• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trygstad 872 ETEC review

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Ride report. Man I have been busy, riding a lot and working a lot so I haven't been on here much. So I have a couple T3s as I said and a ProLite 900 cat. The Cat has a belt drive and a 174" 3" track. The HUGE difference I have seen is the Trygstad engines just run perfect every single ride. I have had nothing but problems with the Cat. I just can't get it to run well all the time. Current issues are it runs like crap from 4500-6500. It always cleans our and pulsl to top RPM when you pin it but its just been a series of issues. It just hates running part throttle down the trail and the throttle response is not good. I love the chassis and how well itll pull my big *** out of a ravine or hole but I would trade if off for another t3 with a TRygstand engine. My 872 engines run perfect. just like a stocker but with more power everywhere. They also seem to run super efficient and dont burn much if any more gas. The two engines/sleds i sold to my buddies also work perfect. One I sold to a buddy who is REALLY hard on stuff. I swear he can break anything and his has run perfect and is on it's third season. My other buddy had to ride some stockers for new guys last weekend as it was really deep and wet and he said REALLY noticed the dif in the hard conditions. Said he really didn't enjoy it and missed the power and how playful it makes an XM T3. Im running Roosterbuilt clutches and I am super happy with them too. 2 other riding partners are riding turbos and they are just always having issues. In the 3000-7000' elevations we ride in Washington I think the Trystad 872 is a WAY better choice especially for tree riding. I do ride some in WY and at 8000-11,000' the turbos have an advantage but my 872 still makes good power, much more than a stocker.

M
Jan 18, 2016
Ride report. Man I have been busy, riding a lot and working a lot so I haven't been on here much. So I have a couple T3s as I said and a ProLite 900 cat. The Cat has a belt drive and a 174" 3" track. The HUGE difference I have seen is the Trygstad engines just run perfect every single ride. I have had nothing but problems with the Cat. I just can't get it to run well all the time. Current issues are it runs like crap from 4500-6500. It always cleans our and pulsl to top RPM when you pin it but its just been a series of issues. It just hates running part throttle down the trail and the throttle response is not good. I love the chassis and how well itll pull my big *** out of a ravine or hole but I would trade if off for another t3 with a TRygstand engine. My 872 engines run perfect. just like a stocker but with more power everywhere. They also seem to run super efficient and dont burn much if any more gas. The two engines/sleds i sold to my buddies also work perfect. One I sold to a buddy who is REALLY hard on stuff. I swear he can break anything and his has run perfect and is on it's third season. My other buddy had to ride some stockers for new guys last weekend as it was really deep and wet and he said REALLY noticed the dif in the hard conditions. Said he really didn't enjoy it and missed the power and how playful it makes an XM T3. Im running Roosterbuilt clutches and I am super happy with them too. 2 other riding partners are riding turbos and they are just always having issues. In the 3000-7000' elevations we ride in Washington I think the Trystad 872 is a WAY better choice especially for tree riding. I do ride some in WY and at 8000-11,000' the turbos have an advantage but my 872 still makes good power, much more than a stocker.

I have a pro lite 900 and 940 now. They have endless power. I've out climb many turbos with them. Have you tried unhooking your tether cord or changing your pipe sensor? Those are two common problems on those. Also bikeman has a new map that's been working really well. One other thing I would check is that your hood is on right. If those bottom two screws are not in it can suck in snow.
I would have to agree with you on the summits in the trees. The steering and handling is way better than the cats. But if want to make a climb I'll much rather be on my cats.

H

Hiterhard

Oct 13, 2008
Northern WY
I agree with you. I own a 872 Trygstad and I've had two clutch kits in it. Rooster built and now I have daves kit in it. I can't get it to run better than my stock etec. I've had it look at by multiple people and no one can find anything wrong. It pulls its rpms and holds it right at 7900-8000. Engine runs great just pulls like a stock 800. We rode with two guys last year and one this year with 872 that all said the same thing. They run a little better than stock but it's hard to tell. Not worth the money! My buddy has a stock etec same sleds/tracks and he climbs everywhere I do with the same track speed and will beat me in a race down a trail. I've talk to Dave multiple times and he's the farthest thing from a stand up guy. Won't do anything for me or anyone else with the same problem. His 872 was the biggest waste of money I have ever spent. Go with a y pipe you will get more power out of it and won't have to spend $3500 on a 872 install and clutch kit.

Yup! Saw the same thing. It took me a long time to find the right clutch setup for where I ride (8,0000-11,000ft) and how I wanted the sled to feel. I found that with Daves recommendations it did not work much better than stock for me. It also built a lot of clutch heat.

IMO heat is inefficient and not getting the power that the 872 makes down to the track. It's a fine line, but you should be able to change your clickers with your bare hands. If you can't, your wasting horses power.

Once you get it right, you'll love the 872. Decent power bump, and still as reliable at the stock motor. But with that said I wish I would have spent 3,000 bucks on the suspension and worked on getting the stock power down to the track better. In a perfect world I could afford both!!

I PM'd you, if you still have the sled I've got something you can try before you jump ship.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
What do you guys think you picked up in track speed? 872 vs good running stock sled,same track length. Thanks

lancelarue

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Valdez, Alaska
872 Trygstad / etec

Lot's of good info here on the forums related to this subject.
I have some questions as my son is looking at these 872's.
He has a 2014 XM.
We're in Alaska.

What do you run for a pipe with the 872 at these elevations?
If you're running stock pipe at higher elevations, what are us lower elevation folks supposed to run for a pipe?

What do you see for pipe pressure here in Alaska, 872 & stock pipe?

What's the best aftermarket pipe & can to work with a 872 at these lower elevations?

Here in this big air, 872 making big torque / hp, with good pipe matched to build, will the etec flow enough fuel to make it all work?

All this of course at same pipe pressures as stock etec = 3#'s.

If a person was to run a good pipe to flow what the motor needs, here in big air, how do you deal with the fueling?
Also, I forgot:
Kids are saying how much hp 872 makes.
Exactly how much more hp than stock does the 872 do, in big air?

Thanks for any info, it's always good to see good results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007

What do you guys think you picked up in track speed? 872 vs good running stock sled,same track length. Thanks
It will pull 6-7 mph more than stock sled same track. Doesn't sound like much but it's huge.
Pm me if u want a clutch set up that works

wileybird

Premium Member
Feb 20, 2011
Anybody ever try 433 ramps in there 872? I'm gonna try some this weekend.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
this is a copy/paste from a comment of mine on the 1st page

**872 with rooster clutching, 20T top gear, stock 163x2.5 track was seeing 47-48 mph track speed

**stock 800 with DJ mountain ramps and primary spring (secondary is stock), 7T drivers ,163x3 track, 21T top gear, about 75lb heavier rider.......i saw 40-41 mph speeds on the same hill. now, since i have 7T drivers on my 2014 sled that originally had 8T drivers, that throws my speedometer off. i was told the magic number is +8% high. (41mph x .92 = 38 corrected mph) so to sum it up.....same hill, same day....

872 - (still in "break-in" if that matters) / rooster clutching / 2.5'' stock track - 48mph
800 - DJ clutching / 3" camoplast X3 track / 50-75lb heavier rider - 38mph (corrected 8% for smaller drivers)

Last edited:
H

Hiterhard

Oct 13, 2008
Northern WY
this is a copy/paste from a comment of mine on the 1st page

**872 with rooster clutching, 20T top gear, stock 163x2.5 track was seeing 47-48 mph track speed

**stock 800 with DJ mountain ramps and primary spring (secondary is stock), 7T drivers ,163x3 track, 21T top gear, about 75lb heavier rider.......i saw 40-41 mph speeds on the same hill. now, since i have 7T drivers on my 2014 sled that originally had 8T drivers, that throws my speedometer off. i was told the magic number is +8% high. (41mph x .92 = 38 corrected mph) so to sum it up.....same hill, same day....

872 - (still in "break-in" if that matters) / rooster clutching / 2.5'' stock track - 48mph
800 - DJ clutching / 3" camoplast X3 track / 50-75lb heavier rider - 38mph (corrected 8% for smaller drivers)

What elevation? 10mph higher track speed seems inflated to me. But might be possible at a lower elevation. I'm seeing about 42-44mph track speed. 5-6 over stock. And a rocket outta the hole!!!

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
What elevation? 10mph higher track speed seems inflated to me. But might be possible at a lower elevation. I'm seeing about 42-44mph track speed. 5-6 over stock. And a rocket outta the hole!!!

we were hill shooting on the northern side of daisy pass by cooke city. i believe it is between 9 and 10000 feet there. snow was average with 6-8'' of fresh powder and not tracked up. im not inflating anything. i dont even own the 872. i was just riding my stock 800 along with my buddy that has an 872 and i was curious about the gains.

also remember the variables. my 3'' track on the 800, my extra 75 lb fat azz vs his stock 2.5 track and slim, girlish figure :face-icon-small-ton. he also is geared a little higher with the 20t top sprocket. my gearing along with the smaller drivers puts me at a near stock gear ratio. alot of guys like to gear up because the xm's are geared pretty low out of the box. but i figured with my extra weight and 3'' track, i could probably use a little lower gearing compared to the guys that are a little lighter on the scale

Last edited:
S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Raced my 872 w/ 155 poo track against my buds 880 w/ 3" 163. Both carbed. 8000' about 2.5' of fluff, no base. Started right at the base of hill. I was 51 mph on 872, 880 was seeing little over 45. I jumped him and then he blew past me at mid hill. We're roughly the same weight. Track lug height really effects mph, but the opposite happens quite often w/ ground speed. Look at the new axys numbers being posted, very low, but they seem to perform in the deep snow.

Wileybird, 433 work well, just make sure you get a low enough finish on primary spring or be prepared to add a lot of weight. It'll feel like to goes really flat otherwise. 260 or 290 finish work well. Either 135 or 160 start depending on what you prefer for engagement.

wileybird

Premium Member
Feb 20, 2011
Raced my 872 w/ 155 poo track against my buds 880 w/ 3" 163. Both carbed. 8000' about 2.5' of fluff, no base. Started right at the base of hill. I was 51 mph on 872, 880 was seeing little over 45. I jumped him and then he blew past me at mid hill. We're roughly the same weight. Track lug height really effects mph, but the opposite happens quite often w/ ground speed. Look at the new axys numbers being posted, very low, but they seem to perform in the deep snow.

Wileybird, 433 work well, just make sure you get a low enough finish on primary spring or be prepared to add a lot of weight. It'll feel like to goes really flat otherwise. 260 or 290 finish work well. Either 135 or 160 start depending on what you prefer for engagement.

I think I met you and the gentleman with the 880 at the wolf inn in west yellowstone at the snow show about two years ago? I recall one of you was a trails west dealer? I put 20 grams in for pin weight and have a 130/320 primary spring. 44/40 helix? Gonna try Saturday n see what it does in big horns

Premium Features