• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can we get a update from Bret Rasmussen Please

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Interesting that the intro talks up Bret and the XM yet they show, if your lucky 20 seconds of him riding the XM. Lot more screen time for the Pro then the XM and Cat combined. Hope the full video isn't as short on screen time as the teaser video is for the XM and Cat.

I don't know why it wouldn't be....the majority of the more entertaining riders, with the most amount of footage, are on Pro's. For better or worse, that's the way it is right now. I'm sure the Burandt crew has more hours of riding on film than anyone, just because they ride so much. What is having more or less footage of any specific sled going to accomplish?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I have a couple questions:
1) Does anyone who owns an XM NOT have a sheet-ton of fun when they ride it?
2) When having said fun, does anyone else's opinion matter, pro rider or not?

After owning and riding both the 2013 Pro and 2013 XM, I can say for certain that 90% of the riders out there cannot use the Pro to it's ful potential, and that the XM WILL take that 90% of riders to their full potential.

2014 Freeride 146 and Summit X 154 on the way, where the hell am I gonna come up with the cash? :)

manlye

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2009
I'd like some advice for us big guys 6'2" 220lb my set up and riding is not the same as Bret or Chris but it would be interesting if they have any tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I'd like some advice for us big guys 6'2" 220lb my set up and riding is not the same as Bret or Chris but it would be interesting if they have any tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't lower the bars...lol. :face-icon-small-dis ...consider raising them 1-2", personal preference.
Move the rear scissor mount back 3/4" (common to slide rail) and see if that works better for your riding style. Its free and easy and makes a significant difference in how the sled travels in the deep. Some guys like it, some may not.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I have a couple questions:
1) Does anyone who owns an XM NOT have a sheet-ton of fun when they ride it?
2) When having said fun, does anyone else's opinion matter, pro rider or not?

After owning and riding both the 2013 Pro and 2013 XM, I can say for certain that 90% of the riders out there cannot use the Pro to it's ful potential, and that the XM WILL take that 90% of riders to their full potential.

2014 Freeride 146 and Summit X 154 on the way, where the hell am I gonna come up with the cash? :)

I agree 100% with your statement! Bang on!

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Don't lower the bars...lol. :face-icon-small-dis ...consider raising them 1-2", personal preference.
Move the rear scissor mount back 3/4" (common to slide rail) and see if that works better for your riding style. Its free and easy and makes a significant difference in how the sled travels in the deep. Some guys like it, some may not.

WinterBrew is super knowledgable, he can tell u more stuff technically than I and the biggest thing is being comfortable, the more comfortable u are the easier everything will be, then play with different things like winter brew has explained.

Last edited:

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Underwhelmed

And once again I am underwhelmed by the small amount of Doo footage in the new Schooled 5 teaser. I'm really not saying this to bash on Bret or to bash on Doo. Every part of me inside is hoping this XM is the shiznit because I really don't want to buy a Polaris (aka ticking time bomb) this year. Certainly I'll demo one before I buy it, and that will be the biggest factor, but I'm just still stunned by the lack of real good advertising that this video creates for Ski-Doo. How old is Bret? Could it be that the younger Burandt has really just become in the last few years that much better at riding than him?

B
Nov 26, 2007
I don't know why it wouldn't be....the majority of the more entertaining riders, with the most amount of footage, are on Pro's. For better or worse, that's the way it is right now. I'm sure the Burandt crew has more hours of riding on film than anyone, just because they ride so much. What is having more or less footage of any specific sled going to accomplish?

Seems contradictory to do a write up on how great Bret is with the XM and little screen time. I don't have a degree in marketing, so no worries maybe I'm missing something.

"For 2013 Rasmussen took his game to a whole new level on his new Boondocker-equipped XM. Want to learn to ride your Ski-Doo Rasmussen Style? We’ve got you covered."..............O by the way,the majority of our footage is of other riders on other brand name sleds.

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
And once again I am underwhelmed by the small amount of Doo footage in the new Schooled 5 teaser. I'm really not saying this to bash on Bret or to bash on Doo. Every part of me inside is hoping this XM is the shiznit because I really don't want to buy a Polaris (aka ticking time bomb) this year. Certainly I'll demo one before I buy it, and that will be the biggest factor, but I'm just still stunned by the lack of real good advertising that this video creates for Ski-Doo. How old is Bret? Could it be that the younger Burandt has really just become in the last few years that much better at riding than him?

The xm is a really fun sled movie or no movie, and that's from a Polaris owner. I still prefer the pol (and my 11 has be stone cold reliable with 3 mountain-only seasons), but I would happily ride the xm if Polaris fell off the earth, or if I had the amount of problems that prompted my last switch from doo to pol.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
A 2011 etec broke trail and went back down the mountain to find him and retrieve him another cat belt for his Rasmussen set up cat in 2012. He commented the doo had a rack that wouldn't quit. He was then told it was for hauling cat parts. Him and tony both clammed up. :face-icon-small-hap

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Thanks

JayNelson,
Thanks much for the review. Reviews like that are exactly why I am even giving the XM a chance after riding a 2012 XP for a day in 2012 and HATING IT. It seems like everybody who rides the XM is really loving it, even people like myself who loved the M chassis and the Pro chassis. I guess more than anything, I am just surprised that we're not starting to see more professionals riding it in videos with it being so great. Time will tell. Maybe now that word is out this year that it is great, more guys will pick them up this fall and we will see them in more videos next summer. It is only it's second year, and I think that most people were like myself in originally thinking that Doo put a couple band-aids on a bad handling XP and were surprised to suddenly hear after the first year that people were really liking the handling.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

Everyone talks about higher & lower as if riders are some cookie cutter size... it's ALL relative to the rider. IF you're riding with your back hunched over, having to crook your neck to look up, you're going to suck & you're going to hate it. If you're riding with your arms in the position you have them in on a dirtbike or DH bike, you're GOING to suck, though you may THINK that it's comfortable & that you're doing fine.

Riding with them at the RIGHT height (might be raising, might be lowering) so that when you roll your body into a turn, you pull on the outside bar... THAT, whatever height that is, will help you be a better rider. Having the bars at your chest is a fail, but doo guys seem to think it makes them cool:face-icon-small-dis

You can survive with just about anything, and you CAN THINK it's helping you, but once you ride a properly set up sled for a few hours, you'll become a better rider quicker. People need to stop talking about "lower" or "higher" and talk about RIGHT FOR YOU.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Exactly. I find it absolutely crazy when I jump back and forth between a Pro and an XM on the dealership floor. I am 5'9" with torn up ankles from motocross.
XM feels like complete comfort, Pro feels like getting on something I have never ridden before. XM fits, Pro didn't, even after I messed with the bar height and everything else on it. I sold my XM with the settings it came with out of the box, didn't touch a thing and loved it.

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
Words are words, read people's actions. I found it very interesting that the new cat came out, and Bret said it was great. Like what else would he say...right? However, if you watch the course of that next winter, how much footage was he putting out that was actually SHOWING you how great the sled was? Next to none. Burandt was putting out something new on Youtube every week because he was doing something great every week on the Pro. Bret was stuck in the shop trying to get his kitty to run right all winter.

On that same note, and maybe to the point of the original poster, Bret had a full winter on that Doo last year, and I still haven't seen much footage of him on it SHOWING me how great the new Doo is. I am very interested in the new XM chassis and might consider getting one next year, but certainly, it would help that decision if their #1 sponsored rider was so enthusiastic about the new sled that he was constantly sharing and showing off how awesome the sled is. Isn't that kind of the point of being a sponsored rider?

Have not been on here in awhile but finally figured why Bret wasn't talking, he broke his plastic on his xm sled and it is still on back order like mine is since april (well actually got some of it 3 weeks ago just waiting on 2 more major pieces now) the sled is 1st year run and way too popular and 14's using same plastic so order your plastic early if you plan on taking on any trees this comming season with your xm.
So tell me if i am wrong Bret, lol.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I've talked to Bret in person about the XM. He was very straight forward with his comments. If you are looking for him to trash his paycheck its not going to happen but he was very honest about the things he didn't like about the XM. Boards and springs were at the top of his list. His style Airframes are a big upgrades. They are a little narrower, have WAY better traction and have a step over bar. The stock springs are also WAY too soft, even for him. Watch a guy sidehilling in rough terrain on an XM and you will see the uphill ski just pistoning up and down. After 5-6 rides it gets even softer. Put a harder spring or spring/shock combo and the ski will just knife through rough terrain. The rear suspension will also sag out really bad after a few rides. He recommends setting the bars so that standing in a neutral position with your knees bent a little the bars sit right at your hands with your elbows slightly cracked. The stock bar height works great for me and I'm 6'4". Bret is very engineery and a great rider, he is going to be awesome for Doo riders.

U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA
well said!!! I Know he does his homework I rode his sled in March was funny he had 2 different running boards on it different Bars different shocks different springs and a different post and a different seat! And I saw him do some sick stuff on his sled. I spent 4 days trying to get a picture of him stuck just did not happen even when you were sure he was done in a tree hole on a cliff with rocks a wall a 8 foot hole a log just did not happen but what was amazing about it was he always did it with finesse never with full throttle.

Premium Features