the standard 128. They are a rocket for sure. I wouldn't have one unless it was the EXT for traversing the hills.

Premium Features