• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro vs. XM

snow4shover

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Belgrade, Mt
Weight is going to be about the same on both sleds. Once you weigh them full of all fluids they will be about the same weight. We weighed a Pro last year full of everything was 552lbs. It was actually the 3rd for lightest and the 2 that were lighter were both skidoos.

I think skidoo may have the upper hand with the track and power. I am little worried about the suspension.....but if i was riding a pro i would be really worried about the belt drive. Also remember that if you break the belt you have no brakes. I have broken many chains in the past and it is a scary feeling going backwards down a hill.

I rode an XM and if i could afford a new sled that would be my choice. I just couldn't get the sled stuck.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Weight is going to be about the same on both sleds. Once you weigh them full of all fluids they will be about the same weight. We weighed a Pro last year full of everything was 552lbs. It was actually the 3rd for lightest and the 2 that were lighter were both skidoos.

I think skidoo may have the upper hand with the track and power. I am little worried about the suspension.....but if i was riding a pro i would be really worried about the belt drive. Also remember that if you break the belt you have no brakes. I have broken many chains in the past and it is a scary feeling going backwards down a hill.

I rode an XM and if i could afford a new sled that would be my choice. I just couldn't get the sled stuck.
yeah..but the one you weighed wasnt a pro was it? thought it was a standard rmk with e start? 2013 pro on the scales is showiing 438 pds no fuel...or 507 pds ready to ride.......the pro is lighter by about 50 pds on average then the doo or the cat...

heres the thread from carls where they weighed all 3 12 sleds and a 13 pro..all without any fuel..but all other fluids full..http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304743

Last edited:

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO

I think the polaris will still be lighter no doubt about it as Aksnow said.

But with skidoo the engine is solid, and the clutching isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. Not only that, but you are correct with the improved track and suspension. The only worry about the sled is if the suspension can hold up to jumping and such. But I don't think there is any reason to be worried about the belt drive. Those things are solid, and even if they break how hard is it to bring a spare and swap it out? I think the only problem with the poo is the motor being a little under powered and unreliable at times.

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
I love the crispyness and snap of the etec engine! I got some seat time on a 12 etec and a couple 12 pro rmks, of course coming from a doo I am biased lol I found both too be easy too throw around but the power of the doo sold me. Too bad the dealer here stinks, atleast the polaris dealers throw things in on the machine and give you discounts.
Pick your poison.

snow4shover

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Belgrade, Mt
The sled I weighed was a Pro. We have a weighing party every year using a ridiculously expensive digital scale and crane. We will not weight any sled unless ALL fluids are topped off.

This year to help with the madness of everyone just trying to calculate the wet weigh of their sled off the dry weight the manufacture says I will be post a video of every new sled that we weigh.

A
Dec 19, 2011
The xm and pro are both great sleds.

I think the xm is leaning (hah get it leaning?) towards just straight up gimmicks and pixie dust.

The pro is the best stock mountain machine, if you think you need an ankle bone built into the skid to sidehill.... wow.

The xm is a bedazzled xp with a new skid and track. And the xp was a great machine anyways, take a stock xp with s36 do some clutch work and a c3 post forward kit and it will go anywhere.

Im a huge xp fan, they have becomes the 350 small block of sleds, there's nothing you cant do or turn it into, Take alot more then that the xm offers for me to buy one. If i could id go 2013 assault 155 and turbo!

My vote goes to pro, no gimmicks, just the good stuff mountain guys need
(shut up about the bumpy trail ride) great rear skid for stock, belt drive, great engine, weighs nothing ergos rock, great running boards etc

does it look like burandt is having a problem with his old school non flexing skid ? (and thats just a stock 2012 with no belt drive)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE8YEM03Gi0

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
Does the poo still run a smaller coolant loop, smaller heat exchangers no rear tunnel exchangers? If so that would account for 20+ lbs.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Can't go wrong both great sled call the XM rear skid a gimmick or what ever you want just remember how many people laughted about the poo's being glued together and well I think thats worked pretty good.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
i have yet to see a newer poo not overheat on the trail up durring spring
riding

Because it was designed to run on a trail in the spring?

I ran my Pro into July two seasons ago. It does overheat unless you put the scratchers down - then it is just fine. I've always made sure I kick a little snow into the skid during the warmer temps and low snow.

S

schu

Nov 26, 2007
Houston, AK
I'm thinking about a new sled since I sold my 1M mod sled last season (around 190HP 460LBS) and what I'm looking for is reliability and a fun to ride chassis. The 1M had tons of power (on point and shoot hills it ate poos and doos), but in the trees it just wasn't as much fun to ride. Reliability was good since that engine is very reliable (especially when you assemble it correctly) but the clutching was difficult. It was geared too low which made it stupid quick, but you wouldn't dare go over 70-80 otherwise it would shift all the way out and destroy a belt. Getting a clutch setup that worked well on the high end usually resulted in it shifting too fast and I never could get it perfect with the limited time I had since I just wanted to ride the stupid thing.

Looking at my options, it's between the doo and poo since I really don't care for the cat chassis this year. Here is the pros and cons I've come up with and some questions:

Doo Pros
The engine is the strongest and seems reliable (though we did have guys blowing up 800R motors in our group)
Great fuel economy
More refined than the XP which I didn't care for since it seemed more picky.

Doo Cons
The engine is complex with the fuel system and engine mods are usually lacking, this is probably a leave it stock sled.
It's a bit heavier. I've ridden a 400lb sled and it was a blast.
Chaincase. I hate chains, they break, they need adjustments, they stretch.
The chassis seems more complex with everything being shrouded up.

Poo Pros
The chassis is really nice. It's nice and open, seems easy to work on.
I like the way it feels better (though I haven't ridden either, but I really didn't like the xp)
It's super light and could be even lighter without a ton of effort.
I prefer the polaris clutch over the TRA. The TRA always feels great on the bottom, then flat. The polaris clutch feels ok on the bottom, then rips.

Poo cons
Not as much power.
Lots of reliability issues. Some say the pistons are too loose, some say the rods are too short, some say the cylinders don't hold enough water, whatever it is, many people are not able to get 1500 miles out of these things without issues, and the issues are usually cracked cyls, broken skirts, etc.

Questions:

1. Are the skidoo engines as reliable as the older rotary valve engines? The gen 3 rotax had a lot of problems with rings, then cranks, then they went to a sealed crank bearings which is lame. The original 800 motor really dropped off after one season, and didn't rip again until it had weiscos in it. What is the consensus on the skidoo engine?

2. Can the skidoo chassis stand up to some abuse? The revs and xp's aren't hard to break. One thing I liked about the cat sleds is they are pretty tough.

What I really want is a polaris pro with a cat 800 engine. Put a slp pipe on it and they are strong and reliable.

Perhaps I should just forgo a new sled and pick up an 09m8 and put some money into getting it light.

schu

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
I'm thinking about a new sled since I sold my 1M mod sled last season (around 190HP 460LBS) and what I'm looking for is reliability and a fun to ride chassis. The 1M had tons of power (on point and shoot hills it ate poos and doos), but in the trees it just wasn't as much fun to ride. Reliability was good since that engine is very reliable (especially when you assemble it correctly) but the clutching was difficult. It was geared too low which made it stupid quick, but you wouldn't dare go over 70-80 otherwise it would shift all the way out and destroy a belt. Getting a clutch setup that worked well on the high end usually resulted in it shifting too fast and I never could get it perfect with the limited time I had since I just wanted to ride the stupid thing.

Looking at my options, it's between the doo and poo since I really don't care for the cat chassis this year. Here is the pros and cons I've come up with and some questions:

Doo Pros
The engine is the strongest and seems reliable (though we did have guys blowing up 800R motors in our group)
Great fuel economy
More refined than the XP which I didn't care for since it seemed more picky.

Doo Cons
The engine is complex with the fuel system and engine mods are usually lacking, this is probably a leave it stock sled.
It's a bit heavier. I've ridden a 400lb sled and it was a blast.
Chaincase. I hate chains, they break, they need adjustments, they stretch.
The chassis seems more complex with everything being shrouded up.

Poo Pros
The chassis is really nice. It's nice and open, seems easy to work on.
I like the way it feels better (though I haven't ridden either, but I really didn't like the xp)
It's super light and could be even lighter without a ton of effort.
I prefer the polaris clutch over the TRA. The TRA always feels great on the bottom, then flat. The polaris clutch feels ok on the bottom, then rips.

Poo cons
Not as much power.
Lots of reliability issues. Some say the pistons are too loose, some say the rods are too short, some say the cylinders don't hold enough water, whatever it is, many people are not able to get 1500 miles out of these things without issues, and the issues are usually cracked cyls, broken skirts, etc.

Questions:

1. Are the skidoo engines as reliable as the older rotary valve engines? The gen 3 rotax had a lot of problems with rings, then cranks, then they went to a sealed crank bearings which is lame. The original 800 motor really dropped off after one season, and didn't rip again until it had weiscos in it. What is the consensus on the skidoo engine?

2. Can the skidoo chassis stand up to some abuse? The revs and xp's aren't hard to break. One thing I liked about the cat sleds is they are pretty tough.

What I really want is a polaris pro with a cat 800 engine. Put a slp pipe on it and they are strong and reliable.

Perhaps I should just forgo a new sled and pick up an 09m8 and put some money into getting it light.

schu

here is my opinions/ answers to your questions
1) from what i have read and seen the etec 800 is a great motor. there
have been a few go down, but compared to the polaris 800, come on thats
a no brainer. they seem atleast as reliable as the m-8 motors.
2) there are a few guys in BC that got alot of seat time last year on the XM and are not afraid to abuse sleds and the word is they were very happy.

i bought this sled ( havent got it yet) because i knew this sled is pretty sharp
right out of the box. by the time you drop some weight w/ a new can and a good clutch/ gearing set up, this sled should be quite a peformer.
anyways thats my take on it CHEERS:yo:

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Does the poo still run a smaller coolant loop, smaller heat exchangers no rear tunnel exchangers? If so that would account for 20+ lbs.

Yes and yes; no front tunnel exchangers like on the standard RMK which does not have the cooling issues that the Pro has had. They definitely went to the very edge of what is acceptable in order to drop as much weight as possible. I do have to say tho that the lighter weight is definitely a noticeable advantage in the steep and deep!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
So do the xm upgrades finally make the Xp chassis handle as well as a late model rev? Honest question....

The pro.....in some ways....is a better, lighter, narrower, more tippy version of my 07 rev x. Which is exactly what I wanted, so I love it. I'd rather get kicked in the nuts repeatedly than try to ride technical terrain on an Xp. Jumping, hill climbing, trail.... no problem, but true technical riding. Not saying you can't do it. You can also row a boat to Maui....but better technology exists if ya know what I mean.

The xm, of course, will have a doo twist on it compared to a pro, which is great. If the handling has been tuned and engineered to the extent of the pros, it would be an interesting sled to try.

Premium Features