• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 KX 500 build

M
Jan 14, 2004
I'm running 14 16 on my cr500 and I'm sure it'll pull more gear, I just haven't tried it yet, I think your bike easily will as well it'll just make 1st pretty tall so more clutch work in the tight trees etc.

M5

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
What flavor yz and how fast are we talking?

It's the 16 FX. So it has a really tall fifth gear. I don't have a GPS so I'm not sure exactly how fast but it is a lot faster than my CR 500 was. I probably could've geared that bike up a little bit but, nothing near my yz.

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
So I struggled with this thing running warm. I think I finally got it figured out. Running engine ice. Removed thermostat, and took off Devol radiator gaurds. Finally running solid temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is your P3 pipe guard old stock? I looked on their web site and they don't list anything for Kawasaki. Great build. I plan on doing the same thing to my 03 KX500 minus the NOS. Anything you would have done differently or would have added? Is the lectron carb a must have vs. the stock carb?

thanks.

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
Is your P3 pipe guard old stock? I looked on their web site and they don't list anything for Kawasaki. Great build. I plan on doing the same thing to my 03 KX500 minus the NOS. Anything you would have done differently or would have added? Is the lectron carb a must have vs. the stock carb?

thanks.

Lectron a must. Bike runs excellent with it and gives you flexibility with temp and elevation.
P3 pipe guard is for a CR 500. Fits perfect.
Greasing 15 on bike. 18/16 timbersled chain case. Must have to take advantage of the extra snap of the 500,
Cooling will be an issue for you. I am still struggling a bit. From my experience a tunnel cooler is a must. I used a front cooler off a 95 to 98 ZR or EXT. fits nice.
Oh and a decompressor in the head. I thought I was tuff enough to handle it but all I am doing is running boots.
Good luck. Stick with it and work trough each issue and you will love it when you are done.

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
8ad97dace067db34c88ee89a9eebd2bb.jpg

Tunnel cooler did the trick. Keeps temps at almost constant 130. Just hope my hoses hold up to the vibration.

hwwee

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2016
Greasing 15 on bike. 18/16 timbersled chain case. Must have to take advantage of the extra snap of the 500,

Quick question! What is the 15 or is that 1-5? Im picking up some new gears this week and I am currently 13 tooth output sprocket on the bike to 16 on the timbersled sx kit and 17 to 17 in the chain case. I am going to go to the 18/16 in the chain case like you suggest should I be changing the the output sprocket and sx sprocket as well?!

Thanks for your help!

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
1207b174fed4af3c18258bfd2067de82.jpg

Went out for a dig this weekend and wrist pin came out and took out my cylinder. Very disappointing since it seemed like my cooling issues were under control. Hope I can get it back up and running to get to go for a dig out west.

G
Nov 15, 2015
Fargo
That's a bummer man. You should make a kicker add on like I did as well, makes kicking t a dream no more ruined boots, no sliding off, no hitting boot on the kit either.

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
Had a great ride this weekend. Bike is finally working like I imagined when I built it. Starts two kicks. Runs 130 degrees all day long no matter of conditions and has unreal power. 72 mph on the trail ride back to trailer. Could not be happier. It was worth all the problems. Think it will be a great bike for years to come.

G
Nov 15, 2015
Fargo
Had a great ride this weekend. Bike is finally working like I imagined when I built it. Starts two kicks. Runs 130 degrees all day long no matter of conditions and has unreal power. 72 mph on the trail ride back to trailer. Could not be happier. It was worth all the problems. Think it will be a great bike for years to come.

This is something not really talked about on here. The big 500 2 strokes, when you get them ironed out anyway which can be a bit of a chore, are unreal. Yeah its a bit of work but the low initial investment, VERY low maint costs over time, and nothing compares power wise are huge selling points. I love my 500s and don't know if I could go to a 450-500 4 stroke. With Redline motorcycles making a EFI panthera 500 it is a short time coming until I have my electric start/efi 500 2 stroke and it should last for YEARS

Glad to see you got it geared up enough to work, one big thing is people don't load these motors enough

Premium Features