• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

440 Sport project

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
I have a 1970's Cushman Trackster that needs a new engine. The original OMC engines for these things was a horrible design and parts are almost completely unavailable.

I came across an air cooled Polaris 440 Sport at the junk yard that appears to have an intact engine and electrical system. I have access to a well equipped machine shop and will be making the tapered adapter shaft to go from the engine to the transmission setup in the Trackster. Problem is, the engine rotation is backwards.

So...what's involved in getting a 440 twin to run backwards as far as the ignition system goes? I won't be able to use the oil injection system unfortunately...or, I'd have to figure out how to run the transmission off the fan side of the engine...which has possibilities.

motorheadmike

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2009
Missoula, MT
You should be able to move the timing and pull start it backwards.
I used to mess around with my old dirt bike as a kid. 4 reverse and one forward. Good way to get laughs.
Mike

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
The oil pump should run backwards as well as forward. Round cam thing on the end of the pump shaft pushes the piston up and down so it would do the same thing in reverse. A 2-stroke doesn't really care which way the crank is spinning. The timing might be the trickiest part to play with. If you could hook up an electric starter to start it in the correct direction, that might make some things simpler.

Premium Features