• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trygstad 872 vs. Turbo

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
As said I am running two XM 872s that my boys ride. They are so smooth and crisp that they deceive you a little with the power they make. Here are a couple of examples. My son broke his collar bone clean thru about 8 weeks ago and hasn't ridden his sled much so it is still in break in mode. They make a little less power in break in. I had my other boy ride his sled last weekend and it caught him on a steep climb in dense wet snow and wheelied over on him. Just a quick stab of full throttle in good traction and it went right over with a 230lb rider. I ride a 900 Pro Lite which before this weekend I swore had more beans than the 872s. Its loud and rorty, hits really hard in the middle and has dragged my big butt up some pretty treacherous steep climbs. We drag raced the two of them on a small lake. The 872 was a sled to a sled and a half ahead at 250-300 feet. The 872 has a belt drive and stock track, the 900 has a 3" X3 track and belt drive. Clutching on the 872 is really close(Roosterbuilt) and the ProLite needs a little more clutch tuning but it's getting max rpm, just not as hard in the middle as it should be. We swapped out 4 different riders and the 872 won every single time even when the ProLite was ridden by a guy who weighs 50lbs less. Never would have believed it if I hadn't been there myself.

J
Oct 19, 2008
how much pin weight u running in your primary I pulled all my pin weight out-sled pulls like a freight train on bottom and mid but seems to lose a little on top on the long pulls

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
how much pin weight u running in your primary I pulled all my pin weight out-sled pulls like a freight train on bottom and mid but seems to lose a little on top on the long pulls
Need more info what track,gearing,helix,springs and ramps.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
18.3 grams in that sled. Roosterbuilt big bore clutch kit.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
drag racing a 2.5" vs a 3"

and the 3" loss every time- HMMM- hard to believe.
Real comparison would of been -racing up hill.

Last edited:

Backcountrypro

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Well I have had both a big bore Xp and a Turbo Etec. I don't know why everyone says a turbo takes more tuning, I have done way less tuning on my Turbo Performance Etec than I ever did on my 860. Power even at 6 lbs isn't even close between the two. Be warned though, a turbo is like meth, you start out at 6 lbs thinking life is great but after a few rides you crave more and the boost controller is set to 10 lbs of boost. A turbo Etec at 10 lbs of boost is a beast! My Turbo Performance Etec is better on fuel than my 860 too.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
av8er not sure where you are coming with on that but we were racing in a foot of loose wet snow on top of 4-5 feet of warmed over ruined pow. I would have figured the 3" was a definite advantage. Not like it was a race on a hard packed trail. Dont worry we will be doing a lot more comparison now that my Cat has been beaten badly.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Well I have had both a big bore Xp and a Turbo Etec. I don't know why everyone says a turbo takes more tuning, I have done way less tuning on my Turbo Performance Etec than I ever did on my 860. Power even at 6 lbs isn't even close between the two. Be warned though, a turbo is like meth, you start out at 6 lbs thinking life is great but after a few rides you crave more and the boost controller is set to 10 lbs of boost. A turbo Etec at 10 lbs of boost is a beast! My Turbo Performance Etec is better on fuel than my 860 too.

A 860 whats that:face-icon-small-sho Lol j/k

B
Jan 19, 2013
xp

So much for the tryg big bore, my skidoo trailer queen just thru a skirt thru the crank case, She is junk top to bottom guess ill have to keep riding my turbo pro the rest of the season. Logged 1750 boosted miles of smiles. Just put on 600 miles in Idaho backcountry ran into about 10+ boosted polaris sleds, I was looking for a skidoo turbo looked high and low non not one. They are few and far between I have already R&D enough with my wallet, ill stick with tried and tru boost for now. Can't see going back to a bb i'd be like riding a short track in pow pow, now I can see if your trying to have one sled setup for elev and sea level riding that is a solid choice, just don't go blabbing that a bb will run with a boosted sled at 10000 feet it makes you look "well you know". Just the stright up truth here guys.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
So much for the tryg big bore, my skidoo trailer queen just thru a skirt thru the crank case, She is junk top to bottom guess ill have to keep riding my turbo pro the rest of the season. Logged 1750 boosted miles of smiles. Just put on 600 miles in Idaho backcountry ran into about 10+ boosted polaris sleds, I was looking for a skidoo turbo looked high and low non not one. They are few and far between I have already R&D enough with my wallet, ill stick with tried and tru boost for now. Can't see going back to a bb i'd be like riding a short track in pow pow, now I can see if your trying to have one sled setup for elev and sea level riding that is a solid choice, just don't go blabbing that a bb will run with a boosted sled at 10000 feet it makes you look "well you know". Just the stright up truth here guys.

You speak the truth. Some can't handle the truth. :face-icon-small-win

J

Jimmy

Nov 27, 2007
Chiba, Colorado

Correct me if I am wrong but, you had a 860 and not a 872 correct? As far as what one is better then the other. It depends on expectations, turbo's do not have the low end snap of a good big block and BB do not have the top end of a Turbo. Two different worlds decide which one fits you best and then decide what world you want to play in. Both have it's own benefits.

M
Apr 19, 2010
how long have you had the tygstad bb

B
Jan 19, 2013
xp

Correct its an 860 kit, or should I say was an 860 its now a pile of garbage, but that ain't what this is about, all sleds are time bombs hell i'v lost count on the amount of carnage over the years. What this is about is your fun factor and riding pref I like to make big pulls and tight spot climbs in bottomless powder and tree ride when there is no fresh, and at 10000 feet where this all takes place the turbo is the ticket, the hp numbers of a nats azz sled at that elev bb included are = to a modded moped. As stated however a bb is a solid all around sled but I got bored riding at elevation really fast hence the need for boost. When I deceded to go boost I moved to the pro, its just hard to see sometimes with that brown paper bag over my helmet. :tsk:

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Correct its an 860 kit, or should I say was an 860 its now a pile of garbage, but that ain't what this is about, all sleds are time bombs hell i'v lost count on the amount of carnage over the years. What this is about is your fun factor and riding pref I like to make big pulls and tight spot climbs in bottomless powder and tree ride when there is no fresh, and at 10000 feet where this all takes place the turbo is the ticket, the hp numbers of a nats azz sled at that elev bb included are = to a modded moped. As stated however a bb is a solid all around sled but I got bored riding at elevation really fast hence the need for boost. When I deceded to go boost I moved to the pro, its just hard to see sometimes with that brown paper bag over my helmet. :tsk:
I said it before and i'll say it again Poo and Cat are more friendly to Boost than Doo :face-icon-small-blu So if we are talking BB 872 Doo vs Turbo Doo It's BB all the way my Buddy highvoltagesledhead played that game.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I have only seen one really spot on ETEC turbo and that was a Boonedocker. I know a couple guys out in ID running Boonedocker setups and they say they run great too but haven't ridden with them this year to see it. I have seen at least 4 ETEC turbos with issues myself. Local dealer tried to become an Aerocharger dealer and in 3 years that kit has NEVER run right. I mainly ride 3000-7000 and for me the BBs have been trouble free and make tons of power. I make a few trips to WY each year and ride up to 10,000 there(mainly 8000-9500) and I have been satisfied with the BB power. If I rode there all the time I would probably run at least one turbo 2 stroke sled. It does take a lot more skill and strength to run a turbo in the tight stuff though. A lot of guys I see riding turbos aren't riding in the trees they are riding between the trees. Big difference.

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
I want to comment now that ive had both. the bb made me change clickers down 2 numbers and a bit more power. hard to tell the difference. my turbo xp charge cooled at 6psi on 2871 garret is a whole other world for power. im a mechanic and don't mind maintaining an additional system, which would become an issue quick for some there is no doubt. u can not even touch a fraction of the power a turbo 2 stroke can make with 72cc and porting. anyone who has rode my sled has been completely blown away at the power difference. there simply is NO comparison for power. as far as reliability, tuning, etc, that's totally in the hands of the mechanic. 6-9500 elevation

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
There is no comparison. If you dont know which one you want, you need to decide what kind of riding you are going to do, how much money you want to spend, how good of a tuner you are and where you are getting the product from. All of these points will be key in the success of a good running turbo. I got into the t-xp game 4-5 yrs ago when carbed turbos were becoming mainstream and experimental at best. Some guys have it nailed, my project was a money pot, and I worked with some pretty knowledgable and reputable turbo guys on this site. A lot of them work, a lot of them dont, and the guys with the FLAWLESS (they dont exist) doo carbed turbos are either sh!thouse lucky, damn good tuners or bullsh!tting. After 2.5 yrs of buying parts, wasting time and money and not riding, I gave up. I went BB because I like to tinker, I like to tune and I like the xtra HP and pull and go. If you dont know what you want, then ride a stock machine and let the dealer take care of your issues.

Premium Features