• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lectron vs smart carb

W
Mar 10, 2010
Can't find a thread with what I want to know so I figured I would pose the question.

Going to run an 07 YZ450F snow bike kit this season and I've read there is a heated carb kit for the smart carb. I see that they are months away from shipping a 40mm billet carb so I am interested in the lectron as well. Any input in either direction is appreciated.

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
Ah contrare

They shipped 38 and 40MM Smartys my way last week -- one 38MM and two 40MM's, all three billet. You might want to check in with the experts about 38 versus 40 for your application. Regardless, my understanding is the the billets are more readily available than the casts. Good luck.

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
Hold out for the Smart Carb. Reviews I've seen and heard are remarkable. I really regret buying my Lectrons after reading about these. What about the cast carb instead of billet? Maybe they only had them in a 38mm...??? I think they were more available when I looked into it. As far as heated, I haven't heard of this option/accesory. :devil:

W
Mar 10, 2010
There is another post on here about avid products carb heater for the smart carb. Mtn-doo seems to be the guy fabricating a kit to work with most bikes. That's going to be the main reason I will be going with a smart carb over a lectron unless someone has the same option for a lectron.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I have owned a lectron for over a year now and it works great.... that being said I did order a smarty billet...and the heat collar because they are tried and true in the snow... I run my Lectron from 20 degrees to 100 degrees.. from 10000 to 3500 I never change a thing (once I got it set up)... I talked to the owner and he said he can manufacture a one off that allows for a coolant line to run through the bell... being this is for my wife I was not going to be the guinea pig.. I am interested in the external adjustments also.. I ordered a billet one a month back and recieved it within four days.. both of mine are for a 2 stroke though..

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Something else to keep in mind is when you go with a metered carb it will run like a larger stock carb... that is something I would talk to them direct about though.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Can't find a thread with what I want to know so I figured I would pose the question.

Going to run an 07 YZ450F snow bike kit this season and I've read there is a heated carb kit for the smart carb. I see that they are months away from shipping a 40mm billet carb so I am interested in the lectron as well. Any input in either direction is appreciated.

The cast models are going through a change to a true di-cast. I understand the cast program will have a delay.

The Billet Models are readily available. I ordered and received 3, 38MM and 2, 40MM Billets quickly. I have several customers ordering Billets and receiving them in a timely matter. Corey told me they can make the Billet models all day long. Not the issues with the cast models.

W
Mar 10, 2010
I emailed the guys at smart carb and lectron both on sunday night. Got a response from Lectron in 24 hours. Still haven't heard from smart carb...

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I know I've received good service from both companies. But the owner of lectron is a lot more approachable it seems like... But I have only talked to smart carbs employees and not to Corey directly.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I emailed the guys at smart carb and lectron both on sunday night. Got a response from Lectron in 24 hours. Still haven't heard from smart carb...

You will hear soon. I was speaking with Tom earlier and he mentioned fielding through all of the emails and especially technical data emails, in respect to the time and details needed for each response. Corey is great to visit with. However being in the position of running the company, he cannot be on the phone and computer all day. They have a great staff. Try option "0" for the operator then ask for Tom. He will take good care of you.

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt

Wakeandsnow, Was visiting with Tom a few minutes ago and mentioned your comment about 40MM Billets being "Months away". He confirmed they are in stock and can ship tomorrow. You must have gotten bad info somewhere? Give them a call and you're set. The Carb Heater will fit your Billet 40. I just received a Billet 40 for a Husaburg 4 stroke project.

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I would go with the smart carb... let me tell you the Billet is a work of art;)

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
450 smart or lectron

does any one on the forum have real world experience with either of these carbs on 450 4 stroke singles ? and observations on performance improvements over stock carbs ?

I can rave on about how these carbs have improved my TWO STROKE test bike, but other than testing on Harley twins twenty years ago, I can't find any reliable feed back on current 4 stroke singles........anyone.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
My opinions are based on my 2 stroke applications....the only 4 stroke I have is my wife's 150r and Lectron can make one but it would be the first... I was going to try one... Smart carb will not make one small enough for this bike and of course this is a wheel only bike;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hang on.... It's coming. There is a ton of "real world experience" now for two years in testing and development. The dyno sheets, fuel consumption, AFR readings at all temp and altitudes, and overall HP gains are coming. They are producing tremendous results. I am installing four stroke applications now. We will post results and vid's as we move along. APT will be releasing test and performance results soon.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
4 stroke single with smarty or lectron ?

still a mystery I guess, anyone with firsthand experience with either of these carbs on a working FOUR STROKE bike ?

I have a lectron ready to go for my wr, but I have too many other mods to work through early season before I can take time to carb tune.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I know for the 2 stroke they come pretty well tuned... even in its worse state it ran good.... there was just a small amount of tuning to get to great

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
still a mystery I guess, anyone with firsthand experience with either of these carbs on a working FOUR STROKE bike ?

I have a lectron ready to go for my wr, but I have too many other mods to work through early season before I can take time to carb tune.

Coming soon. Several race teams are running the new 40mm FCR Smart Carb. I am getting one now for testing.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
OK

MOTOSPORTZ in WA. Lectrons for your 4 stroke, about $400, read up on them, I ll report on mine when new track is on, all about right needle.

C
Jun 27, 2014
How would a 40mm run compared to a 43mm carb? I know my big carb is spot on and good for a couple hp. Just wondering is all.

Premium Features