• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Front forks

C
Jun 27, 2014
I serched this came up with nothing. My ts dealer said to put the heaviest fork springs I can get in. Now my question is do I need to revalve the forks too? Any thoughts on this.....

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
The springs should be enough. A revalve would be a good idea if your suspension is suuuuuuper plush but when I sprung my WR it was a night and day difference. Just pop in the heaviest springs you can find and go to a thicker shock oil.... ride it!

C
Jun 27, 2014
The springs should be enough. A revalve would be a good idea if your suspension is suuuuuuper plush but when I sprung my WR it was a night and day difference. Just pop in the heaviest springs you can find and go to a thicker shock oil.... ride it!

Ok I will use thicker oil. My seals are leaking and need replaced so I was goin to get everything ordered in the next week or so. Just wanted to here how everyone is doing their setups. This site is a huge help on getting info on these kits and to setup the bike. I'm sure there is always somthing to change or try with every ride or mod before you get it how you want. Thanks

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
I've done nothing to my forks on my YZ450 for the last two seasons. Havent bottomed them, and I'm over 200. As stiff as my new SXF feels on the dirt, it maynot need anything either. But buddies that ride ktm XC500 W's, find them very soft.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
You can ride the stock SXF forks and they will do well. Not much submarine action like some of the enduro models. However having them stiffer does improve the ride. You get more feedback from the terrain and you can also run the roads faster with more confidence. If you've already made the decision to spend some coin on the bike there are much worse places to put good money.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Most modern forks require some specific tools and know how to change the springs. I would say your average snowbike owner will need professional to change the fork springs. Revalve is going to be key on bikes like wr crfx xcw and so on. Moto bikes will be valved far more aggressively so it is less of an issue. Personally I find the stock mushy forks on enduro bikes to suck for all types of riding I do ,so I would definitely revalve. SX setup with stiff springs will be the best.

M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
If you're sticking on the ground most of the time .52-.54 springs with stock valving should be fine. If you're going to spend much time jumping .54 or heavier with freestyle style valving is going to work better. This year I'm running a 300 ktm/ SX LT kit with Sxf forks, stock valving and .64 springs to try to maintain a better feel in the initial part of the stroke and still have good bottoming resistance. I picked up a used set of forks off eBay, because I know with my kind of riding there is a really good chance of bending fork tubes and I don't want to trash my expensive forks. I think its a better way to go running expendable forks with heavy springs and no valving instead of dumping a bunch of money into valving and springs on new forks, I just don t see them lasting all that long if you're going to ride hard. Another thing to keep in mind is that the St and LT kits are going to get overwhelmed fairly easy jumping, so if you're not running a SX kit, you shouldn't have much problem with the forks and putting a stiffer spring in should be fine for most people. The kx air forks sucked the first year, ladt year they worked allright if you keep checking the air pressure, this year they look pretty killer but I would still build a cheap set of spring forks because they are going to be really expensive to replace if you bend them.

Premium Features