• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 RMK 700 AND 2005 RMK 700

S
Sep 14, 2010
NW IOWA
Ive had an 02 rmk 700 for awhile and i just picked up an 05 rmk 700. Im wondering what the differences are between the two. The 05 has a liberty motor? im sure they are both really good. What should the compression be on them?

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Differences

They both are Liberties.

The primary difference I know of besides having PERC is that the 05 has a DET sensor and the CDI can flash a warning light when detonation is occurring to try and prevent engine damage.

I don't see compression listed in my 05 service manual. Maybe someone else will have some numbers for you to benchmark from.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Did you get the whole chassis or just motor?

05 has a different track most likely. 05 chassis is actually the "escape" chassis with the phantom break and different chaincase. It should also have pivot bars with a different steering post. Trailing arms and rear suspension arms are also different. Same geometries, just built different.

With the PERC you get an 18 degree flywheel instead of the 14 degree one on the '02 and a reverse oil pump.

There are some slight differences in the cooling system on the 05, hose routing and such.

I don't know the compression on the 05 motor, but some of the 02 motors were really hot motors. We had one in our group that was boarderline on compression being too high, but the thing was a rocket ship.

sled_guy

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Differences

I forgot about the hose routing. I switched my 03 out to the 04 routing when I went to DET as I think it's a big improvement for keeping the motor cooler. The head has a much larger inlet fitting and the flow makes more sense.

I'd be interested to hear if the 05 has the t-post steering like the 04 Escape has.

I didn't realize that the 05 might have incorporated some of the 04 VE components to reduce weight.

I also upgraded my 03 to the Hayes dual piston brake and the newer style chaincase. I think the chain tensioner is a big improvement over the regular Edge.

S
Sep 14, 2010
NW IOWA
I picked up a complete running sled with 786 miles and PERC. Compression on the 05 is 135. Compression on my 02 is 145 and that has 3000 miles. Just kinda stumped me.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I don't think the 700s got the decompression hole, only the 800s, but I may be wrong there.

I think they detuned the 700s a bit after 02... our 02 with an SLP single would out run and out climb 800s but you had to have good fuel or you would get detonation.

I'm not sure on the steering post the more I think about it. Polaris was playing parts games in 2005 because it was the last year of the big block Edge chassis. Parts fische says it wasn't the t-post on any 05s, but I have a neighbor with an '05 800 that he bought brand new and it does have the t-post.

sled_guy

S
Sep 14, 2010
NW IOWA
I will take a look a my steering post, One thing i want to add is that the 05 was rebuilt at 400 miles, so it dosent have much one the rebuild. I read 110 on each side when i picked it up, my guage was one week old and its a leslie. I used this same gauge on my 02 700 and read 145. (i really need to try my guage again on the 05) So i brought it in to get fixed and they tested 135 on each side with his guage.

The guy who bought it new put on 400 the first year and then it sat for 3 or 4 years. The guy i bought it from blew it up right away. He put a new crank and pistons in. Also the cylinders were redone. He though the pto seal went out.

Just wondering if im ok to run it, re ring it now, or run it and just watch the compression. Maybe 135 is great.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Decompression Hole

There is a small passage drilled into the top section of the cylinder that leads out to the exhaust valve area for a minor amount of the compression stroke to bleed out.

It makes the motor a little easier to pull over, especially at low elevations and when it's really cold out.

SLP and others will weld them closed and I think the advertising might say you pick up 2 hp.

It started in 2003. My son has an 02 and it pulls over harder than my 03 and 04.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I checked, the 05 700 has decomp holes. So you're going to have a lower reading on your gauge because of that... not a huge amount though I don't believe.

As Mark'sRMK says, they can be plugged. Actually they aren't welded shut... they are drilled and a plug tapped in to them.

sled_guy

N

nitris223

Nov 26, 2007
135 psi is what I get on mine also. Was like that new and after a rebuild at 2600 mile it still reads 135 psi.

Premium Features