• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what is considered high mileage

A
Oct 26, 2009
just picked up an 02 polaris edge 800,it has approx 2400 miles on I have noticed other ones for sale with upwards of 5000-6000 miles and still want good bucks for them, what are these sleds capibale of for mileage before they need to be rebuilt

L
Nov 4, 2009
2400 miles for an 02 is pretty low good sleds in my opinion and you can expect to get about 4500 before you should have any crank issues if you got the money or the time get the oversize bearings!!!!! That will make it last way longer thats probably why the ones with 5000-6000 are asking big bucks engine number 2

B

boxster7614

Sep 20, 2008
It is a matter of opinon. The polaris 800 is hard on cranks and you can see crank failures from 1-6000 miles. You just never know. There are guys who will rebuild for peace of mind. Then there are guys who will run them until they break. I think a good recomendation for peace of mind would be to rebuild the crank every 3000-3500 miles. piston more frequent....pistons are cheap. If you are running a forged piston they recomend every 1600. you can always check the crank runout, but we had one break that was still in spec at 2400 miles.

I dont think 2400 miles is alot for a sled that year. High milage to me is in the 5000-6000 range just my .02$

If you are on a budget at least do the following. Get you clutch balanced around $35-40, and if it already doesn't have it, Put on a torque arm ($83 SLP) to keep that motor from twisting (thats what breaks the crank)

If you want to freshen up the top end you can find a top end rebuild kit on ebay for around $250 with the pistons and gaskets. but You would probably get another season out of the motor the way it is.

A
Sep 24, 2009
clinton ny
also depends on the riding u r doing. I personaly called indy dan this summer and asked him about getting my crank case line bored and all that jazz. he told me if i wasn't riding in the mountains then i didnt need to get it done becasue it probably was not going to have an issue. if im in the mountains doing hill climbs and that kind of thing he said its almost mandatory as there is so much wide open use. I have 4400 on my pro x2 800 and no probems besides a dropped exhaust valve and a frozen clutch.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
The 800's have a strong tendancy to tear the front engine mounts apart, fairly frequently. Replace them if you just bought it. Also double nut the bolts on the front engine mounts. Once they tear or loosen, then you get crank issues. And keep the factory torque stop tight against the engine block, despite what polaris says. Replace the rear idlers and drive sprocket shaft bearings, asap. Check all other bearings and replace as needed. Replace plastic grommets as they get ovalled out. There is an almost endless list of things you can replace, or rebuild at 2400 miles. Like VES diaphragms and gaskets, rings, water pump, oil pump, tunnel cracks, etc.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Whoisthatguy are you a big guy? I only ask because I have seen you post about tunnel cracks several times.

My sled has somewhere between 5-6000 miles and there is no cracks. It has been ridden hard. Rolled to the bottom of many hills, endoed twice on the trail, you name it.

Never torn a front motor mount, though I have torn a rear mount at about 2400 miles.

What plastic grommets are you talking about?

Never heard of anyone replacing an oil pump.

At 2400 miles I would change the driveshaft bearing, balance the clutch. Check the crank runout and get it fixed if you can. Change the waterpump belt, would be a good time for pistons.

Any 2 stroke needs some attention by about 2400 miles. Lots of guys just run them till they quit but thats not the way they were intended. Your crank is the limiting factor at that point. If you address a few items like I posted above about every 2500 miles and do good seasonal checks and replacement of worn parts the sled will last indefinitely.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Arguments can be made for both sides HOWEVER. The thing that needs to be taken into account is How hard was the sled rode for those miles and what kind of maintenance was done to it.

Something can have 3000 miles and be in worse shape mechanically that something with 8000 miles if it was never maintained by and abusive neglectful rider.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
It is a matter of opinon. The polaris 800 is hard on cranks and you can see crank failures from 1-6000 miles. You just never know. There are guys who will rebuild for peace of mind. Then there are guys who will run them until they break. I think a good recomendation for peace of mind would be to rebuild the crank every 3000-3500 miles. piston more frequent....pistons are cheap. If you are running a forged piston they recomend every 1600. you can always check the crank runout, but we had one break that was still in spec at 2400 miles.

I dont think 2400 miles is alot for a sled that year. High milage to me is in the 5000-6000 range just my .02$

If you are on a budget at least do the following. Get you clutch balanced around $35-40, and if it already doesn't have it, Put on a torque arm ($83 SLP) to keep that motor from twisting (thats what breaks the crank)

If you want to freshen up the top end you can find a top end rebuild kit on ebay for around $250 with the pistons and gaskets. but You would probably get another season out of the motor the way it is.

good info..I will add this..if you shred alot of belts..your crank is short lived..if your clutching is good and you dont eat belts..your crank will last a good long time....I put 12000 miles on my 02 in the first 2 years I had it(I used to ride alot..)I got 1 crank ..that was with 5300 miles on it..it broke between the 2 pto bearings, 2 weeks after I exploded a belt on a tough climb.....

Vertical Asshauler

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Kelowna, BC

What Ive seen on average is most of the edge 800's last around 3500mi but you have to remeber how the person rides. trail riders will last ALOT longer then mountain riders.

Even getting snow on the clutches and having the belt slip then grab will bend the crank. good oil and good fuel is always a HUGE factor for how long a motor will last also.

The design polaris made on the edge 800's crank (which could be better), is only doing a single bearing and a spacer on the PTO side. Upgrading to the double bearing with a thin shim is the way to make them much stronger. The new D800's have a triple on the PTO side now. Polaris was thinking this time around!

IMO forged pistons are complete junk! Ive seen so many failures related to the pins falling out, rings turnign and catching a port (which gets super expensive). Theyre just too soft to be run in an egnine revving 8000+ rpm all day long. Cast pistons will outlast.

Premium Features