• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

any major issues with m7???

S

superfast

Nov 26, 2007
Billings Montana
05 the attack twenty is a big issue get rid of it. Holz relocation bracket for the rear suspension on both. That would be about it cause I am assuming that she is not going to be hard core on it right?

C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
The attack 20 is a real eyeopener going downhill in spring snow.
My wife rides an 07 M6 and it is/has been a great sled for her. We set her front susp. up very light just onto the springs and backed the center off some to add a little ski pressure. The wife weighs 115# so that may help some with set up.
I just posted elsewhere how much fun it has been having my wife ride with the boys this year and how cool it is to see her "Get-it" as she comes blasting through the trees.
I would say go for it if you get one that has not been beat to much.

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
A friend of mine used to own an M7. One day after a ride, he went home and told his wife that there was something wrong with his new sled. She freaked out, and said "what is wrong with that sled that you just spent so much money for"? He replied. "I can't keep the skis on the ground". :)

Now he rides an M8, and loves it.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
theres three 06 m7s in our group and they are pretty much bullet proof. two have around 3000 miles and one has about 2000, and i've heard of them as high as 7000 on a stock motor. the only spendy issue we've had was the stock primarys on all three pretty much went to crap around 1500 miles. other than that pretty much flawless once you get them tuned well.

H

harper

Dec 16, 2007
manitoba
I have a '05 M7 , love it.

HRP bracket, vent kit and a few other small things make a bit better than stock.

Get rid of the A20 track, great in powder, terrible on the trail.
( i just reversed my A20 and now it has great traction but no braking, shoots a 30ft rooster tail, looks great)

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Make sure and ask if the sled has had any wiring issues, specifically at the rear of the sled. Some had a spot where the wires would rub on the tunnel and then it would confuse the ecu. Back near the tail light.Thought of something else to check,,, look at the D/D on tunnel side, look for any signs of gear oil leakage. Ask owner how often the D/D oil was changed. If he's honest you should get an answer accordingly.

Last edited:
S
Feb 4, 2008
Seattle wa
Make sure and ask if the sled has had any wiring issues, specifically at the rear of the sled. Some had a spot where the wires would rub on the tunnel and then it would confuse the ecu. Back near the tail light.Thought of something else to check,,, look at the D/D on tunnel side, look for any signs of gear oil leakage. Ask owner how often the D/D oil was changed. If he's honest you should get an answer accordingly.

well some of the issues you guys list im going to have to find out for myself the sled only has 318 miles on it and im picking it up saturday. thanks again for your assistance. is the wiring issue right under the back seat? i know some about the attack 20 but shes not a climber so it should be perfect for her, doesn't it stop very well on the downhill? i assume your talking about the diamond drive does a seal go out that causes problems? thanks for your insight.

M
Nov 23, 2008
Vancouver, wash
I have 06 m7 love it no problems at all has 1100 miles. When you get yours call your local cat dealer and give them the vin # they will be able to tell you if any and all recalls have been done.

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
m-7 track

If it has the a-20 straiten the lugs out and it works good down the trail

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Spoon,, the tail light wires at the light itself, sounds like you found a nice one! Ya, just look over the D/D real well just for good measure change the oil in the D/D some say on here to change it every 500 mi. or so,can't hurt.

M
Dec 23, 2007
Washington
well some of the issues you guys list im going to have to find out for myself the sled only has 318 miles on it and im picking it up saturday. thanks again for your assistance. is the wiring issue right under the back seat? i know some about the attack 20 but shes not a climber so it should be perfect for her, doesn't it stop very well on the downhill? i assume your talking about the diamond drive does a seal go out that causes problems? thanks for your insight.

The attack 20 sucks coming down hill, its alright on the trail. The wiring problem is in the taillight. Yea the diamond drive has a seal that goes out and lets water enter it. so if you change the seals, and oil you sould be fine. i didnt change mine tilll the sled had 1800 miles and it was fine.

S
Feb 4, 2008
Seattle wa
thanks for all the input. i ended up not buying the one i thought i was going to so if someones looking there is a like new(318miles) 05 m7 in portland oregon for 4600 obo. I just picked a black one up with a challenger track 153 and 418miles. it was only a ferry ride away. he sadi he didn't know about any recalls but he's the second owner. hifaxes are shot though gotta buy new ones tommorow.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Newfoundland
I have a 06 M7 and its been a great sled. Never let me down and always gets me home. The challenger is a much better all around track than the attack 20. I have over 4000 miles and have only changed plugs and 2 belts. Besides that its been a pull and go sled. I like SlyDogs on mine and scratchers are a must. Besides that its been a perfect sled. Even the clutching was real good from the factory. I go more places on my M7 141" than my buddy can on his 08 M8 153". But he isnt as good a rider either.

S
Dec 25, 2008
I have an 06 m7 and it has been bullit proof so far. Changed d drive once a year and change you secondary to 10.4 and it will last forever. Also with your at20 take and cut half the lip off of every lug and it hooks up better and you still get the float in the deep endless powder.

Premium Features