• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Allen’s Tech Tips, “Getting Brake System Working”

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
Allen’s Tech Tips, “Getting Brake System Working”

When I install a kit I do not need to ever bleed the brake. This is what I do that works every time and will take only a few minutes.

1. Hook the entire brake system up.
  2. Remove the master cylinder fill cap (hand or foot master cylinder).
  3. Prepare a 1”od medical style syringe with a hose on the end that will fit the bleed screw on the caliper.
  4. Suck the remaining brake fluid out of the master cylinder using the syringe.
  5. Fill the syringe all the way up with brake fluid.
  6. Crack the bleed screw loose in the caliper so you can open and close it with your fingers.
  7. Place the syringe hose on the bleed screw.
  8. Open the bleed screw with hose on and proceed to push the brake fluid in until the master cylinder reservoir is full. Then turn the bleed screw in with your fingers and remove the hose. Then tighten the bleed screw.
  9. Flick the brake lever about 20 to 30 times and you should see tiny air bubbles coming out; do this until you do not see any more.
  10. Is should work at this point. Pump your brake up until it is firm.
  11. If your brake is not all the way firm then fill the reservoir and put the cap back on and it will firm up after the first ride or after sitting for a few days.

G
Nov 12, 2013
Used this method on mine and it worked perfectly! The bubbles are extremely small and hard to see but they are there. Once they stopped (after approx. 50 flicks of the brake lever) I had a solid firm lever.

Premium Features