• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Solutions for MtnHorse lust for more power...

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Rebels.

Q: Two snowboarders are in a car. Who’s driving?
A: The cops, of course.
Q: What’s the difference between a ski instructor and a bucket of chicken?
A: The bucket of chicken can feed a family of four.
Q: What does a snowboard have in common with a vacuum cleaner?
A: They’re both usually attached to dirtbags.
Q: How many ski instructors does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two. One to screw the bulb in, the other to stand there saying, “Nice turn, Nice turn.”
Q: How many snowboarders does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: It’s unknown. Never been done.
Or, better yet.
A: Two. One to hold the bulb and one to smoke enough pot to make the room spin.
Q: What do skiers use for birth control?
A: Their personalities.
And, one more for the road:
This guy walks into a bar and says “Hey, you guys wanna hear a snowboarder joke?” The bartender says, “I’m a snowboarder, the guy on your right is a snowboarder, same with the guy on your left, and the guy behind you is a snowboarder.” So the guy says, “OK. I’ll tell it a little more slowly then…”

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
Turbo CRF 450R Update

Turbo CRF #1 is 90% complete. Dyno'd at 79HP and 45 TQ.
Few pics of #1 and dyno sheet are attached. Building countershaft support and a few odds and ends then final A/F calibration on the drum and its done.

Turbo CRF #2 is 50% complete. Engine back together. Building exhaust and sequential waste gate setup. Dyno runs in the next few days.

photo 13.jpg photo 18g.jpg photo 27.jpg 8psi Turbo CRF 450R Hp&Torque.jpg

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Great job on Turbo #1. It looks like a factory job! What is the portability on the turbo kit you guys built? Meaning, could this be easily adapted to other bikes like WR's and KX's?

As the Mountain Horse gains popularity the need for custom bike turbos will expand. I wouldn't dream of having a turbo in the summer when my bike is on dirt (plenty of power as it is), but the snow is a totally different story. I want one!

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
KMS Performance is doing the custom installation. The installs aren't very portable, and we weren't trying to make them portable. In the future as snow biking grows I can see the the turbo kit guys like Boondocker making bolt on portable kits.

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
I'm not building them to sell. And not sure of total cost yet.
Kelly at KMS Performance is best guy to talk to about turbo cost.
I don't have a KX 500 with fuel injection, but wish I did.
I do have a CR 500 that is carbureted.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
I'm not building them to sell. And not sure of total cost yet.
Kelly at KMS Performance is best guy to talk to about turbo cost.
I don't have a KX 500 with fuel injection, but wish I did.
I do have a CR 500 that is carbureted.

You mean a CR 625. :face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-hap

IMG_0785.jpg

Sam

Last edited:

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
how does that cr compare to my 98 kx500. Does it vibrate like hell? I had so much jetting and carb icing last winter it really put a damper on things, but i love the 2 stroke.

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
SSWIM rollin' with the spy pics!!!!!

...cat, totally out of the bag..... now we need an update on the Power Addiction big bore.....

Nice job on the TCRF. Those guys have been doing turbos for a loooonnnnnnggggg time. Good choice on builders.

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
how does that cr compare to my 98 kx500. Does it vibrate like hell? I had so much jetting and carb icing last winter it really put a damper on things, but i love the 2 stroke.

I had carb icing issues early on the CR500 last season. Got it under control with carb heat probe, heat tape, foam/insulation around the carb, and a touch of alcohol in the fuel. For jetting, install a AFR Gage and a Dial-a-jet. Then you can jet it close and adjust on the fly. I love vibration, keeps the circulation in my hands and feet:face-icon-small-ton.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
I have heard of both of those but never tried one. I made a nice plastic case to enclose my carb and also put a coolant line to it to stop the freezing but now impossible to jet. Can you simply turn the dial on the move?

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
There is 10 of us that ride MH's together here in N Idaho. Most of us started on 2Moto's and during the learning curve we would run our batttery's flat until we all installed larger battery's.

What batterys can you recommend to upgrade with?

Rob

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
I have heard of both of those but never tried one. I made a nice plastic case to enclose my carb and also put a coolant line to it to stop the freezing but now impossible to jet. Can you simply turn the dial on the move?

Sometimes, depends on how "white knuckled" you are.... LOL, but seriously, I can reach down and adjust. I installed a bit leaner main than I would ever use, open up the power jet and hit it WFO. You can tell where it (the PJ) kicks in, it will nose over..... then I just start closing it off 1/4 of a turn at a time until she cleans up. Only take a minute. Once she is cleaned up on the big end, you are still roughly 3/4 - to a full turn from being "on the edge".
Heck, once she is dialed, the only time I have to mess with it is when I go on road trips to new areas/altitudes.

This is the best pic I can find, the adjuster is just above the fuel inlet on the carb and is very accessible even with dirt gloves on.

2544063880051373056S600x600Q85.jpg

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008

Thunder products makes both. They pretty much do the same thing, work the same way. I installed my intela jet up by my bars. Works great, just as 4V states above. http://www.thunderproducts.com/IntelaJet.htm

Premium Features