• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

primary spring change

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
getting ready to do my first primary spring change:

any tips, pointers, suggestions?

what is the torque value for the cover bots?
do i use any kind of locktite on them?

thanks

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
try and remove them all evenly, make sure to mark the cover and the clutch so it goes back on the way it came off, no loctite on the bolts, put them back in as even as you can and tighten them in a star pattern similar to lug nuts on a tire, done

R

RiotCountry

Jul 11, 2010
Minneapolis
Follow the instructions above.

Be sure not to over tighten the bolts. Snug them up with a socket. When I was doing this a few years back I accidently set my torque wrench to double the ft/lbs and snapped the bolt in the hole... thankfully and luckily both pcs backed out when I removed the bolt... that was a "Oh SH**" moment followed by a "Wow I can't believe that just happened" lol.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Follow the instructions above.

Be sure not to over tighten the bolts. Snug them up with a socket. When I was doing this a few years back I accidently set my torque wrench to double the ft/lbs and snapped the bolt in the hole... thankfully and luckily both pcs backed out when I removed the bolt... that was a "Oh SH**" moment followed by a "Wow I can't believe that just happened" lol.

I did that and was not as lucky, I had to drill out the bolt then re-tap to a 8mm bolt for all the bolts. Torque to 12 ftlbs. I do not guess anymore.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Make sure the bolts slide into the cover freely. In the last one I did, the bolts were so tight in the holes that it stretched them in the threads when the cover was originally installed at the factory. One of them snapped when I was putting it back together before the cover was even down all the way. I had to get all new bolts and then run a drill bit through the holes so the bolts were free.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
It's pretty easy, just did it at a bar here in MI. Wanted to add some weight, we just took out bolts and cover on machine and lined back up the blue marks (or yellow) on cover when a friend held it in place. Took longer to get the magnets in my weights than getting cover and spring off/on.

B
Oct 13, 2012
S.E. SK
12 ft lb's, criss cross, don't over torque cover bolts, cam arm pins, primary bolt, especially primary bolt!.. as stated ^^^. And my '13 service manual says blue locktight on the coverplate bolt threads. Shouldn't be an issue though since these bolts all have lock washers.

if u use the clutch dummy tool it only takes a fraction of the time to remove/install that it normally would. With the tool and an impact, it takes me less than 10 minutes to compress secondary, remove primary bolt, thread in tool, compress spring, take off cover, change springs, and reverse process, while still cleaning up the threads, re-locktighting, and torquing each bolt, criss cross... great tool for changing weights too, removing/installing cover, changing spring, checking for binding, etc. Safe for you, safe for the coverplate bolt threads, easy to use, cheap, no brainer

Premium Features