• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 mountain cat mods

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Yeah, a 2.5 fits without any mods, other than the right drivers. 10 tooth with a 2.5" pitch, 8 tooth for 3" pitch.

The 2.6 Powerclaw fits also with no mods. A 3" should probably fit with just dropping a tooth on the drivers.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
i'll assume you have a 159 now. do the 2.5" 16 wide camo 162. just get a stock king cat driveshaft/drivers (3" pitch) and it fits in there and works awesome on that sled, you might be able to find a used track camo 9944 as i recall. if you ride wet snow like pacific northwest the attack 20 in the hillclimb position is quite a fun track to ride. forget it in light dry power though. also, i am personally NOT a fan of the powerclaw on that sled.

slp cold air intake airbox top.

speedwerx single pipe and can. or some twins if you can find them.

I might have a king cat driveshaft with drivers if you need one i'd sell you.

G
Nov 4, 2010
important detail

One important thing is the coolers. Does your sled have the coolers running down middle of the tunnel or the edges?

If they are running down the edges then you can probably fit a 3" with the stock king cat drivers. my brother has an X3 on his with the stock drivers.
I will be putting a 3" on mine with the stock drivers. The 3" is a little tight but not too bad. A 2.5" would do better than the stock track.

Last edited:

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
My coolers run down the middle

That's actually a problem. It also means you don't really have an '03, you have an '02. Post up a picture of the sled, and the coolers if you can.

Coolers in the middle mean a notched track, and those are tougher to come by, and really limit your options unless you want to do a bunch of work.

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Yeah. That's either a highly modified -02, or a very early build -03. Doesn't have the star cutouts in the running boards, and doesn't have the corner tunnel coolers. Does it have a metal or plastic guard under the chaincase, or is the bellypan flat there?

If it's flat, it's an -02. If it's got a metal guard, it's an early -03. If it's got a plastic guard, then I don't know :-D

I'm leaning towards early build -03.

Last edited:

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Ok, yeah, an early build that someone's done a bunch of work to.

Still makes the track situation difficult. Unless you want to do a bunch of cutting notching a track or relocating coolers, you're pretty much stuck with the track you've got.

Honestly, I'd consider trying to sell it for $1000 or so, and get into a later 900 for $1500. You should be able to find one for that.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
i would try and find a 03.5 or newer 9001m or king cat if you riding deep snow . they preformed awesome and in my opinion were one of the best sleds i ever owned . the earlier sleds didn't have the drop and roll chain case the 1m's had

Premium Features