• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Got to see the 18's today

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
88f8189b75d34a3c4a9163653d6208c1.jpg

Bumper saved my sled here, faster than 5mph.

snowmow

J
Sep 9, 2016
88f8189b75d34a3c4a9163653d6208c1.jpg

Bumper saved my sled here, faster than 5mph.

snowmow
first off I'm glad it saved your snowmobile because I don't like to see anything bad happen. And I must admit I feel that the bumper helped glance the snowmobile away from the Plastics and such and did for all intent and purposes do something. But not much for me. I mean I do admit it does do something I am buying another one not just saying everyone take their bumpers off their useless but I'm not thinking it's going to save your sled if it really is going to crash into something seriously.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
89 Sandman already told me to stop being nice and taking this crap. So here it goes... Common Sense tells you that your truck bumper has at least a five mile an hour crash test at least if it's past a 1974? Please I beg you to drive your snowmobile directly a tree and I'm talking a big one at just five miles an hour and see what happens we'll see if you're bumper saves your snowmobile.:eyebrows:

Thats alright no need to justify myself with you. Ive already seen from experience, just like I already said.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Bumpers do work up to a point. If you center punch an old growth at 20 mph probably won't do much but become one with the motor. But as my buddy on a pro proved yesterday, about 10 times, that they will survive glancing blows and direct hits on smaller trees :) First upgrade I would do is add the Limited style bumper, that is if you happen to get up close and personal with trees now and again...

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Yes there are many types and speeds of bumper hits. Glazing the sled off a tree is where certain bumpers help the most. If I run my sled 90deg into a huge tree I deserve it, and obviously lost the sled or ran out of talent.

J
Sep 9, 2016
Thats alright no need to justify myself with you. Ive already seen from experience, just like I already said.
Justify? Really? Please give me some more of those analogies, you know the difference between a truck bumper and a 3-pound aluminum bumper. I mean this is really good stuff. I certainly didn't say anything about saving waight? And I'm certainly not telling everybody to take the bumpers off, there not worth nothing. I'm just saying the kind of power and speed these things have it's likely that that bumpers not going to do a whole lot that's been my experience again just came back from ordering a new one. I'm no snowmobile king or Internet know it all I'm just telling you it didn't do a lot for me and that was my experience.

J
Sep 9, 2016
Anyways back to the original subject. I was at the dealership yesterday ordering parts and seen the 18. I was very impressed with all the new upgrades. I'll have to put off any purchase till my skills on my current sled improved to the point to where I can blame it on the sled. At this point I know it's me.... :face-icon-small-win

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I stopped in to the dealer yesterday and looked at it, as soon as I looked at it I could tell it was a lot narrower than the previous proclimbs. Looking it over, fit and finish was greatly improved, although the throttle block and lever seem kinda cheap to me.

The front of the hood that people are talking about didn't stick past the bumper, but it was close.

The other thing that I noticed was that the console area has more of a flat spot right where your knees are, instead of being rounded off to where your knees can glance off it if you hit them. It might be personal preference, but it seems like your knees will take more of a beating when you're sitting and the trail gets rough, especially if you're tall like me.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I stopped in to the dealer yesterday and looked at it, as soon as I looked at it I could tell it was a lot narrower than the previous proclimbs. Looking it over, fit and finish was greatly improved, although the throttle block and lever seem kinda cheap to me.

The front of the hood that people are talking about didn't stick past the bumper, but it was close.

The other thing that I noticed was that the console area has more of a flat spot right where your knees are, instead of being rounded off to where your knees can glance off it if you hit them. It might be personal preference, but it seems like your knees will take more of a beating when you're sitting and the trail gets rough, especially if you're tall like me.
Knee pads on the sled and my body.
When going down hill, my knees are planted against the sled, gives a lot of control.
I really like the 18 panels, hold the knees well.

snowmow

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Knee pads on the sled and my body.
When going down hill, my knees are planted against the sled, gives a lot of control.
I really like the 18 panels, hold the knees well.

snowmow

Yep, invest in some knee pads and you will wonder how you ever rode without. That is one of my least favorite things about the previous proclimb is going down hill the rounded shape of the console pushes your legs out and stretches inner thigh/groin area uncomfortably. Also find it will at times start unzipping my pants from the bottom up. The new console feels much better and allows significantly more control in a downhill neutral position.

Seems to also direct the wind away from your body better. The old plastics basically carried the wind straight around the plastic and into your groin.

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
Yep, invest in some knee pads and you will wonder how you ever rode without. That is one of my least favorite things about the previous proclimb is going down hill the rounded shape of the console pushes your legs out and stretches inner thigh/groin area uncomfortably. Also find it will at times start unzipping my pants from the bottom up. The new console feels much better and allows significantly more control in a downhill neutral position.

Seems to also direct the wind away from your body better. The old plastics basically carried the wind straight around the plastic and into your groin.

I agree with you with the wind being detected in the groin area....
let me tell you having the first signs of frost bite isn't bad but the after math of thawing is not fun!!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
truck bumpers? are we all still driving 90s fords and chevs here? id probably add the proclimb bumper as well, but i think i know why their leaving it off this year. because the competition does. Also, it looks like the belly of the 18 is beefed up a little with more of a skidplate, so maybe can get away without the cattle guard ?

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Math time. A 1" diameter piece of steel takes 10,000 pounds to deflect it 0.5". So, a good bumper is obviously valuable and will prevent significant damage.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
first off I'm glad it saved your snowmobile because I don't like to see anything bad happen. And I must admit I feel that the bumper helped glance the snowmobile away from the Plastics and such and did for all intent and purposes do something. But not much for me. I mean I do admit it does do something I am buying another one not just saying everyone take their bumpers off their useless but I'm not thinking it's going to save your sled if it really is going to crash into something seriously.

omfg now we have a bumper expert !!! so awesome , i will direct all my bumper inquiries your way. So glad this hugely important matter has finaly been resolved:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton

J
Sep 9, 2016
omfg now we have a bumper expert !!! so awesome , i will direct all my bumper inquiries your way. So glad this hugely important matter has finaly been resolved:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton
Yeah I agree we have some real bumper experts out here. some of them doing the math calculations and some of them comparing truck bumpers to snowmobile bumpers. Or there's others like myself who are just giving their experiences. And then there's left-field Jack Wheels like yourself that just jump on here and make comments to stir the pot and add nothing to the content of a good discussion.

How do you like me now?:eyebrows:

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
all I can say is...bumpers have saved my sled on many occasions but I ride trees and trees and well trees, very slow technical riding
face-icon-small-tongue.gif

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah I agree we have some real bumper experts out here. some of them doing the math calculations and some of them comparing truck bumpers to snowmobile bumpers. Or there's others like myself who are just giving their experiences. And then there's left-field Jack Wheels like yourself that just jump on here and make comments to stir the pot and add nothing to the content of a good discussion.

How do you like me now?:eyebrows:

My truck bumper comment was a joke. Just like it's a joke to think a sled bumper does nothing for impact.

Premium Features